Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 202 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Emailup Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  1884   Wed Jul 19 12:20:34 2006 Question Dimitrios Tsirigkasdimitrios.tsirigkas@cern.chQuestionLinux Use Email From = <string>
Hi all,

My users have complained about the multiple "I'm away from xxx until xxx" automated replies that they get when they post an entry and notifications are sent with their email in the "From" field. I would therefore like to always use the address specified in the Use Email From line of the configuration file and never the user's address. Reading from the documentation:

The option Use Email From = <string> is used for the "From:" field in the email. Since more and more email servers do not accept invalid "From:" addresses in order to reduce spam mail, it might be important that a "real" email address is used in the "From:" field. By default, the email address of the currently logged in user is used for the "From:" field. If no user is logged in, or the current user has not specified a email address in the password database, the setting of the option Use Email From is used for the "From:" field.

Is there a way to override that default and always use the setting of the option Use Email From?

Thanks,
Dimitris
  1886   Wed Jul 19 12:47:58 2006 Reply Dimitrios Tsirigkasdimitrios.tsirigkas@cern.chQuestionLinux Re: Use Email From = <string>

Stefan Ritt wrote:
Sure. You override the default by setting the Use Email From. In the forum I set it now to Use Email From = noreply@psi.ch which is a nonexisting address. While now this is ok, our former email server did not accept this because the user noreply does not exist at our institute. So you have to figure out if this works at CERN.

Thanks, Stefan! I misunderstood the documentation, thinking that the Use Email From option value was only used if the user submitting the entry had not registered an e-mail address when creating his/her elog account. This works fine. Smile
Cheers,
Dimitris
  1957   Mon Sep 25 15:30:48 2006 Question Dimitrios Tsirigkasdimitrios.tsirigkas@cern.chQuestionLinux2.6.1Invalid addresses block email notifications
Hi Stefan,

We have had problems with some users who subscribe for elog notifications using fake email addresses. When this happens, e-mail notifications stop working for all users and I have to find out which is the problematic email address and fix it myself. Is this a known problem? Is there a fix in a version newer than 2.6.1?

Thanks,
Dimitris
  1991   Mon Oct 16 16:20:06 2006 Question Dimitrios Tsirigkasdimitrios.tsirigkas@cern.chQuestion  Problem with large entry size
Hi Stefan,

I have posted an entry of approximately a thousand lines (ten thousand words). Posting it took some time, which is logical to a certain degree. However, whenever a user asks for "Full" view of the logbook, the page takes around two minutes to load and the CPU usage on the elog server goes to beyond 90% for all this time. Is this to be expected for an entry of that size or is there something going wrong here?

Thanks,
Dimitris
  1994   Mon Oct 16 17:32:58 2006 Reply Dimitrios Tsirigkasdimitrios.tsirigkas@cern.chQuestion  Re: Problem with large entry size

Stefan Ritt wrote:
I improved the performance by some factor in SVN revision 1733. Can you give it a try and report your speed improvement? Depending on the result, I can probably do even a bit better with some more effort.

- Stefan

Dear Stefan,

Thank you for your quick reply. I will install the new version and I will let you know as soon soon as possible.

Best,
Dimitris
  2003   Tue Oct 17 14:39:29 2006 Reply Dimitrios Tsirigkasdimitrios.tsirigkas@cern.chQuestion  Re: Problem with large entry size

Stefan Ritt wrote:

The problem lies in the ELCode parsing. When you post an entry in ELCode form, the elogd server has to parse every word to see if it's any of the ELcode tags. This is right now implemented in a kind of poor way, such that it takes very long for long entries. I will work to optimize that. In the meantime, it will help if you post such long entries just in "plain" form.

- Stefan

Hi again,

I was wondering what is the cleanest way of changing old entries already submitted in ELCode into plain text. If I do not include ELCode in the allowed encodings does this apply to already submitted entries as well or will they still be treated as ELCode?

Thanks,
Dimitris
  2005   Tue Oct 17 14:47:53 2006 Reply Dimitrios Tsirigkasdimitrios.tsirigkas@cern.chQuestion  Re: Problem with large entry size
Thanks Stefan,

Stefan Ritt wrote:
Did you try the new version, would be interesting to see if it's any better...

I didn't find the time to try it yet but I will do that later today. I will keep you posted - more soon.

Cheers,
Dimitris
  2015   Mon Oct 23 12:53:08 2006 Reply Dimitrios Tsirigkasdimitrios.tsirigkas@cern.chQuestion  Re: Problem with large entry size
Hi Stefan,

A lot of performance-related trouble for us comes from the ability of users to click on "All" and display thousands of entries on the same page. Is there a way to disable that? Even if the ELCode parsing performance of Elog increases greatly, the combination of "Full" mode and "All" will still cause trouble, will it not?

Thanks,
Dimitris
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886