Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 211 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OS ELOG Versiondown Subject
  68712   Mon Dec 11 13:16:32 2017 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux3.1.2-bd7Re: hosts allow

Have you set

Resolve host names = 1

in the config file? If it still does not work, run "elogd -v" from the terminal and watch the output. You should see someting like:

Remote host "mpc1865.psi.ch" matches "ALL" in "Hosts deny". Access denied.
Remote host "mpc1865.psi.ch" matches ".lbl.gov" in "Hosts allow". Access granted.

Regards,
Stefan

Andreas Luedeke wrote:
Hi Susan,
the documentation states that you should start elogd with the -v option from the command line and look at the output. Did you try this?
You might post the output here to get further help.
Cheers
Andreas
Susan James wrote:

Hi All,

We're still having trouble with hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

We're trying to allow all of our domain  lbl.gov to the access list

for our logbooks.  But the combination below is not working.

==========================

[ below denies ALL ]

Hosts allow = .lbl.gov
Hosts deny = ALL

[ below denies ALL ]

Hosts deny = ALL

Hosts allow = .lbl.gov

========================
Can someone help?

Susan James wrote:

thanks for your quick reply.

the configuration is still not working.  See my entry below which denies everyone.

I've tried many different combinations of 'hosts allow and hosts deny'

we want to restrict all our logbooks to only domain lbl.gov

[ below denies ALL ]

Hosts allow = .lbl.gov
Hosts deny = ALL

[ below denies ALL ]

Hosts deny = ALL

Hosts allow = .lbl.gov

Can you help?

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

Hi Susan,

according to the documentation you need to add "Hosts deny = All" in addition to the "Hosts allow" command.
Here is the relevant excerpt from the documentation (https://midas.psi.ch/elog/config.html#access).
Cheers
Andreas
  • Hosts allow = <list>
  • Hosts deny = <list>

These two settings can be used to restrict the access to the logbook to certain computers. It is similar to the UNIX hosts.allow and hosts.deny files. The list can consist of individual host names or IP numbers, subnet masks like 123.213. (note the trailing '.') or .mit.edu, or the word All. The following rules are applied:

• Access will be granted when a host matches a pattern in "hosts allow".
  • Otherwise, access will be denied when a host matches a pattern in "hosts deny".
  • Otherwise, access will be granted.

These rules are applied before any password is checked. To debug problems, start elogd with the "-v" flag, in which case the rule checking is printed on the screen.

Susan James wrote:

I'm trying to wrap our elog instance to our company domain which is lbl.gov

I add this entry below (without quotes) to elogd.cfg and it's not working.  the world can see our logbooks

" Hosts Allow = *.lbl.gov ".

can someone help?

68598   Tue Apr 11 17:24:48 2017 Entry Francois CloutierFrancois@fcmail.caQuestionWindows3.1.2-7933898rename menu commands

Hi !

I do have an setup were I would like to rename the menu command but keeping their fonction. Namely, I would like to rename the "copy to" button to "Duplicate" since thats the option I would like to put in place ( Copy to = Same logbook only).

I tried to do so with css but it is not possible since the button doesn't have a specific id... Would you have another solution ? 

Thanks for your help !

68599   Tue Apr 11 18:05:15 2017 Reply David PilgramDavid.Pilgram@epost.org.ukQuestionWindows3.1.2-7933898Re: rename menu commands

Hi,

First up, the Copy command is supposed to be used to copy to another log book, as it says in the documentation, not a duplicate entry in the same logbook.  I've tried doing a copy into the same logbook, it appears to work (although I don't know about every circumstance, I just did a quick and dirty test).  Use at your own risk!  Don't use Preserve ID feature is one caution I would raise immediately.

As for renaming the command, I'd suggest defining a new language, "lenglish" or whatever, make all the files necessary as per any normal language; in the eloglang.lenglish file would be

New = New

Edit = Modify

---

Copy to = Duplicate

and so on.  I chose to call my eloglang "lenglish" as duplicate, modify etc as used in the example here derive from Latin, but other commands would still be English.

When specified in the config file (just like the languages that "come with the box") that should give you the alternative names for the commands.

David.

Francois Cloutier wrote:

Hi !

I do have an setup were I would like to rename the menu command but keeping their fonction. Namely, I would like to rename the "copy to" button to "Duplicate" since thats the option I would like to put in place ( Copy to = Same logbook only).

I tried to do so with css but it is not possible since the button doesn't have a specific id... Would you have another solution ? 

Thanks for your help !

68600   Tue Apr 11 22:44:40 2017 Question Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionWindows3.1.2-7933898Re: rename menu commands

Hm, maybe my question is silly, but why don't you just use the "Duplicate" command instead of renaming and misusing "Copy to"??

Here is the relevant excerpt from the documentation (https://midas.psi.ch/elog/config.html#general):

Menu commands = <list>
This option specifies the menu commands displayed on top of a single logbook page. For certain installations, it can be useful to disable some commands. Following commands are possible:

• New - Enter new logbook entry
  • Edit - Edit current logbook entry
  • Delete - Delete current logbook entry
  • Reply - Submit a reply to current entry
  • Duplicate - Duplicate the current entry with the possibility to change some values
  • [...]
  • Copy to - Copy entry to other logbook
  • [...]

The commands are always in English, independent of the language = ... setting, and are automatically translated into the specified language.
If this option is not present, following default is used:

Menu commands = List, New, Edit, Delete, Reply, Duplicate, Find, Config, Help
Francois Cloutier wrote:

Hi !

Thanks for your help !

68601   Wed Apr 12 13:52:34 2017 Idea Francois CloutierFrancois@fcmail.caCommentWindows3.1.2-7933898Re: rename menu commands

Somehow, I've missed to see that option :)

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

Hm, maybe my question is silly, but why don't you just use the "Duplicate" command instead of renaming and misusing "Copy to"??

Here is the relevant excerpt from the documentation (https://midas.psi.ch/elog/config.html#general):

Menu commands = <list>
This option specifies the menu commands displayed on top of a single logbook page. For certain installations, it can be useful to disable some commands. Following commands are possible:

• Duplicate - Duplicate the current entry with the possibility to change some values
  • [...]
  • [...]

The commands are always in English, independent of the language = ... setting, and are automatically translated into the specified language.

Francois Cloutier wrote:

Hi !

Thanks for your help !

68602   Wed Apr 12 14:00:58 2017 Reply David PilgramDavid.Pilgram@epost.org.ukCommentWindows3.1.2-7933898Re: rename menu commands

So did I [thankful there is no shame face icon].

Francois Cloutier wrote:

Somehow, I've missed to see that option :)

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

Menu commands = <list>

• [...]
  • [...]

Francois Cloutier wrote:

Hi !

Thanks for your help !

68482   Fri Dec 2 13:54:36 2016 Idea Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chInfoAll3.1.2-6ec506bDisplay of draft entries in elog

Dear all,

there seems to be still lots of confusion with the new "draft modus" introduced in elog 3.1.2. Here is how it works:

If you edit an old or new entry, your changes are written to the elog server every few seconds. The entry in the elog database is marked as "draft". The idea behind that is that if your browser crashes or you navigate away from the elog page without saving your entry, the "draft" entry is sill in the elog database and can be recovered later. This is typically useful on some shift logbooks, where people keep the entry open for many hours and add things every few minutes. If they have a crash, they would loose a few hours of information.

The draft modus now has a few drawbacks:

• If you have some draft entries in your elog database, you don't see them until you hit "New" the next time. Then the system offers you to continue the open draft entries.
  • Once you change an existing entry, you cannot go back to the version of that entry before you started to make modifications. The only option is to keep the current version or delete the whole entry. The old version of your entry in the database is overwritten every few seconds with the current contents of your edit text field.

To fix the first problem, I introduced a new flag "List drafts = 0|1". If this flag is 1, the draft entries are shown in the list view. The default value for this flag is 1, so normally you should see the draft entries in the database. You should refrain from editing these entries if you know that currently somebody else is working on them, otherwise you will overwrite each other's modifications. The modification is in the current git version of elog which is 3.1.2-6ec506b.

The scond drawback is harder to address. In order to go back to previous version, you would need a full version system (ala git), which is far beyond the scope of elog. I'm working on a partial fix by storing the contents on an entry inside the browser when you start editing an entry. You can then "cancel" your modifications by pasting back the original version from your browser. This works of course only if your browser does not crash or you do not navigate away from the elog page, in which case the original version will be lost.

If anybody has a strong opinion about these changes, please post them here.

Stefan

68483   Fri Dec 2 14:54:58 2016 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chInfoAll3.1.2-6ec506bRe: Display of draft entries in elog

In version 3.1.2-416db9f I implemented a "Restore" button, which should fix the second drawback. If you press it, you should be able to go back to where you started when editing an entry.

ELOG V3.1.5-fe60aaf