Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 218 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Authordown Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  1793   Wed Apr 5 10:07:59 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequest 2.6.1Re: Simple math within an elog form

Steve Jones wrote:
Subst TotalRisk = $shell(echo $Risk1 + $Risk2 + $Risk3 > /tmp/elog_out)

What comes out with my simple echo or gawk line is "+ + " so it looks like the attributes are not getting passed into the $shell code?

The reason is that the substitutions get evaluated from left to right, so first the shell is called with $Risk1, and because the shell by itself does a subsitution and $Risk1 is not defined on the unix system, the shell returns an empty string, leading to "+ +" as the result.

I changed that in the current SVN version, so we have first the attribute substitions, then then shell substitution. The "echo $Risk1..." will of course not work, since it gets substituted by elog as "echo 12 + 23 + 45" (or whatever the numbers are), and the "echo" will just return these numbers without adding them. To make the shell to add things, you would need to define the risks as environment variables for the shell, so I guess the "gawk" method will work better for you. I tried it and it worked fine for me.
  1801   Fri Apr 7 10:29:49 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.1-1671Re: elog client authentication and attachment comment

Yoshio Imai wrote:
Until revision 1642, it was possible to submit entries to a password-protected logbook using the elog client without supplying authentication information. With revision 1671 this is no longer possible. In principle this is good. However, many of our run control programs use the elog client (via rsh to the elog server computer) to submit automatic entries, which fails now. In order for this mechanism to work again, we would have to change the command-line call in the sources, including now the password in clear text. Since this can be considered a security issue, we would like to avoid it if at all possible. I guess my request would go in the direction of PAM support, but would it be possible to revert to the old behaviour as an option? (If you tell me where in the code to look, we could probably also comment out the respective lines ourselves so that you don't have extra work...)

There was a quite strong request to not allow unauthorized access via the elog utility. People were also able to submit entries with the "curl" program without supplying authorization. So I rather would not like to go back to the old version. But I would propose a different scheme: We could save the username/password in a file on the server, which is maybe readable only by the owner. Then one could call elog with
elog ... -u @filename

so that the user name and password gets retrieved from the file on the server. This way the password does not have to be passwd over the network. BTW, you also could use ssh instead of rsh to prevent password being sent over the network in plain text.

Quote:

The second remark is about attachment comments. When editing a logbook entry, the attachment upload buttons appear again, but without the comment. Shouldn't it be there, too?

I'll have a look and fix it.
  1807   Thu Apr 13 09:07:24 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionAll Re: Can a field value be calculated during display?

Sridhar Anandakrishnan wrote:
I have a logbook which is a Calendar/Appointment book with Attributes: "Appointment DateTime", Place, etc.

I would like another Attribute called "When" whose value is calculated from Today's Date - Appointment date (so for example I could display today's appointments in red...). This calculation has to take place each time the logbook is displayed...

Possible? Useful?

No.

ELOG is an electronic logbok and should not be used as a full calendar application. There are much better packages for that, like PHP groupware. Better use one of those packages.
  1811   Tue Apr 18 10:01:23 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionAll2.6.1-1684Re: Any way to move Replies from one logentry to another?

Steve Jones wrote:
Is there anyway to reattach a reply within a logbook from one logentry to another? I guess it would be "re-associate"?

No, this is not possible directly. You would have to make a new reply, and manually fill in the contents from the original reply. It is however possible by directly tampering the ELOG files, but that should be done only by experienced users.
  1815   Wed May 3 08:28:05 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.6.1Re: allow per-logfile attributes to be added/subtracted from the global settings

Mark Bergman wrote:
I think it would be a big enhancement to allow per-logbook attributes to be additions or subtractions from the global attributes, rather than replacing the global settings.

Sounds to me like a good idea. I will put it on the wishlist.
  1816   Wed May 3 08:31:52 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.1Re: Is it possible to require certain attributes for specific users (guests)?
> First of all, thanks for writing and maintaining eLog.
> 
> I've been using it for a few years, but I'm now introducing it in an environment that may have a lot of "Guest"
> accounts.
> 
> I'd like to have two "Required Attributes" when a guest enters a new entry; their name and e-mail address. These
> fields don't need to be required for registered accounts, since that information is available already.
> 
> Is there any way to have conditional statements act on the value of $short_name?

No, this is not implemented. The only way you have right now is to make two separate logbooks, one for guests and
one for registered users. But I know this is not an optimal solution. I will think about it.
  1819   Fri May 5 07:58:53 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows2.6.1-1668Re: Date automatically generated by another one

Alex H wrote:
Hi Stefan,
I am searching for a solution in order to have a date automatically generated by another one.

For example I want 1 month more :
I input the first date in "Date publication" : 01/01/2006 and the "Date validation" took automatically the 01/02/2006 value from themselve.

Can I do that with ELOG ?
Thanks for answer.

No, this is not implemented right now.
  1824   Tue May 9 08:07:00 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux Re: Spec file change

Stephen A. Wood wrote:
Could the "Copyright:" line in the elog.spec file be changed to "License:" for the next release? Without this change an RPM can't be built on FC4 (RPM 4.4.1). With the change, rpms can still be built in Enterprise linux 3 (RPM 4.2.3).

Wow, the RPM build depends on that name? Interesting. I changed it in the SVN version, so it will be contained in the next release.
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886