Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 747 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Categoryup OS ELOG Version Subject
  1751   Mon Mar 6 13:50:07 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestAll2.6.1-1668Re: require smileys to have whitespace on either side?

Glenn Horton-Smith wrote:
It would be nice if elog would only interpret something as a smiley if it is surrounded by whitespace. It can be particularly annoying that an 8 followed by a right paren becomes a "cool" smiley -- e.g., a parenthetical reference to event eighteen (18) becomes mangled... [That was "18" inside the parens.]

Is there already a way to solve this issue (other than always previewing your entries and adding spaces before parans)? Is the feature hard to implement?

Interpreting smileys only if they are surrounded by whitespace does not solve the problem completely. It will solve it for (1\8), but not if you have (1, \8) (1, 9) in your text. So it's not a good solution. If you have problems with simleys, I would post my text in plain mode, or surround your numbers with [code]...[/code] tags. If you write

[code](1\8)[/code]

then it will look like
(18)

which should be fine.
  1754   Mon Mar 6 17:43:11 2006 Reply Steve Jonessteve.jones@freescale.comRequestAll2.6.1Re: Allow $attributes in "Comment = " option

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Steve Jones wrote:
Is it possible to allow $attribute substitutions in the "Comment =" option for logbooks?

The "Comment =" option for logbooks gives a general comment, like Discussion forum about ELOG for this forum. Since this comment is global, it does not make sense to have $attribute substitution.

Quote:
Ok, just a thought. Thanks
  1760   Mon Mar 6 20:51:57 2006 Idea Glenn Horton-Smithgahs@phys.ksu.eduRequestAll2.6.1-1668Provide option to require smileys to be bracketed a la ELCode?

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Glenn Horton-Smith wrote:
It would be nice if elog would only interpret something as a smiley if it is surrounded by whitespace. It can be particularly annoying that an 8 followed by a right paren becomes a "cool" smiley -- e.g., a parenthetical reference to event eighteen (18) becomes mangled... [That was "18" inside the parens.] ...

Interpreting smileys only if they are surrounded by whitespace does not solve the problem completely. It will solve it for (1\8), but not if you have (1, \8) (1, 9) in your text. So it's not a good solution. If you have problems with simleys, I would post my text in plain mode, or surround your numbers with [code]...[/code] tags...

Hmm, you're right. But I like EL Code, and I don't want to give it up just because of the smileys! A better solution would be to provide an option, which when set, would require smileys to be in brackets, e.g., [\8)] would become the cool smiley [8)], rendered without surrounding brackets if the option was set.

I actually just spent some time I didn't really have and modified my copy of elogd to see if it could be done and would work as intended. Eureka, it works! The modification implements an option "use bracketed smileys" which, if set to 1, causes the editor smiley bar to insert smileys with the square brackets around them and causes rsputs_elcode() to only substitute for smileys if there are square brackets around them, suppressing the square brackets.

I like this feature. Maybe others would like it too. I have a patch file (diff -cbw) w.r.t. svn version 1663 if you're interested.
  1778   Thu Mar 23 14:49:07 2006 Reply Lars Jorgensenlars.jorgensen@jppol.dkRequestLinux Re: implement 'hide attribute' and 'sort attribute'
> > Only the sorting (of the entry mask!) is missing! :)
> 
> Ok, I put that on my wish list. So once the second or third person asks for it, I will
> implement it (;-)

I'm asking! :-)

I have a few Extendable Options attributes, and it would be extremely nice if they got sorted as users put them 
in. So that when you select the drop-down box, alle options are sorted.

Lars
  1779   Thu Mar 23 21:52:03 2006 Reply Steve Jonessteve.jones@freescale.comRequestLinux Re: implement 'hide attribute' and 'sort attribute'
> > > Only the sorting (of the entry mask!) is missing! :)
> > 
> > Ok, I put that on my wish list. So once the second or third person asks for it, I will
> > implement it (;-)
> 
> I'm asking! :-)
> 
> I have a few Extendable Options attributes, and it would be extremely nice if they got sorted as users put them 
> in. So that when you select the drop-down box, alle options are sorted.
> 
> 
> Lars

Agreed - that would be nice
  1789   Tue Apr 4 06:18:18 2006 Question Steve Jonessteve.jones@freescale.comRequest 2.6.1Simple math within an elog form
This may sound a little strange but I am trying to determine if it is possible to create a series of attributes that may be assigned an integer value via OPTIONS, and then take the selected values and perform some simple math and display the result. For example:

What we are trying to do is create a simple form that helps a person assign a risk value to a series of identified risks

Attributes = risk1, risk2, risk3, totalrisk
Type risk1 = numeric
Type risk2 = numeric
Type risk3 = numeric

OPtions risk1 = 10, 20, 30
Options risk2 = 10, 20 , 30
OPtions risk3 = 10, 20 , 30

Subst totalrisk = $risk1+$risk2+$risk3

I suppose I could use $shell to do this but I was trying to stay away from $shell for security reasons.

Thanks
  1790   Tue Apr 4 08:15:29 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequest 2.6.1Re: Simple math within an elog form

Steve Jones wrote:
This may sound a little strange but I am trying to determine if it is possible to create a series of attributes that may be assigned an integer value via OPTIONS, and then take the selected values and perform some simple math and display the result.

This item is already on the wishlist, so I added your vote there. But due to my workload, it will certainly not be implemented in the next few weeks.
  1792   Wed Apr 5 00:00:14 2006 Reply Steve Jonessteve.jones@freescale.comRequest 2.6.1Re: Simple math within an elog form

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Steve Jones wrote:
This may sound a little strange but I am trying to determine if it is possible to create a series of attributes that may be assigned an integer value via OPTIONS, and then take the selected values and perform some simple math and display the result.

This item is already on the wishlist, so I added your vote there. But due to my workload, it will certainly not be implemented in the next few weeks.

Quote:

Ok, understood. So instead I am trying to use $shell and am running into a problem
##################################################
# Define Risk1
#
Options Risk1 = 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 

# Define Risk2
#
Options Risk2 = 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 

# Define Risk2
#
Options Risk3 = 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 

# Define TotalRisk
#
Subst TotalRisk = $shell(echo $Risk1 + $Risk2 + $Risk3 > /tmp/elog_out)
#Subst TotalRisk = $shell(gawk 'BEGIN{ print $Risk1 + $Risk2 + $Risk3 }' )
#Subst TotalRisk = $shell(uname -a)

What comes out with my simple echo or gawk line is "+ + " so it looks like the attributes are not getting passed into the $shell code?
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886