Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 770 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Emailup Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  67949   Thu Jun 4 16:25:42 2015 Reply David Walliswallis@aps.anl.govQuestionWindows3.1Re: LDAP docs

This is what I've been able to figure out, in terms of the elogd.cfg file:

LDAP server = server.domain:389
LDAP userbase = ou=people,o=domain.com,dc=domain,dc=com
LDAP login attribute = uid
LDAP register = 0

Stephen G wrote:

Could someone point me to the LDAP configuration docs, I searched to no avail.  I'm sure there is some big red ldap config button it, but I just can't find it.

67950   Thu Jun 4 18:12:43 2015 Reply David Walliswallis@aps.anl.govQuestionLinux3.1.0-2Re: Timstamp button in ckedit inserts an incorrect string ( elogd 3.1.0-2)

Additional info:

"Time format = %Y" results in "2015" being pasted into the edit window when I hit the "time stamp" button.

"Time format = %m/%Y" results in the string "06/2015"

"TIme format = %m/%d/%Y" results in the string "06/04"

"Time format = %m/%d %H" results in the string "06/04 "

David Wallis wrote:

I just updated to the latest official release (V3.1.0-2411f95) and have these problems:

1. The Time Stamp button pastes the logbook name when "Time format" is not specified in elogd.cfg, and when it is set to "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M", it adds the string "5/28/."
  2. Drag and drop for attachments dosn't work on either Chrome 37.0.2062.94 (64-bit) or FIrefox 31.5.3 (both on Linux). D&D works on the midas.psi.ch demo page. On my logbooks, the "drop attachements here" area does not have a dashed line border
  3. Auto-saving does not seem to be working.

The "Syntax of elogd.cfg" help file doesn't seem to reflect some of these features... it took me a while to find the settings for LDAP authentication. Am I just missing some settings for these features?

My users are loving the new functionality added in 3.1!

67963   Fri Jun 5 23:02:06 2015 Reply David Walliswallis@aps.anl.govQuestionLinux3.1.0-2Re: ckeditor "Insert Timestamp" bug (was: Three problems with elogd 3.1.0-2)

Andreas,

I too was able to track the problem down to the "gettimedate" function in elogd.c. It looks like the code is using a variable named "str" for several different purposes. I haven't had a chance to do any testing, but my suspsicion is that the size of the dynamically allocated variable is ending up too small for the time stamp string, so it gets truncated.

Your point about the topic title is a good one - I'll split this into separate issues, thanks!

Andreas Luedeke wrote:
I can confirm that there is currently a problem with the ckeditor "Insert Timestamp" button.
It apparently calls javascript code in ckeditor/plugins/timestamp/plugin.js
to catch a string from the URL "../../?cmd=gettimedate"
(I think this is one too many "../", but anyway). if you try this for the Forum:
https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/?cmd=gettimedate
it returns the wrong string. It is "Forum" instead of the date.

PS to David: The subject "Three problems ..." is not giving any indication what it is about. I would find it better in this case to post three entries to the Forum, each with a striking title :-)

David Wallis wrote:

Additional info:

"Time format = %Y" results in "2015" being pasted into the edit window when I hit the "time stamp" button.

"Time format = %m/%Y" results in the string "06/2015"

"TIme format = %m/%d/%Y" results in the string "06/04"

"Time format = %m/%d %H" results in the string "06/04 "

David Wallis wrote:

I just updated to the latest official release (V3.1.0-2411f95) and have these problems:

1. The Time Stamp button pastes the logbook name when "Time format" is not specified in elogd.cfg, and when it is set to "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M", it adds the string "5/28/."
  2. Drag and drop for attachments dosn't work on either Chrome 37.0.2062.94 (64-bit) or FIrefox 31.5.3 (both on Linux). D&D works on the midas.psi.ch demo page. On my logbooks, the "drop attachements here" area does not have a dashed line border
  3. Auto-saving does not seem to be working.

The "Syntax of elogd.cfg" help file doesn't seem to reflect some of these features... it took me a while to find the settings for LDAP authentication. Am I just missing some settings for these features?

My users are loving the new functionality added in 3.1!

67964   Fri Jun 5 23:08:43 2015 Warning David Walliswallis@aps.anl.govBug reportLinux3.1.0Drag-and-drop not working in elog 3.1.0

Drag and drop for attachments dosn't work on either Chrome 37.0.2062.94 (64-bit) or FIrefox 31.5.3 (both on Linux). D&D works on the midas.psi.ch demo page.

On my logbooks, the "drop attachements here" area does not have a dashed line border.

I don't see anything in the elogd.conf file that pertains to this feature.

67965   Fri Jun 5 23:10:27 2015 Warning David Walliswallis@aps.anl.govBug reportLinux3.1.0Auto save feature not working on 3.1.0

Auto-saving does not seem to be working. In the config file, I have the following:

Save drafts = 1
Autosave = 10

but I never see the "auto saving" message or get any other indication that the feature is working.

Am I missing something?

68007   Wed Jun 10 17:45:21 2015 Reply David Walliswallis@aps.anl.govBug reportLinux3.1.0Re: Drag-and-drop not working in elog 3.1.0

Andreas,

I am running the latest version of the elogd source RPM that I could find - ELOG V3.1.0-2411f95 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.6 (Santiago), with kernel level 2.6.32-504.16.2.el6.x86_64. I can try grabbing the latest source code from Git and try building that. There are a couple other fixes I'd like to apply anyway. Thanks!

Andreas Luedeke wrote:
As you've pointed out, for the very same browsers D&D works with the Forum, and that is ELOG 3.1.0.
Hence I can only conclude that it is neither a browser, nor an ELOG issue, but a problem of your local installation. Maybe you try with a fresh and clean installation first? What Linux are you using, by the way?
Or you've picked by bad luck a 3.1.0 version where D&D did really not work. But I cannot tell, since you did not specify the git revision in the ELOG version (it is possible now ;-)
Cheers
Andreas
David Wallis wrote:

Drag and drop for attachments dosn't work on either Chrome 37.0.2062.94 (64-bit) or FIrefox 31.5.3 (both on Linux). D&D works on the midas.psi.ch demo page.

On my logbooks, the "drop attachements here" area does not have a dashed line border.

I don't see anything in the elogd.conf file that pertains to this feature.

69055   Tue Nov 5 21:42:50 2019 Question David Walliswallis@aps.anl.govQuestionLinuxV3.1.4-ba84827PAM authentication question

I'm testing the PAM authentication feature, and have a couple questions, a suggestion, and a comment.

First the comment... it was pretty easy to get working, and is exactly what we need here, so thanks! Our PAM stack here is designed to allow logins with Active Directory, LDAP, or local accounts, so the PAM option preserves all of that.

The suggestion: In order to make it work, I had to add a symbolic link in /etc/pam.d:
    elogd -> system-auth
That might be considered for addition to the documentation (this was on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.7)

The questions:

1. The docs indicate that "Self register" must be set to >= 1, but in the code (elogd.c, line 26453), if the PAM module is enabled, Self register is overriden to 0. The result is that no "register as new user" link is displayed on the login screen. Is that the intent?
  2. Related... can PAM and File authentication both be enabled? We have some logbooks that are used by both internal people (with an A/D account) and outside collaborators that get local elog accounts. This works with LDAP + File, can it work with PAM?

Thanks in advance!

69061   Thu Nov 21 18:10:28 2019 Reply David Walliswallis@aps.anl.govQuestionLinuxV3.1.4-ba84827Re: PAM authentication question

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for looking into this, if you can enable PAM + File, our users would be very happy!

The pam.d issue is probably related to CentOS/Red Hat, since our PAM expert warned me that it might be necessary.

Jan Christoph Terasa wrote:
David Wallis wrote:

I'm testing the PAM authentication feature, and have a couple questions, a suggestion, and a comment.

First the comment... it was pretty easy to get working, and is exactly what we need here, so thanks! Our PAM stack here is designed to allow logins with Active Directory, LDAP, or local accounts, so the PAM option preserves all of that.

The suggestion: In order to make it work, I had to add a symbolic link in /etc/pam.d:
    elogd -> system-auth
That might be considered for addition to the documentation (this was on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.7)

The questions:

1. The docs indicate that "Self register" must be set to >= 1, but in the code (elogd.c, line 26453), if the PAM module is enabled, Self register is overriden to 0. The result is that no "register as new user" link is displayed on the login screen. Is that the intent?
  2. Related... can PAM and File authentication both be enabled? We have some logbooks that are used by both internal people (with an A/D account) and outside collaborators that get local elog accounts. This works with LDAP + File, can it work with PAM?

Thanks in advance!

David, thank you for reporting on your findings regarding the PAM feature. I will look into the points you mentioned:

0. On my machines (Debian testing and stable) I did not have to add anything to /etc/pam.d, but apparently Debian just uses implicit defaults then, and REHL might insist on using excplicit settings. Adding a hint in the documentation is certainly useful, thank your for the suggestion. Maybe elog should provide a pam.d config file (which can be installed/adapted by package maintainers for various OSes).

1.+2. If I remember correctly, I intentionally disabled registration when using the PAM backend, because users will register using their passwd/LDAP/NIS users, and new users can only be regustered using the appropriate tools for the authentication mechanism used. This might not be correctly reflected in the docs, I will check that. In the light of question 2., I can also re-investigate that policy, so that logins will check against both the elog user database and PAM. Self-registering can then be enabled again, and new registrees will go to the elog database. I will try to bringthe code in line with how LDAP works.

regards,

Christoph

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886