Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 225 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Emaildown Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  66204   Thu Feb 12 16:43:53 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.7.5-2130Re: Internal error, no valid header!

ermirza erekose wrote:

I got this error message when trying to upload 17K text file as attachment.  Any idea why ? It's a fresh installed elog and not much configuration done yet.

No, no idea. I usually put several MB attachments into elogs without problems. Can you try with the demo logbook https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Linux+Demo/. Maybe you have an old version of elog? 

66205   Thu Feb 12 16:54:27 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.7.5Re: Attachments

Steve Williamson wrote:

Also, on attachments, if I click on the attachment icon (paperclip) on the list page the URL encodes "/" as "%2f", e.g.

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/Change_Log/..%2FChange_Log%2F090205_123135%2FCHANGE_CONTROL_NOTICE_050209.doc and I get the following error:

"Invalid URL: Change_Log/..%2FChange_Log%2F090205_123135%2FCHANGE_CONTROL_NOTICE_050209.doc" .  If I then change all occurrences of "%2f" to "/" the link works.

You have an old version of elog, this bug has been fixed some time ago. Have a look for example at https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Linux+Demo/.

If you click on a peperclip there, the attachment is shown correctly. 

66206   Thu Feb 12 17:13:05 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.7.5Re: frequent crashes on SL4
Hi Devin,

first of all, your stack traces are only of limited use for me. This typically happens 
if you attach gdb to a running process, then you get something like

#0  0x080b2f8a in decode_post ()
#1  0x00000100 in ?? ()
#2  0x00000000 in ?? ()

(note the ??). If you run elogd directly from gdb, the stack trace contains much more information:

[meg@megon elog]# gdb elogd

(gdb) run
Server listening on port 8080 ...

Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
0x0000003cb48c78d3 in __select_nocancel () from /lib64/libc.so.6
(gdb) where
#0  0x0000003cb48c78d3 in __select_nocancel () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#1  0x000000000046ea51 in server_loop () at src/elogd.c:27688
#2  0x0000000000471de8 in main (argc=1, argv=0x7fffe2b9bf18) at src/elogd.c:29018
(gdb) 

including the line numbers, arguments etc. So please try to start elogd from inside gdb 
and then reproduce your crash.

Your first problem seems to be related to some contents of your elogd.cfg, since in 
one stack dump I saw a 

strlen()
getcfg()

Here, the getcfg() function is called to retrieve some configuration from elogd.cfg. 
Maybe you have a very long line, or the file is otherwise corrupt. Please check that
carfully and send me your elogd.cfg so that I can have a look myself. Usually it helps
to remove one line after the other and check when the problem disappears.

Your other problem which has the decode_post() in the stack dump seems to be related
to the case when you upload an entry (or attachment), and the TCP link breaks in 
the middle. Probably the error handling in such a case is not correct. I will try
to reproduce this, although I don't have a satellite network.

Best regards,

Stefan
  66208   Fri Feb 13 16:57:02 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.7.5Re: frequent crashes on SL4
There was a general problem in submitting entries. If the TCP connection between the browser and elog 
disconnects during the transmission and only part of the request gets transferred, it consistently 
crashed elog. The probability for this is large if you have a slow connection and long attachments. The problem 
has been fixed in SVN revision 2174, so please upgrade and try again.
  66212   Wed Feb 18 20:14:04 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chInfoWindows2.7.5Re: How to share with others

Nuruzzaman wrote:

Please tell me how to share my elog with people.

Connect your PC to the internet and tell everybody the URL. Make sure the Windows Firewall allows remote access.

66215   Fri Feb 20 07:58:52 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionAll2.7.3Re: scrollable text section only when viewing a log entry

Bill Pier wrote:

Bill Pier wrote:

IStefan Ritt wrote:

Bill Pier wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Bill Pier wrote:

Is there a way, option, feature to setup the text section only to be scrollable when viewing a log entry, such that the header (meta info) section stays fixed?

Unfortunately no.

Well, I tinkered a bit with a journal entry display page and found that without having to suggest the flavor-of-the-month web design mantra of "replace table layout with CSS only",  just a few CSS tweaks can enable exactly what I am desiring.

For your consideration, here are the tweaks I made to get a fixed header and footer section with a scrollable journal entry section in the middle:

1. moved the journal entry content and footer line (elog version info) out of the layout table structure, into their own div sections;
  2. in the style sheet, added attribute "position:fixed" to the "frame table" section;
  3. in the style sheet, added attribute sections for journal entry content and footer div sections:
    1. #content: overflow:auto;position:fixed;top:230px;bottom:30px;width:100%;
    2. #footer:  text-align:center;bottom:0;position:fixed;width:100%;

Now as I'm not a web designer by trade and not intimately familiar with CSS nuances, I used the time honored method of documentation lookup with trial and error.

In any case, it worked and displays exactly the way I wanted; please do consider this for a future elog release. 

Apparently you downloaded an ELOG page and modified it manually. Can you send me the modified page, it then would be easier for me to implement it (I can shorten "my" trial and error phase..)

Yes, you are correct, I did simply take a sample page from logs and tinker with the html and css file, with the changes enumerated previously.  I have attached the tweaked sample html elog log page and css file, along with a few of the standard elog png files to complete the page with some semblance of the normal display.

Thu Feb 19 18:18:20 2009  Did this suggestion ever get considered for implementation?

Yes it's on my personal to-do list, but don't know when I will find some time.

66217   Sat Feb 21 10:01:01 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportLinux2.7.5Re: problem reading attached PDF files!

Razvan Gornea wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody else seen this problem and maybe has a solution. I use Elog version 2.7.5 rev. 2172 that I compiled from the tar.gz package on a Ubuntu PC. It is very strange that everything works fine except I can not view / download PDF attachments specifically. I can view / download images and I can download all sorts of file formats: xls, doc, ppt, etc. Viewing in the same window / tab or in a different one does not work. Saving the attachment produces a file empty file with the correct name! This is so strange, for example following a link from an image or any other attachment type works but if that link is a PDF file I get an empty page! When uploading a PDF file there a thumbnails that are generated, I do view the thumbnail but not the PDF itself! I didn't even managed to start a download on PDF attachment.

Any help would be appreciated!

This sounds to me like you have a problem on your browser. I know that Acrobat Reader sometimes causes problems. The current version always crashes my broswer, so I cannot display PDFs inline, I rather have to same them, and the open them for display. Maybe you have a simlar problem. Since you see the PDF thumbnails, I believe that the PDF operations indise ELOG are ok. Can you view PDFs from other websites? Have you tried another browser? Maybe on another computer?

- Stefan 

66220   Mon Feb 23 09:53:09 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportLinux2.7.5Re: problem reading attached PDF files!

Razvan Gornea wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Razvan Gornea wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody else seen this problem and maybe has a solution. I use Elog version 2.7.5 rev. 2172 that I compiled from the tar.gz package on a Ubuntu PC. It is very strange that everything works fine except I can not view / download PDF attachments specifically. I can view / download images and I can download all sorts of file formats: xls, doc, ppt, etc. Viewing in the same window / tab or in a different one does not work. Saving the attachment produces a file empty file with the correct name! This is so strange, for example following a link from an image or any other attachment type works but if that link is a PDF file I get an empty page! When uploading a PDF file there a thumbnails that are generated, I do view the thumbnail but not the PDF itself! I didn't even managed to start a download on PDF attachment.

Any help would be appreciated!

This sounds to me like you have a problem on your browser. I know that Acrobat Reader sometimes causes problems. The current version always crashes my broswer, so I cannot display PDFs inline, I rather have to same them, and the open them for display. Maybe you have a simlar problem. Since you see the PDF thumbnails, I believe that the PDF operations indise ELOG are ok. Can you view PDFs from other websites? Have you tried another browser? Maybe on another computer?

- Stefan 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I just checked the access from two other computers and indeed it works. I tried to see what is the problem with my browser, I use Firefox 3.0.6 and tried to get a PDF from the web. So I do have the same problem with other sites for viewing a PDF, I mean when I click on a PDF link I get a white page and the browser does not invoke any plug-in or Acrobat Reader. But the major difference with Elog is that with other sites I can always right click on the link and do "Save as" and it starts the download and I get a valid file. With elog it does start the download but I get an empty file. Actually I checked inside and it is not really empty, it is a text file, here I attached an example (the content of the file when I tried to download a PDF from the Elog server):

gornea@hadriana ~
$ cat Ba_source_GG_Feb09.pdf
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html><head>
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">
<title>ELOG Login</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="default.css">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />
<link rel="icon" href="favicon.png" type="image/png" />
</head>
<body OnLoad="document.form1.uname.focus();">
<form name=form1 method="POST" action="./" enctype="multipart/form-data">

<input type=hidden name=redir value="090219_111057/Ba_source_GG_Feb09.pdf">
<table class="dlgframe" cellspacing=0 align=center><tr><td colspan=2 class="dlgtitle">Please login</td></tr>
<tr><td align=right class="dlgform">Username:</td>
<td align=left class="dlgform"><input type=text name=uname value=""></td></tr>
<tr><td align=right class="dlgform">Password:</td>
<td align=left class="dlgform"><input type=password name=upassword></td></tr>
<tr><td align=center colspan=2 class="dlgform"><input type=checkbox checked name=remember value=1>
Keep me logged in on this computer<br>
for the next 31 days or until I log out</td></tr>
<tr><td align=center colspan=2 class="dlgform">
<a href="?cmd=Forgot">Forgot password?</a></td></tr>
<tr><td align=center colspan=2 class="dlgform"><input type=submit value="Submit"></td></tr></table>
<center><a class="bottomlink" title="Goto ELOG home page" href="https://midas.psi.ch/elog/">ELOG V2.7.5-2172</a></center></form></body></html>

The file you downloaded is actually the login screen of elog! So probably your login token expired between the display of the web page showing the attachemnt link and the attachment download, or you turned cookies off. So when you try to download the attachment, your user credentials are not passed as cookies together with that request and elog barks at you requiring a new login.  

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886