Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 199 of 801  Not logged in ELOG logo
New entries since:Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 1970
ID Date Icon Authordown Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  1385   Fri Aug 5 12:06:47 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportLinux2.6.0-CVSRe: Top Groups, Show Top Groups, password file and Protect Selection page have nasty interaction

Chris Green wrote:
Index: elogd.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /usr/local/cvsroot/elog/src/elogd.c,v
retrieving revision 1.739
diff -r1.739 elogd.c
21368,21369c21368
< sprintf(str, "?fail=1", user);
< redirect(lbs, str);
---
> redirect(lbs, "?fail=1");

Thanks, applied.

Chris Green wrote:
Regardless (ie if I use the original CVS code or the patched version), a hard-to trace problem occurs with my configuration whereby users are denied access after password entry at the logbook selection page (even when details are verifiably correct), and users are dropped through to the next (non-protected) Top Group page. This problem goes away if "Protect Selection Page" is turned off.

I hope I have fixed this problem, at least it works ok here when I tried with your config file.

One note I would like to make however: "Top groups" were invented for having completely separate logbook groups. Before the invention of top groups, one had to run several instances of elogd for different departments for example, where one department should not see the other department's logbooks. But having many departments means having to maintain many elogd daemons. This led to the invention of top groups, so one daemon can serve several independent groups, each having their own [global] section, with probably their own administrator.

In your case however, it would be more applicable not to use top groups, but use nested groups. Like
Group MiniBooNE = Analysis, Miscellaneous
Group Analysis = Charged Current Pi Plus, Neutral Current Coherent Pions
Group Miscellaneous = demo

I presume this is more what you want, and you can avoid some problems which arise from top groups.

Chris Green wrote:
A kind of "shadow" of this problem occurs if you create a new logbook from the Change Config File page, whereby after creating the new logbook one is dropped through to the next Top Group's selection page after saving the configuration (and the url has ?fail=1 added to it, althoguh line 21368 above is hardly the only place where this could have occurred).

I have not tested this one, but it could well be that the modification I made also fixes this.
  1386   Fri Aug 5 12:37:42 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.0b3Re: Email subject garbaged when set?

Heiko Scheit wrote:
Well not quite. According to the RFC the encoded word must not be longer than 75 characters! Indeed shorter subjects are displayed by pine, but not longer ones as they do not follow RFC2047.
Below is the quote from the RFC.

You are right Big grin, thanks for this information, I overlooked it.

Now I split a long subject into separate chunks of encoded words, and my pine is happy. Update in CVS.
  1391   Fri Aug 5 16:48:56 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.0b4Re: How does RSS interact with password protection?

Chris Green wrote:
Can I have an RSS feed to a protected log book? Does it also require authentication, or does it bypass it? If it bypasses it, how do I disable RSS?

Thanks,
Chris.

I added this topic to the FAQs at http://midas.psi.ch/elog/faq.html#15
  1392   Fri Aug 5 16:51:02 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportLinux2.6.0-CVSRe: Top Groups, Show Top Groups, password file and Protect Selection page have nasty interaction

Chris Green wrote:
The quick attempt I just made to use this doesn't do what I want, which is to require password protection for the Analysis logbook selection page.

This indeed is not possible and you have to use top groups for that.
  1404   Mon Sep 5 20:05:43 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportWindowsV2.5.9-4Re: password forgot kills elogd

Martin Lindjärv wrote:

But i found a bug or something like that. I installed elog on win2003 and winxp with default settings. And everywhere i had same problem - when forgot password is used it kills elogd. Error what is reported in EventLog is "Faulting application elogd.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module elogd.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0002f1ee." and thats all. For testing tried newest beta too but it seems to have same problem.
i can insert my email address and when i click submit it wait's for some time and then gives 404.
But tried under linux (gentoo) and everything works like charm.

I tried with the current version under XP and found no problem. Can you try 2.6.0-beta4?
  1405   Mon Sep 5 20:16:50 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chInfoLinux2.5.7Re: charset specified in elog.conf has no effect [updated]

cunnilinux wrote:
well, here's the problem that i had: my charset (koi8-u) was specified in elog.conf for every logbook, but this had no effect, and all elog pages continued tu appeared as iso-8859-1 (which is the default) when i specified charset in the global section, the problem's gone away.

2do: i think it's worth testing how does it work whet charset specified for a separate logbook overrides globally specidied charset

elog version that is in use: 2.5.7 from debian sarge 3.1 r0a powerpc

The documentation clearly states that the "charset" option is under the [global] section. I put it there since it does not make much sense to have separate charsets for separate logbooks. Or do you have one Russian, one Japanese and one Swedish logbook on the same server? Maybe for an international language school Wink

I can easily put it into the individual logbook's config, but only if more than one person requests this.
  1406   Mon Sep 5 20:35:43 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows2.6beta3Re: Email notification does not work

Dinesh Bapat wrote:
I have SMTP server that requires authentication

Whenever a new user 'self registers' to E-log, I get an automated email saying so. Hence, the SMTP setting are correct and working.

However, for any entry made to log, no email notification is generated. error '5.5.4 Invalid Address'

suppress notification checkbox is 'unchecked'

Kindly help.

Turn on logging with

Logfile = elog.log

then you will see all communication betwen elogd and the SMTP server in the logfile. You probably will see the source of the error there.

- Stefan
  1407   Mon Sep 5 20:39:15 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.0-betaRe: Long lines in printout
> long lines in an entry are not printed correctly (the lines are cut off), if the text is encoded as plain
> text. This works correctly, if the text is encoded as ELCode. I tried this with Firefox and Internet Explorer.
> Does anybody know a solution for this? 

Can you post an example here? If I try a
veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery
 long line, it's shown correctly. You just have to scroll right in your browser.
ELOG V3.1.5-3fb85fa6