Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 220 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OSup ELOG Version Subject
  1520   Fri Nov 18 21:48:33 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.0beta5Re: Passive elog mirrors

Yoshio Imai wrote:
Is it possible to install a "passive" elog mirror? We want to allow members of another institute to browse our logbook, but the connection is rather slow. The idea is now to set up an elog mirror at their site for faster access. Still, we should be the only ones who can add and edit the entries, so the update mechanism needs to be restricted in one direction. Is this possible at all? I didn't find any clues on that in the documentation ...

This is not implemented directly, but you can achieve it in several ways:

• In the remote logbook, prohibit any modifications. You can do that with the Menu commands = ... option, where you just remove New, Edit, Reply and Duplicate.
  • Do not allow public write access, but public read access. The remote logbook server can read but not write. This requires a guest access, see the manual.
  • Create a special user, let's call it "mirroruser". Use this user to log in from the remote elog server by using the command Mirror user = mirroruser. Now restrict the right of this user via
    Deny New = mirroruser
    Deny Edit = mirroruser
    Deny Reply = mirroruser
    Deny Duplicate = mirroruser

1527   Mon Nov 21 14:35:20 2005 Reply Yoshio ImaiQuestionLinux2.6.0beta5Re: Passive elog mirrors
Thanks, I will try it with one of these methods.
  1533   Tue Nov 22 20:22:04 2005 Question Elaine Cristina Franchini dos Anjoselaine@ccuec.unicamp.brQuestionLinux2.6.0-betaEmail format flags
I've been tried to format our email notification messages
like this forum, but I couldn't.

Every email notification is sent in plain text although I've tried
all options listed in documentation about Email Format flags. Crying

What is the Email Format flag that I need to use ?
Is there something else that I have to configure ? ?)

Regards,

Elaine
  1534   Thu Nov 24 08:27:01 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.0-betaRe: Email format flags

Elaine Cristina Franchini dos Anjos wrote:
I've been tried to format our email notification messages
like this forum, but I couldn't.

Every email notification is sent in plain text although I've tried
all options listed in documentation about Email Format flags. Crying

What is the Email Format flag that I need to use ?
Is there something else that I have to configure ? ?)

The email notification is under revision right now, that's why 2.6.0 is still in beta. It will change again before the final release. I want to make a multipart/alternative encoding, where plain text and HTML are sent in the same email, and the user can select on the email client which part to view.

In the 2.6.0-beta5, you can select the eamil format with

Email encoding = 4

which then produces the same notifications as the forum.
  1535   Thu Nov 24 20:08:00 2005 Warning Yoshio ImaiBug reportLinux2.6.0beta5"Logkook dir" in top group [global] section ineffective
Hi, it's me again!

I have found one possible bug. We have declared top groups for our logbooks; one for administration and one for the shift logbooks. In the [global]-section there is a "Logbook dir"-statement of the form
[global]
Top group Admin = <...>
Top group Shiftlogs = beamtime1,beamtime2,...

Logbook dir = /data/logbooks
Now, in the [global Shiftlogs] section there is another "Logbook dir"-statement to have all associated logbooks in one tree:
[global Shiftlogs]
Logbook dir = /data/logbooks/shift-logbooks

[beamtime1]
Subdir = beamtime1
The problem is, that the manually created subdirectories /data/logbooks/shift-logbooks/beamtimeN are ignored, and the elogd creates new "Subdir"-directories /data/logbooks/beamtimeN (as if the "Logbook dir" statement in the top group [global] section were ineffective). Is this a bug or configuration error from our side?

There are also one question/request (you see that we use the elog extensively now Wink):
When searching for a particular event in our shift log using the "Find" function, it would often be useful not to go to the single entry, but to the page where that entry resides. This way we can see the whole context of the event. When clicking onto an entry in the "Find" result page, this takes us of course to the single entry, but could you add a function to go to the page instead. Alternatively, is it possible to include a button "Go to page" in the single entry view (it need not even be exactly +/-N entries around, the usual page partition would do)?

Thanks in advance.

Yoshio
  1536   Fri Nov 25 14:05:08 2005 Reply Yoshio ImaiBug reportLinux2.6.0beta5Re: "Logkook dir" in top group [global] section ineffective
OK, I found the note about "Logbook dir" in Stephen Wood's entry (http://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/1101) Wink
  1537   Fri Dec 2 11:46:11 2005 Entry Rob de Bruinrdbruin@zernike.nlRequestLinux2.5.6.1Upgrading from ELOG V2.5.6-1 to ELOG V2.5.9 steps
Hello,

Were still running (stable) Elog version V2.5.6-1.

We whant to upgrade to the latest version, can i just install the latest version over my older version??
I wil backup etc. offcourse.

Are there things i'll have to be alert to?

Can someone give me a link to a document?

Best regards Rob de Bruin
  1538   Fri Dec 2 12:27:47 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.5.6.1Re: Upgrading from ELOG V2.5.6-1 to ELOG V2.5.9 steps

Rob de Bruin wrote:
We whant to upgrade to the latest version, can i just install the latest version over my older version??
I wil backup etc. offcourse.

Yes. The 2.6.0-beta1,2,3,4 have some problems, but the latest beta5 is pretty stable.

Rob de Bruin wrote:
Are there things i'll have to be alert to?

Usually only new options get added, and I keep the old ones, so there should not be any problem, although I do not record carefully what changes between any arbitray versions, so just read the changelogs

Rob de Bruin wrote:
Can someone give me a link to a document?

The changelog is located at http://midas.psi.ch/elog/download/ChangeLog

I have not put in the new stuff from 2.6.0, because it's still in beta.

- Stefan
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886