Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 746 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Authordown Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  68135   Wed Sep 30 09:28:39 2015 Idea Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionWindows2.7.3Re: Syntax for conditional list display
Hi Terry,
if you really want to do it, you can find a way to make it work. But it is not straight forward and not what ELOG is made for. Here some ideas how it could work:
  • ELOG allows you to have different commands for different users. You could allow "New" and "Edit" for normal users, but "Reply" only for administrators.
  • You can use "Subst on reply <attribute> = <string>" to set a specifc fields only on reply. 
    • You would hide "status" & "assignee" for new entries or edit (Show Attributes Edit = <list>), and show a "set status" field instead.
    • The line "Subst on reply status = $set status" would take care, that only an administrator can set "status" with a reply to the original entry (+ a "set assignee" field, etc.). While normal users could set "set status", it would not change the "status" field. You could provide a comment or tooltip to explain that.
    • The list view or single entry view should not show the "set status", but only the "status" attribute (List display = <list>, Show Attributes = <list>).
  • Use "Propagate attribute = status, assignee" to take care, that the original entry gets their fields set accordingly.

This is how you could do what you want. But bugzilla can do a lot more if you are looking for a bug tracking software.

Cheers, Andreas

Terry L wrote:

Hi Eddy,

Thank you for your response.  I had a feeling that was the case, but I had high hopes! :)  The reason I would like this feature is because I am trying to use ELOG as a software anomaly tracking log, where any user can create an ELOG and fill out "category", "computer" etc, but only administrators can fill out the "status" & "assignee".  If I am lucky, this will be an added feature in a future revision.

Thanks again,

-Terry

Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey Terry,

I don't think this is possible, since in general you cannot define config settings in a way that it would only affect specific users. For example, you also cannot have different themes for different users (as stated here: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68112 )

Cheers

eddy

Terry L wrote:

Good Morning,

I would like to limit the ability to edit certain attributes in an ELOG logbook, depending on the user who is logged in.  I.e. if "guest" or a standard "login user" is logged in, I only want to allow the user to edit "attribute1" & "attribute2" of say, 5 attributes.  However, if an Admin user or specific user, say "Terry" or "Bob" is logged in, I want to allow ALL 5 attributes to be editable.  To expand on this, I may want to even limit the visibility of the attributes as well.

I've read though "Condition Attributes" section of the help page, but it is not clear to me how/if I can do this?  Is that section even relevant to what I want to accomplish?

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thank you for your time & help!

Sincerely,

Terry

68137   Thu Oct 1 12:01:11 2015 Warning Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionWindows2.7.3Re: Syntax for conditional list display

Oups: there is a flaw in this approach! You can only get different commands for Anonymous and Login Users. You cannot select different command for Admin users: they will just have the "Config" command automatically.

You could allow anonymous users to make new entries and restrict login to administrators. But that is certainly not what you want, so forget my suggestion altogether.

Andreas Luedeke wrote:
Hi Terry,
if you really want to do it, you can find a way to make it work. But it is not straight forward and not what ELOG is made for. Here some ideas how it could work:
  • ELOG allows you to have different commands for different users. You could allow "New" and "Edit" for normal users, but "Reply" only for administrators.
  • You can use "Subst on reply <attribute> = <string>" to set a specifc fields only on reply. 
    • You would hide "status" & "assignee" for new entries or edit (Show Attributes Edit = <list>), and show a "set status" field instead.
    • The line "Subst on reply status = $set status" would take care, that only an administrator can set "status" with a reply to the original entry (+ a "set assignee" field, etc.). While normal users could set "set status", it would not change the "status" field. You could provide a comment or tooltip to explain that.
    • The list view or single entry view should not show the "set status", but only the "status" attribute (List display = <list>, Show Attributes = <list>).
  • Use "Propagate attribute = status, assignee" to take care, that the original entry gets their fields set accordingly.

This is how you could do what you want. But bugzilla can do a lot more if you are looking for a bug tracking software.

Cheers, Andreas

Terry L wrote:

Hi Eddy,

Thank you for your response.  I had a feeling that was the case, but I had high hopes! :)  The reason I would like this feature is because I am trying to use ELOG as a software anomaly tracking log, where any user can create an ELOG and fill out "category", "computer" etc, but only administrators can fill out the "status" & "assignee".  If I am lucky, this will be an added feature in a future revision.

Thanks again,

-Terry

Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey Terry,

I don't think this is possible, since in general you cannot define config settings in a way that it would only affect specific users. For example, you also cannot have different themes for different users (as stated here: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68112 )

Cheers

eddy

Terry L wrote:

Good Morning,

I would like to limit the ability to edit certain attributes in an ELOG logbook, depending on the user who is logged in.  I.e. if "guest" or a standard "login user" is logged in, I only want to allow the user to edit "attribute1" & "attribute2" of say, 5 attributes.  However, if an Admin user or specific user, say "Terry" or "Bob" is logged in, I want to allow ALL 5 attributes to be editable.  To expand on this, I may want to even limit the visibility of the attributes as well.

I've read though "Condition Attributes" section of the help page, but it is not clear to me how/if I can do this?  Is that section even relevant to what I want to accomplish?

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thank you for your time & help!

Sincerely,

Terry

68141   Thu Oct 8 11:27:55 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionWindowsV3Re: How can I host elog in a web server

I am honestly not sure if I understand the question. You can run ELOG behind an Apache Webserver. Look for example at https://midas.psi.ch/elog/adminguide.html#secure

Dawang wrote:

How can I host elog in a web server. I need sample config file on [global] segment to show config on how it can be host. Please need your help. Thanks

68164   Tue Oct 27 11:23:43 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionWindowslatestRe: Please advise on how to set up selective email notification on logbooks
Hi Julian,
there is a whole chapter in the documentation about that: https://midas.psi.ch/elog/config.html#email
If I have to send email, e.g. for Controls issues entered in the operation logbook, I do send the email to a specific mailman mailing list for that group.
It is cumbersome to manage email groups in the logbook configuration - in particular if the same lists exists in different logbooks. I only refer to the mailing list then in ELOG, and the groups can manage their lists themself.
I do maintain about 30 logbooks and there are about 10 groups at my institutes that desire email notifications for ELOG entries related to the systems they manage.
Cheers
Andreas
Julian Brower wrote:

Please advise on how to set up selective email notification on logbooks; We want to send an email to specific people when an event that involves them is entered? 

At the moment, we currently get an email entry for every new logbook entry. Thanks

68165   Tue Oct 27 12:20:16 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionLinux3.1.1Re: running more then one shell command when new entries is submitted
As far as I know ELOG is recognising a configuration line as a comment only when it starts with a ';'.
I can assure you that ELOG does not treat the rest of the line as a comment when you use a ';' within a $shell() command: I do it a lot and it works fine. Here's a simple, generic example using the bash:

Preset Author = $shell(if [ $short_name = "Anonym" ] ;then echo $Author;else echo \"$long_name, $Author\";fi)
It adds $long_name to the Author field for non-anonymous entries.

Cheers Andreas

kenzo Abrahams wrote:

If i put the ';' into Execute the rest of the command becomes a comment thats why i was trying to use '&&' instead. If I encapulate the whole command in "" or '' then both commands are executed but the files im trying to write to gets created but no data is piped into it. When I use Execute with one command and pipe its output to a file everything works fine though.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

The command is passed to your shell, and some shells except more than one command. Most Linux shells accept commands separated by ';', which you can try yourself by entering for example: ls *.c; ls*.h

kenzo Abrahams wrote:

Hi

Im just curious is it possible to run more then one command using Execute new = <command> or will i have to run a script to run muliple commands.

I tried using '&&' to seperate more then one command but it seems that the first one only gets executed and the rest are just ignored.

Regards

Kenzo

68168   Wed Oct 28 08:51:17 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionLinux3.1.1Re: dynamic "preset text" option without remplace text if it has changed

I don't think that this is possible.

And it is not clear to me, how you would like it to work: I often use HTML tables in preset text, where the user should fill out columns (e.g. for checklists). I wouldn't want the tables just to append when switching to another checklist. You could rather add a comment to the Type field, explaining that the text field will be overwritten when you change the type.

The Firefox addon Lazarus does store whatever you've typed in an HTML form: at least you could then recover what you've typed.

Cheers, Andreas

Dani wrote:

Dear all,

Is it possible to have a dynamic "preset text" option without remplace text if it has changed?

I would like to switch the template file depending on the attribute value (Type). 

If user already started editing the text body, on change (Type) he could lose this data. 

I'm using this example code :
Attributes = Type, Subject
Options Type = One{1}, Two{2}, Three{3}
Show text = 0

{1} Preset text = text1
{2} Preset text = text2
{3} Preset text = text3
{1,2,3} Show text = 1

I the attribute type change the user lost the data, because the text has been replaced.

Any idea about how to solve it?

Thanks!
Cheers

68172   Fri Oct 30 15:52:33 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionLinux3.1.1Re: propogating messages through logbooks
> Hi there
> 
> Okay so let me explain what im trying to do. I have a table in a logbook (lets call it home) that the user fills
> out. This information in the table is related to other logbooks (8 of them to be exact).
> I want to propogate information from the table in the home logbook into the other logbooks. To do this I used
> Execute new which runs my scripts. One of the scripts makes a call to the elog
> client to submit the message. The problem is that this call to elog client never finishes because its hanging
> waiting for the initial submit (one which triggered Execute new) to finish. The documentation
> explained that only one submit can be processed at a time so i expected whats happening at the moment.
> 
> My question is are there any other ways to do what im trying to do?? In a nutshell how to propogate information
> from one logbook to another autonomously.
> 
> Regards
> Kenzo

Hi Kenzo,
I think it would help me to understand your problem, if you would provide a minimal configuration file with two
logbooks.

There is no ELOG internal feature to propagate data from one logbook to another; 
using a shell script is the only method I know.
But you could easily put your script into the background: 
ELOG can handle multiple parallel request, by handling one request after the other.

Kind Regards, Andreas
  68176   Mon Nov 2 08:41:20 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chBug reportAll3.1.1Re: restrict edit time and autosave
Hi Kester,
yes, I did run into the same problem, that I could not even delete old drafts due to our restrict edit time.
We allow anonymous submissions in our operation logbooks. After a while drafts of unsubmitted messages just pile up; and I need to remove them as administrator.
While I can do that easily for anonymous drafts, I cannot do that for drafts of other users: I don't easily see those drafts.
It would be really nice, if drafts would be handled different then other entries regarding "Restrict edit time" as you've suggested.
Cheers, Andreas
Kester Habermann wrote:

Hello,

When using restrict edit time together with autosave, there is the following problem: The counter for restrict edit time seems to start after the autosave. If the time is up, it is no longer possible to submit the report.
It is also not possble to edit old drafts if restrict edit has elapsed since the creation of the save.
Autosave is definitively a nice new feature. However, I think it would be better if the counter for restrict edit time only started after the "submit" of the report and allowed edits to drafts no matter how old they are. As it is one needs to either set a really high value for restrict edit time or turn off autosave.
The issue seems to be related to: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68103

Regards

Kester

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886