Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 227 of 801  Not logged in ELOG logo
New entries since:Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 1970
ID Date Icon Authordown Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  1973   Tue Oct 10 16:09:12 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestAll2.6.2-1714Re: 'Inline' button for attachments

Ben Shepherd wrote:
Hi,

It would be good if when you uploaded an image as an attachment, there was a button next to it that pasted the code
[img]elog:1972/1[/img]
into the log entry. This way, it would be more easy to have inline images in a log entry.

Just hit that button:

and it does exactly what you want.
  1978   Wed Oct 11 08:18:14 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportOther2.6.2-1714Re: SVN1723 (was SVN1714) will not run in 'daemon" mode on Solaris8

Steve Jones wrote:
There are also strange system calls that differ, and I thought it might be due to the setuid(60001) -nobody- but the the non-daemn mode also sets to nobody and works fine.

The elogd program opens the port (which might be below 1024 and thus needs privileges), then either become daemon or not, then changes to the user and group specified in elogd.cfg. So this behaviour should be the same on both cases.

Steve Jones wrote:
I just compiled SVN1723 and tried the generic elogd.cfg -- of course *that works!*. Something in my complex config that causes elog to barf when it is attempting to fork the daemon process.

That's a good starting point. Take your config file, strip one option after the other, and see which is the offending one. This helps us tracking down the problem.

Steve Jones wrote:
I have no idea what "/var/run/syslog_door" is.

I have not either. But one thing which is different in the daemon mode that all output is redirected to the syslog facility via the function call redirect_to_syslog();. This routine was not written by myself so I don't know 100% what it's doing, just under Linux it works fine. Try to outcomment this function and try again.
  1980   Wed Oct 11 11:47:29 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportWindows2.6.2-1722Re: Elog v2.6.2-1722 appears to have broken "Suppress default [0|1|2|3]" option on Windows XP box

Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
2.) However, email notifications will be sent under all circumstances regardless of which parameter selected.

Thanks for reporting that problem. I just implemented Suppress email on edit and this could have had some side effect. I tried however to reproduce your problem and was not able to. Trying the "minimal" configuration file, the email notifications were suppressed if the check box was checked, or if Suppress default = 3. Can you check if it works with a minimal config file, and if yes, what option in your "full" config file causes this effect?
  1982   Wed Oct 11 16:08:04 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.2-1714Re: Turn off smileys?

Yoshio Imai wrote:
Other suggestion: What about going the other way round and making this
\?)
the smiley and this
?)
the usual question in brackets? If there was a special sequence to announce the unusual case (i.e. the smiley), I think less people would complain about having unwanted conversions ...

I thought also about that, but people who are use to bulletin boards or instant messaging have the common knowledge that a ;) gives a smiley, not a \;). While it would work with the smiley button, which could insert anything, the "other" half of the people who are used to the standard smileys would complain. So I hope that ?-) is acceptable by both sides.
  1985   Thu Oct 12 16:34:07 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows2.6.2-1722Re: Error Sending Email

Ibrahim Genc wrote:
I get error message after submitting a message

Your verbose output seems to be only partial. I have modified the verbose output recently, so please update to a more recent version of elog. With 2.6.2-3 I get for example
Email from stefan.ritt@psi.ch to stefan.ritt@psi.ch, SMTP host xxx.psi.ch:
220 xxx.psi.ch xxxvs01 Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:25:17 +0200
HELO xxx.psi.ch
250 xxx.psi.ch Hello [129.129.xxx.xxx]
MAIL FROM: stefan.ritt@psi.ch
250 2.1.0 stefan.ritt@psi.ch....Sender OK
RCPT TO: <stefan.ritt@psi.ch>
250 2.1.5 stefan.ritt@psi.ch
RCPT TO: <stefan.ritt@psi.ch>
250 2.1.5 stefan.ritt@psi.ch
DATA
354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:25:17 +0200
To: "Stefan Ritt" <stefan.ritt@psi.ch>
User-Agent: Elog Version 2.6.2
Subject: Updated ELOG entry
X-Elog-URL: http://localhost:8080/demo/1
X-Elog-submit-type: web|elog
Content-Type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

... here comes the complete email body ....

250 2.6.0 <xxx.psi.ch> Queued mail for delivery
QUIT
221 2.0.0 xxx.psi.ch Service closing transmission channel
==== Return ================================
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: ELOG HTTP 2.6.2-1724
Connection: Keep-Alive
Keep-Alive: timeout=60, max=10
Content-Length: 20

This is of course without SMTP username. Our mail server does not support SMTP username, so I programmed this kind of "blindly".

Ibrahim Genc wrote:
Another question is; Can I change the port number of the smtp server? Some servers use another port than 25.

All server I met so far were running on port 25, so I hardcoded this in elogd.c. You can change it in the source code at line 2119:
bind_addr.sin_port = htons((short) 25);

If more people ask for this, I can make it a parameter.
  1987   Fri Oct 13 16:59:13 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportWindows2.6.2-1722Re: Elog v2.6.2-1722 appears to have broken "Suppress default [0|1|2|3]" option on Windows XP box

Gregory M. Caughey wrote:
Hope this helps a little...

Yepp it helped. I could reproduce your problem and fix it. Can you try elog262-4.exe (Revision 1729)?
  1990   Mon Oct 16 08:57:07 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows2.6.2-1722Re: Error Sending Email

Ibrahim Genc wrote:
There is a free e-mail service at mail.softhome.net. It provides smtp and pop3 services. You can use this for testing if you want.

I tried but I was unable to obtain a free account. Furthermore, the problem is probably related to your SMTP server's authentication method. There are many methods and ELOG only supports a subset. So I would have to try with your specific SMTP server. So the only recommendation I can give you is to find an SMTP server without authentication. That one will certainly work with elog.
  1992   Mon Oct 16 16:53:43 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestion  Re: Problem with large entry size

Dimitrios Tsirigkas wrote:
I have posted an entry of approximately a thousand lines (ten thousand words). Posting it took some time, which is logical to a certain degree. However, whenever a user asks for "Full" view of the logbook, the page takes around two minutes to load and the CPU usage on the elog server goes to beyond 90% for all this time. Is this to be expected for an entry of that size or is there something going wrong here?

The problem lies in the ELCode parsing. When you post an entry in ELCode form, the elogd server has to parse every word to see if it's any of the ELcode tags. This is right now implemented in a kind of poor way, such that it takes very long for long entries. I will work to optimize that. In the meantime, it will help if you post such long entries just in "plain" form.

- Stefan
ELOG V3.1.5-3fb85fa6