Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 227 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Categoryup OS ELOG Version Subject
  2088   Wed Nov 22 02:55:48 2006 Reply Rob Mahurinrob@utk.eduCommentLinux2.5.7-1Re: Securing Elog with SSL and Apache
Hi,

I am an apache ignoramus who has been trying to follow these instructions on a Debian 3.1 box.  I got hung up for
the following reason.  I had to explicitly enable some apache features, which was a simple matter of making the
following symlinks in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled: 

proxy.conf -> ../mods-available/proxy.conf
	proxy.load -> ../mods-available/proxy.load
	rewrite.load -> ../mods-available/rewrite.load
	headers.load -> ../mods-available/headers.load
	ssl.conf -> ../mods-available/ssl.conf
	ssl.load -> ../mods-available/ssl.load

Easy enough.  The default proxy.conf has sensible-looking warnings about not running your server as an open proxy.
 However, I wasn't able to tweak it to encrypted port forwarding from :443 to :8079.

What I've done that works is to add a local proxy section to the /etc/apache2/conf.d/elogredirect.conf by Damon
Nettles:

<VirtualHost *:443>
		### ... everything else

<Proxy *>
			Allow from all
		</Proxy>
	</VirtualHost>

I think, since this is in a subsection, that it only affects that virtual host.  But it'd be nice if someone who
actually understands this language would reassure me that I'm not setting myself up for some security hole.  At
any rate it took me long enough to figure this out that I thought I'd post a note in public, and this seems like
the forum to do so.

Thanks.

Rob
  2143   Tue Feb 20 18:41:31 2007 Entry Martin Killenbergmartin.killenberg@web.deCommentLinux2.6.4Hardcoded Path in Makefile
I tried to compile ELOG on Scientific Linux Cern 4.4 and found that make quits because uname is not located in /usr/bin (like it is hardcoded in the makefile) but in /bin.
Later I found that this is only the case in the svn version, in the "latest.tar.gz" from 2007/02/20 the path is /bin.
Why do you have the absolute path in the Makefile? uname should be in the default path on any system. (The same applies to "rm")

I also was confused that you only provide one rpm Package (except for debian) without mentioning for which distribution. You try to avoid dependencies, but the elogd is linked against the basic libraries libc and ld-linux, which might vary.
  2144   Tue Feb 20 21:10:28 2007 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chCommentLinux2.6.4Re: Hardcoded Path in Makefile

Martin Killenberg wrote:
I tried to compile ELOG on Scientific Linux Cern 4.4 and found that make quits because uname is not located in /usr/bin (like it is hardcoded in the makefile) but in /bin.
Later I found that this is only the case in the svn version, in the "latest.tar.gz" from 2007/02/20 the path is /bin.
Why do you have the absolute path in the Makefile? uname should be in the default path on any system. (The same applies to "rm")

I also was confused that you only provide one rpm Package (except for debian) without mentioning for which distribution. You try to avoid dependencies, but the elogd is linked against the basic libraries libc and ld-linux, which might vary.

Ups. The hard-coded /usr/uname somehow sneaked in from some temporary test. I removed it in the current SVN.

Indeed the RPM package I provide is built under Scientific Linux. The Debian port is done by someone else. Unfortunately I don't have ten boxes with all possible distributions laying around, so my possibilities are quite limited and I depend on third party help. If you want to contribute additional RPMs you are welcome.
  65739   Tue Feb 12 23:57:52 2008 Reply Jochen Krempelkrempel@ill.frCommentAll2.7.2-2Re: Absolut links for images in FCK Editor

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Jochen Krempel wrote:

We use ELOG inside a local network, but we want to allow access also from outside the firewall.

The suggested solution from Elog Admin Guide worked fine until version ELOG V2.6.5-1844 (essentially without FCK Editor):

ssh -L 1234:your.server.name:8080 your.firewall.name
firefox
http://localhost:1234/

Howerver, since the update to ELOG V2.7.1-2002 the FCK Editor uses absolute links to insert images.

An image uploaded from the local network will have an address like:

http://your.server.name:8080/logbookname/080207_101110/Picture.jpg

while the same image uploaded through the firewall tunnel will have a link like:

http://localhost:1234/logbookname/080207_101110/Picture.jpg

Obviously images uploaded from outside are not visible from inside and vice versa.

Is it possible to convince FCK Editor to use relative links?

PS
ELOG is great!!

I fixed this in SVN revision #2038.

Thank you for the quick support!

66096   Wed Dec 3 22:57:13 2008 Cool mike ciancimike2.cianci@comcast.netCommentWindows Re: Multi attribute email notification

Your suggestion worked GREAT (like always)

Stefan Ritt wrote:

mike cianci wrote:

What I would like to do is:

If attribute "A" and attribute  "B" - send email to person #1

If attribute "A" and attribute  "C" - send email to person #2

(I apologize if this in the documentation. I have looked at the "Email" section and have either missed it or don't understand it. Thank you for the help)

This is not implemented, you only can test on a single attribute. There might be a possibility with conditional attributes, but I have never tried this out.

66142   Sun Jan 11 00:02:34 2009 Reply John Rouillardrouilj+elog@cs.umb.eduCommentWindows2.7.5Re: Multi attribute email notification

mike cianci wrote:

Could you post an example of what you used?

66201   Mon Feb 9 07:58:46 2009 Reply mike ciancimike2.cianci@comcast.netCommentWindows2.7.5Re: Multi attribute email notification

John Rouillard wrote:

mike cianci wrote:

Sorry, it took me so long to respond. I didn't notice your request.

Attributes = Instrument, Notify Lead Tech

Options Instrument = Olympus, Beckman

Options Notify Lead Tech = Yes{a}, No {b}

{a}Email Instrument Olympus = John@lab.net         (i.e. if it is "Yes" and  "Olympus" - John gets an email)

{a}Email Instrument Beckman = Mary@lab.net         (i.e. if it is "Yes" and  "Beckman" - Mary gets an email)

66202   Mon Feb 9 07:58:58 2009 Reply mike ciancimike2.cianci@comcast.netCommentWindows2.7.5Re: Multi attribute email notification

John Rouillard wrote:

mike cianci wrote:

Sorry, it took me so long to respond. I didn't notice your request.

Attributes = Instrument, Notify Lead Tech

Options Instrument = Olympus, Beckman

Options Notify Lead Tech = Yes{a}, No {b}

{a}Email Instrument Olympus = John@lab.net         (i.e. if it is "Yes" and  "Olympus" - John gets an email)

{a}Email Instrument Beckman = Mary@lab.net         (i.e. if it is "Yes" and  "Beckman" - Mary gets an email)

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886