Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 219 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Authorup Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  68875   Fri Dec 14 17:22:31 2018 Reply Frank Baptistacaffeinejazz@gmail.comQuestionWindows3.1.2Re: Logbook architecture and availability

Thanks Stephan! I guess I was making it harder than it is.  I'm still a little fuzzy -- in this instance, am I correct in saying that each laptop would be considered a "master", and the remote (network) server considered the "slave"?  Also, I'm not sure quite sure -- which server should be assigned responsibility for performing periodic synchronization between the laptop and the central elog server?

Thanks again for all you do -- Happy Holidays!

Frank

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Sure that's easy. Install elog on each laptop separately, so they run without network. Then, set up a central elog server, and use "mirroring" as explained in the documentation at https://elog.psi.ch/elog/config.html#mirroring

So when ever the entwork comes back, you execute a manual mirror operation, and your new entries will be pushed to the central elog server.

Best,
Stefan

Frank Baptista wrote:

I have a setting which makes ELOG a perfect solution, but there's a situation that I'm struggling to get my head around. We have 3 separate laboratories, each one containing a number of temperature chambers, which run almost constantly over a number of shifts. Each temperature chamber has it's own logbook (laptop). So far, pretty simple.
My dilemma is, our network goes down for maintenance/updates (more often than I'd like), but our operation cannot afford to stop during network interruptions.
With that said, I thought about whether I could run a "local" logbook on each laptop/chamber, and somehow mirror the local logbook to the main ELOG server.
Perhaps I'm over-thinking this...do you have any recommendations?

68877   Fri Dec 14 20:52:46 2018 Reply Frank Baptistacaffeinejazz@gmail.comQuestionWindows3.1.2Re: Logbook architecture and availability

Thank you again -- very much appreciated! smiley

Stefan Ritt wrote:

I would call the laptops the "master" being responsible for pushing data to the central server which you can call "slave"

Stefan

Frank Baptista wrote:

Thanks Stephan! I guess I was making it harder than it is.  I'm still a little fuzzy -- in this instance, am I correct in saying that each laptop would be considered a "master", and the remote (network) server considered the "slave"?  Also, I'm not sure quite sure -- which server should be assigned responsibility for performing periodic synchronization between the laptop and the central elog server?

Frank

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Sure that's easy. Install elog on each laptop separately, so they run without network. Then, set up a central elog server, and use "mirroring" as explained in the documentation at https://elog.psi.ch/elog/config.html#mirroring

So when ever the entwork comes back, you execute a manual mirror operation, and your new entries will be pushed to the central elog server.

Best,
Stefan

Frank Baptista wrote:

I have a setting which makes ELOG a perfect solution, but there's a situation that I'm struggling to get my head around. We have 3 separate laboratories, each one containing a number of temperature chambers, which run almost constantly over a number of shifts. Each temperature chamber has it's own logbook (laptop). So far, pretty simple.
My dilemma is, our network goes down for maintenance/updates (more often than I'd like), but our operation cannot afford to stop during network interruptions.
With that said, I thought about whether I could run a "local" logbook on each laptop/chamber, and somehow mirror the local logbook to the main ELOG server.

68882   Fri Feb 1 19:20:35 2019 Reply Frank Baptistacaffeinejazz@gmail.comQuestionWindows3.1.2Re: Logbook architecture and availability

I've got things working - sort of.  Ran into one strange problem that has me scratching my head.  I have two different laptops, each running a local instance of their own logbook.  Both are functional, but for some strange reason, one looks great, and the other is missing its graphic format.  I've attached a screen capture of that logbook, and a copy of the config file.  Do you see something that I've done wrong?

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Baptista wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

I would call the laptops the "master" being responsible for pushing data to the central server which you can call "slave"

Stefan

Frank Baptista wrote:

Frank

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Best,
Stefan

Frank Baptista wrote:

Attachment 1: ELOG_Screen_Capture_-_Missing_formatting.PNG
ELOG_Screen_Capture_-_Missing_formatting.PNG
Attachment 2: elogd.cfg
[global]
port = 8080
Resource dir = C:\Program Files (x86)\ELOG\resources
Logbook dir = C:\Program Files (x86)\ELOG\logbooks
Language = lenglish

[CH79]
Theme = default
Subdir = CH79
Comment = ESS - CH79 / JETS-1
Menu commands = List, Reply, Help
List Menu commands = New, Find, Help
Attributes = Clock #, Type, Category, Production Status, Perform OPM?, ATMS Correct?
Options Type = Test{1}, Equipment Incident{2}
{1} Options Category = Production, Engineering, Update
{2} Options Category = OPM Issue, Test Station, ITA, Chamber, Chiller, Socket, Software change, Hardware change, Update, Other
{1} Show Attributes Edit = Clock #, Type, Category, Production Status, Perform OPM?, ATMS Correct?
{2} Show Attributes Edit = Clock #, Type, Category, Production Status
{1} Preset text = C:\Program Files (x86)\ELOG\JETS_Template.htm
Options Production Status = Running, Open, Down, Engineering
Options Perform OPM? = boolean
Options ATMS Correct? = boolean
Comment Perform OPM? = If issue(s) found, create separate logbook entry.
Comment ATMS Correct? = All entries correct? Checked ATMS constraint?
Cell Style Production Status Running = background-color:green
Cell Style Production Status Open = background-color:yellow
Cell Style Production Status Down = background-color:red
Cell Style Production Status Engineering = background-color:blue
Required Attributes = Clock #, Type, Category, Production Status
Preset on reply Type = $Type
Preset on reply Category = Update
Page Title = ELOG - CH79 / JETS-1
Reverse sort = 1
Save drafts = 0
Quick filter = Date, Type, Subtext

68883   Fri Feb 1 21:59:46 2019 Reply Frank Baptistacaffeinejazz@gmail.comQuestionWindows3.1.2Re: Logbook architecture and availability

Sorry -- dumb mistake.  I moved the "theme" files to the resource folder.  Works like a champ...life is good! smiley

Frank Baptista wrote:

I've got things working - sort of.  Ran into one strange problem that has me scratching my head.  I have two different laptops, each running a local instance of their own logbook.  Both are functional, but for some strange reason, one looks great, and the other is missing its graphic format.  I've attached a screen capture of that logbook, and a copy of the config file.  Do you see something that I've done wrong?

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Baptista wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Stefan

Frank Baptista wrote:

Frank

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Best,
Stefan

Frank Baptista wrote:

68903   Fri Mar 1 19:18:53 2019 Question Frank Baptistacaffeinejazz@gmail.comQuestionWindows3.1.4Mirror synchronization and file servers

We have a number of temperature chambers – each has its own laptop running a local ELOG server, with unique logbook for each.  Using the mirror feature, these individual logbooks periodically synchronize to a single remote desktop server, which has a copy of each of the logbooks.  All of that works great, as long as each of the ELOG servers are storing the logbook(s) to their respective local hard drive.

I wanted the remote server to store its copy of the logbooks on the network file server.  I changed the global options of the elogd.cfg file, adding the following:

Logbook dir = S:\SHARED\LOGBOOKS

That change worked fine on the remote desktop server – new logbook entries were now being stored on the network file server.

Unfortunately, I lost the ability to sync from the individual logbooks to the remote desktop server.  During synchronization, I now get the following error message: “Error sending local entry: Error transmitting message". 

Has anyone run into this? Does this make sense? Am I missing something? Is there a workaround? Is there a wrong time to drink beer? wink

Thanks,

Frank

68988   Sat Jun 15 23:44:35 2019 Reply Frank Baptistacaffeinejazz@gmail.comQuestionWindows3.3Re: enable batch file execution

I have not tried these, but since CKeditor works so well, you may want to consider taking a look at integrating jQuery Calx or jExcel...just for fun.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

I meant to use it instead of ELOG. Spreadsheets allow calculaiton of dates, etc. So you can achieve what you need. Again: WHAT YOU WANT IS NOT POSSIBLE WITH ELOG.

dev wrote:

Is it as good as Microsoft excel  sheet.

but how can achieve my aim of calculation  how how to integrate it with elog 

Sorry for disturbing yau again and again 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets

dev wrote:

Sir, how to use that spreadsheet 

can the calculation is possible by running a batch file . 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

This is not possible with ELOG. May I suggest that you use a spreadsheet for that.

dev wrote:

First of all thanx for your kind help. Kindly help me on the following problem.

I have a logbook which keeps the record of all fault booked by different subscriber.this logbook has three attribute downtime,uptime & total duration (date &time format) . I want to calculate the total duration automatically whenevr uptime value is given and if the uptime is not given it should calculate depending upon the system present time.pleas explain it with example.

thanking you 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

May I kindly ask you to Google how to start/stop a service from the command line.

dev wrote:

From the command mode i am not able to stop and start  (elogd stop). But i can start/stop from services  .Kindly help  me stopping/starting it from command 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Stop the old server first, but we told you this already on elog:67770. If you don't follow our suggestions we cannot help you.

dev wrote:

I tried it but still it gives error like Shell execution not enabled via -x flag 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Modify the server start command in the Windows Registry. Or start the elogd server directly in a command window with "elogd -x", after "cd" to the elog installation directory.

dev wrote:

How to enable the batch file execution in elogd

69064   Sun Nov 24 20:29:24 2019 Question Frank Baptistacaffeinejazz@gmail.comRequestMac OSX3.1.3-fd7f1e2Executing a shell command using elogd Windows service

Greetings!

We've been successfully running nearly a dozen separate logbooks on independent laptops -- all of them are running elogd as a Windows service. This works well, since I've also set up auto recovery options in the event that the service inadvertently stops.

Now, I have a need to place the value of an attribute of the latest log entry into a basic text file.  Of course, this works just fine if I have launched elogd -x as a normal executable, using
Execute new = echo $Status > Last_status.log in my CFG file.  However, I would like to be able to do this using the Windows service which is running in the background. 

Is there another way to write the value of an attribute into a separate file?  If not, do I have to have a special build of ELOG in order to be able to enable the Windows service to execute shell commands?  For the record, these logbooks are running on secure laptops that are isolated onto their own network, and the user is unable to edit the CFG file.

In case you're wondering about the reason for the separate text file -- I've written a separate program which illuminates one of 4 different color signal lamps (mounted on a test station), based on the latest "Status" of the test station. (Running, Idle, Broken, Other).

I appreciate any guidance here -- this is a "big deal" here, as one glance over the floor gives us an idea of what's running (or not).

Thanks!
Frank

Attachment 1: Signal_tower.jpg
Signal_tower.jpg
  69065   Sun Nov 24 21:10:28 2019 Reply Frank Baptistacaffeinejazz@gmail.comRequestWindows3.1.3-fd7f1e2Re: Executing a shell command using elogd Windows service

Sorry -- I somehow selected the wrong OS in my original message. Asleep at the wheel again.

Frank Baptista wrote:

Greetings!

We've been successfully running nearly a dozen separate logbooks on independent laptops -- all of them are running elogd as a Windows service. This works well, since I've also set up auto recovery options in the event that the service inadvertently stops.

Now, I have a need to place the value of an attribute of the latest log entry into a basic text file.  Of course, this works just fine if I have launched elogd -x as a normal executable, using
Execute new = echo $Status > Last_status.log in my CFG file.  However, I would like to be able to do this using the Windows service which is running in the background. 

Is there another way to write the value of an attribute into a separate file?  If not, do I have to have a special build of ELOG in order to be able to enable the Windows service to execute shell commands?  For the record, these logbooks are running on secure laptops that are isolated onto their own network, and the user is unable to edit the CFG file.

In case you're wondering about the reason for the separate text file -- I've written a separate program which illuminates one of 4 different color signal lamps (mounted on a test station), based on the latest "Status" of the test station. (Running, Idle, Broken, Other).

I appreciate any guidance here -- this is a "big deal" here, as one glance over the floor gives us an idea of what's running (or not).

Thanks!
Frank

ELOG V3.1.5-fe60aaf