DRS4 Forum
  DRS4 Discussion Forum, Page 4 of 40  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Author Subjectup
  565   Mon Nov 21 14:13:32 2016 Stefan RittChannel offsets in GetTime()

Cell 700 is arbitrary. You can choose any cell to align the channels to each other. The only requirement is that it's always the same cell for each event. Historically, Daniel chose cell #700 more or less arbitrary, but later we found out that this works with any cell. So for the publication we went with cell #0 (and that's why we have t_ch,0 in the paper), but cell #700 was left in the code because of lazyness. Feel free to replace 700 with any other number and you should get the same result. In a newer version of the software I use

// align cell#0 of all channels
float t1 = time[0][(1024-tc) % 1024];
for (int ch=1 ; ch<8 ; ch++) {
   float t2 = time[ch][(1024-tc) % 1024];
   float dt = t1 - t2;

   for (int i=0 ; i<1024 ; i++)
      time[ch][i] += dt;
   }

 

which is also a bit simpler. So time[ch] contains already the integrated time array (like 0.2 ns, 0.4 ns, 0.6 ns if at 5 GSPS, not the delta_t values as in the DRS.cpp code). Since the readout starts with cell # tc, the cell time[channel][1024-tc] is the physical cell #0 of the chip. The code makes sure that cell #0 in all 8 channels has the same time value.

Best regards,
Stefan

 

Kurtis Nishimura wrote:

Hello,

I have a question about the GetTime() method in DRS.cpp.  I understand how the DT values are applied for all channels, and I also understand from the evaluation board manual that the timing of each channel is synchronized at sample 0, so samples should really be aligned from channel-to-channel relative to sample 0.

However, DRS.cpp has the following snippet in DrsBoard::GetTime():

   if (channelIndex > 0) {
      // correct all channels to channel 0 (Daniel's method)
      iend = tc >= 700 ? 700+1024 : 700;
      for (i=tc,gt0=0 ; i<iend ; i++)
         gt0 += fCellDT[chipIndex][0][i % 1024];
      
      for (i=tc,gt=0 ; i<iend ; i++)
         gt += fCellDT[chipIndex][channelIndex][i % 1024];
      
      for (i=0 ; i<fChannelDepth ; i++)
         time[i] += (float)(gt0 - gt);
   }

I can see what this is calculating and applying such an offset, but I don't understand why things seem to be referenced to sample 700.  Is there a particular reason why sample 700 is chosen here?  This does not seem like a straightforward application of the attached instructions from the evaluation board user's manual.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much,

-Kurtis

 

  222   Wed Feb 27 13:47:32 2013 Georg WinnerChip Test - Cell Error

When starting Chip Test in DRS Command Line Interface, I receive the following message:

Cell error on channel 1, cell 5: -154.4 mV instead 0 mV

Chip Error!

What does this mean? The maximal peak-to-peak Amplitude given to channel was for a short time 10V.

The graphical interface shows no artefacts when using channel 1.

 

  227   Wed Mar 6 13:08:03 2013 Stefan RittChip Test - Cell Error

Georg Winner wrote:

When starting Chip Test in DRS Command Line Interface, I receive the following message:

Cell error on channel 1, cell 5: -154.4 mV instead 0 mV

Chip Error!

What does this mean? The maximal peak-to-peak Amplitude given to channel was for a short time 10V.

The graphical interface shows no artefacts when using channel 1.

 

The "Chip Test" command is made for a special test board we use for chip testing. This command will not work with the evaluation board, since only four of the 8 DRS channels are connected there. So just ignore it and verify the board functionality by looking at the graphical interface.

/Stefan 

  386   Wed Oct 15 10:14:32 2014 Simon WeingartenClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Hi,

I'm currently working on a little DAQ system with four DRS evaluation boards. Do i need to apply any specific settings when using the clock in/out connectors for synchronization? I do not see anything like that in the drs_exam_multi example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Simon

  387   Wed Oct 15 10:52:58 2014 Stefan RittClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Simon Weingarten wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently working on a little DAQ system with four DRS evaluation boards. Do i need to apply any specific settings when using the clock in/out connectors for synchronization? I do not see anything like that in the drs_exam_multi example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Simon

Right, I did not yet put any code there. What you need on all slave boards is

b->SetRefclk(true);

b->SetFrequency(...);

Set SetFrequency() is needed to restart the boards with the external clock.

This works of course only if you have the clock signals connected as written in the manual. If not, the boards won't work after you switch the reference clock.

Best regards,
Stefan 

  388   Wed Oct 15 11:34:43 2014 Simon WeingartenClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Simon Weingarten wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently working on a little DAQ system with four DRS evaluation boards. Do i need to apply any specific settings when using the clock in/out connectors for synchronization? I do not see anything like that in the drs_exam_multi example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Simon

Right, I did not yet put any code there. What you need on all slave boards is

b->SetRefclk(true);

b->SetFrequency(...);

Set SetFrequency() is needed to restart the boards with the external clock.

This works of course only if you have the clock signals connected as written in the manual. If not, the boards won't work after you switch the reference clock.

Best regards,
Stefan 

Thank you so much for the fast reply! I'll give it a try.

 

Best regards,

Simon

  389   Wed Oct 15 12:15:58 2014 Stefan RittClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Here is the full version of the program with clock daisy-chaining. Before switching to the external clock, it checks if the clock really is there (by reading an internal scaler), and only then enables it. Note that the code also works without clock daisy-chaining. But without clock daisy-chaining your have some 400 ps time resolution between boards, and with clock daisy-chaining you get some 60 ps.

  403   Fri Apr 17 10:07:38 2015 Simon WeingartenClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Hi Stefan,

do you know how these numbers (400ps and 60ps) scale with the sampling rate? The manual says they are for 5GS/s, do they change with slower sampling?

Thanks and best regards,

Simon

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Here is the full version of the program with clock daisy-chaining. Before switching to the external clock, it checks if the clock really is there (by reading an internal scaler), and only then enables it. Note that the code also works without clock daisy-chaining. But without clock daisy-chaining your have some 400 ps time resolution between boards, and with clock daisy-chaining you get some 60 ps.

 

  404   Mon Apr 20 13:08:24 2015 Stefan RittClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

The resolution coming from the sampling rate goes into these numbers, but just marginally. At 5 GSPS, you get a few ps reolution, while at 1 GSPS, you get like 15 ps. If you convolve 15 ps with 400 ps, you get 400.3 ps, which is not significantly worse than 400 ps.

Simon Weingarten wrote:

Hi Stefan,

do you know how these numbers (400ps and 60ps) scale with the sampling rate? The manual says they are for 5GS/s, do they change with slower sampling?

Thanks and best regards,

Simon

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Here is the full version of the program with clock daisy-chaining. Before switching to the external clock, it checks if the clock really is there (by reading an internal scaler), and only then enables it. Note that the code also works without clock daisy-chaining. But without clock daisy-chaining your have some 400 ps time resolution between boards, and with clock daisy-chaining you get some 60 ps.

 

 

  471   Tue Jan 12 17:57:03 2016 Jack BargemannCompiling DRS-exam

I am trying to compile drs-exam, but am getting an error message I do not understand:

1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_open referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_close referenced in function _musb_close
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_get_descriptor referenced in function _musb_get_device
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_bulk_write referenced in function _musb_write
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_bulk_read referenced in function _musb_read
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_configuration referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_claim_interface referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_release_interface referenced in function _musb_close
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_altinterface referenced in function _musb_set_altinterface
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_reset referenced in function _musb_reset
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_init referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_debug referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_find_busses referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_find_devices referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_get_busses referenced in function _musb_open

I have tried redownloading a different version of libusb-1.0, but the problem was not solved.  What might I be doing wrong?

  472   Tue Jan 12 21:02:31 2016 Stefan RittCompiling DRS-exam

I guess you are compiling under MS Windows ??? You probably don't link correctly to the USB lib. Try to compile the examples coming with libusb-1.0 to make you everything is right there.

Jack Bargemann wrote:

I am trying to compile drs-exam, but am getting an error message I do not understand:

1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_open referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_close referenced in function _musb_close
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_get_descriptor referenced in function _musb_get_device
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_bulk_write referenced in function _musb_write
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_bulk_read referenced in function _musb_read
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_configuration referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_claim_interface referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_release_interface referenced in function _musb_close
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_altinterface referenced in function _musb_set_altinterface
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_reset referenced in function _musb_reset
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_init referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_debug referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_find_busses referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_find_devices referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_get_busses referenced in function _musb_open

I have tried redownloading a different version of libusb-1.0, but the problem was not solved.  What might I be doing wrong?

 

  781   Wed Oct 23 17:56:26 2019 John JendzurskiComputing corrected time from binary data...what is t_0,0?

In the equations for computing the corrected time for channels other than channel 1, does anyone know what the term t0,0 refers to?  This is the last term in the last equation on page 24 of DRS4 Evaluation Board User’s Manual, Board Revision 5 as of January 2014, Last revised: April 27, 2016.

Screenshot from User's Manual is attached below.

Thank you!

  782   Fri Oct 25 16:39:07 2019 Stefan RittComputing corrected time from binary data...what is t_0,0?

t0,0 refers to the time of cell #0 of channel #0. So basically you keep channel 0 fixed, calculate the difference of each channel's cell #0 in respect to channel 0, and align all channels except channel 0 so that their cell #0 has the same value. There is an inconsistency between the channel numbering. The formula uses 0...3 and the manual says "channel 1" but it means actually the first channel, which uses index "0".

Stefan

John Jendzurski wrote:

In the equations for computing the corrected time for channels other than channel 1, does anyone know what the term t0,0 refers to?  This is the last term in the last equation on page 24 of DRS4 Evaluation Board User’s Manual, Board Revision 5 as of January 2014, Last revised: April 27, 2016.

Screenshot from User's Manual is attached below.

Thank you!

 

  4   Wed Feb 11 12:21:07 2009 Stefan RittCorrected datasheet Rev. 0.8

 Please note the new datasheet Rev. 0.8 available from the DRS web site. It fixes the label of pin #76, which was AGND but is actualy AVDD. The input IN8+ is located at pin #20 and not at pin #19 as described in the old table 2.

  436   Thu Jul 2 13:20:51 2015 Felix BachmairCreation of Object files

HI,

We are using the DRS4 Board in the EUDAQ framework [1]. We wrote a a Producer based on the software of the evaluation board, which is using the DRS class/header/src files.

In order to make it work we needed to compile it with a shared object file. [2]

Would it be possbile to include a shared object in the 'official' release? 

Cheers

Felix

 

 

[1]https://telescopes.desy.de/EUDAQ

[2]https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared

  437   Fri Jul 3 17:13:27 2015 Stefan RittCreation of Object files

Hi Felix,

the distribution does not contain any binaries, since there are too many Linux distributions around, so everybody compiles from the sources under Linux. Do you want me to just add libDRS.so to the official Makefile? Actually you are the first one asking for this. Would it be beneficial to have this in the distribution, or can you just maintain your own Makefile in the github repository?

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

HI,

We are using the DRS4 Board in the EUDAQ framework [1]. We wrote a a Producer based on the software of the evaluation board, which is using the DRS class/header/src files.

In order to make it work we needed to compile it with a shared object file. [2]

Would it be possbile to include a shared object in the 'official' release? 

Cheers

Felix

 

 

[1]https://telescopes.desy.de/EUDAQ

[2]https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared

 

  438   Mon Jul 6 11:30:56 2015 Felix BachmairCreation of Object files

Hi Stefan,

That's fine for me. I thought it might be interesting for others as well..

Cheers

Felix

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Hi Felix,

the distribution does not contain any binaries, since there are too many Linux distributions around, so everybody compiles from the sources under Linux. Do you want me to just add libDRS.so to the official Makefile? Actually you are the first one asking for this. Would it be beneficial to have this in the distribution, or can you just maintain your own Makefile in the github repository?

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

HI,

We are using the DRS4 Board in the EUDAQ framework [1]. We wrote a a Producer based on the software of the evaluation board, which is using the DRS class/header/src files.

In order to make it work we needed to compile it with a shared object file. [2]

Would it be possbile to include a shared object in the 'official' release? 

Cheers

Felix

 

 

[1]https://telescopes.desy.de/EUDAQ

[2]https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared

 

 

  439   Mon Jul 6 19:25:27 2015 Stefan RittCreation of Object files

Anyhow it would be nice if you just post your Makefile here, which runs with the standard distribution, so people can use it if needed.

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

Hi Stefan,

That's fine for me. I thought it might be interesting for others as well..

Cheers

Felix

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Hi Felix,

the distribution does not contain any binaries, since there are too many Linux distributions around, so everybody compiles from the sources under Linux. Do you want me to just add libDRS.so to the official Makefile? Actually you are the first one asking for this. Would it be beneficial to have this in the distribution, or can you just maintain your own Makefile in the github repository?

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

HI,

We are using the DRS4 Board in the EUDAQ framework [1]. We wrote a a Producer based on the software of the evaluation board, which is using the DRS class/header/src files.

In order to make it work we needed to compile it with a shared object file. [2]

Would it be possbile to include a shared object in the 'official' release? 

Cheers

Felix

 

 

[1]https://telescopes.desy.de/EUDAQ

[2]https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared

 

 

 

  440   Tue Jul 7 09:29:21 2015 Felix BachmairCreation of Object files

Yes of course no problem.

You can download via github https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared and I also put it in the attachment.

It's tested with Ubuntu, Fedora and RHEL.

For mac OSX one needs to create a dylib out of the so file.

Cheers

Felix

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Anyhow it would be nice if you just post your Makefile here, which runs with the standard distribution, so people can use it if needed.

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

Hi Stefan,

That's fine for me. I thought it might be interesting for others as well..

Cheers

Felix

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Hi Felix,

the distribution does not contain any binaries, since there are too many Linux distributions around, so everybody compiles from the sources under Linux. Do you want me to just add libDRS.so to the official Makefile? Actually you are the first one asking for this. Would it be beneficial to have this in the distribution, or can you just maintain your own Makefile in the github repository?

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

HI,

We are using the DRS4 Board in the EUDAQ framework [1]. We wrote a a Producer based on the software of the evaluation board, which is using the DRS class/header/src files.

In order to make it work we needed to compile it with a shared object file. [2]

Would it be possbile to include a shared object in the 'official' release? 

Cheers

Felix

 

 

[1]https://telescopes.desy.de/EUDAQ

[2]https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared

 

 

 

 

  11   Thu Jul 9 09:11:03 2009 Stefan RittCurrent problems with drs_exam.cpp

The current version of the DRS readout example program drs_exam.cpp has two problems:

  1. The sampling frequency cannot be changed, it will always stay in the region around 5 GSPS
  2. The waveform obtained by GetWave is rotated such that the first DRS cell corresponds to the first array bin

Both problems have been fixed and the fix will be contained in an upcoming software release.

ELOG V3.1.4-80633ba