Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 771 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OSdown ELOG Version Subject
  1154   Fri May 20 14:40:12 2005 Warning Alex Halex@synergie-inf.comRequest 2.5.8-6password encryption
Hi Stefan,

I have found a little problem with elog. I'am using ELOG V2.5.8-6. When I'am on the logon page,
I type my Login and password and hit "submit", in the bottom of IE, we can show my password without encryption, it can be dangerous. I have made a screenshot to explain my problem better.
Could you fix it for the next release ?
Thanks a lot.
Alex
Attachment 1: password.gif
password.gif
  1158   Tue May 24 20:32:08 2005 Entry Andynekto@myway.com   Problem with auto-increment attribute
I have a very strange problem with auto-increment attribute. Here is a part of my configuration:

Attributes = Access ID, Harvest Date, Access, Species, PI, Submission date, Stain, Comments
Preset Access ID = MI-05-%03d
Type Harvest date = date
Type Submission date = date

I tried to add new entry, and it's Access ID is MI-05-001. But when I'm adding another entries,
there Access ID is MI-05-006
I found only one mention of using increment in documentation.
What I'm doing wrong?
  1159   Fri May 27 14:48:05 2005 Warning Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequest 2.5.8-6Re: password encryption

Alex H wrote:
Hi Stefan,

I have found a little problem with elog. I'am using ELOG V2.5.8-6. When I'am on the logon page,
I type my Login and password and hit "submit", in the bottom of IE, we can show my password without encryption, it can be dangerous. I have made a screenshot to explain my problem better.
Thanks a lot.
Alex

Unfortunately there is no real way around that. If a password is entered into a text box, it is always transferred in plain text (which means that in security-sensive installations one should always use SSL together with elog). I encrypt it on the server side and do an immediate redirect which "hided" the plain password, but if your connection is slow, you might see it for a moment. Unless nobody has a clever idea of how to prevent this, we're out of luck.
  1160   Mon May 30 10:01:14 2005 Blink Alex Halex@synergie-inf.comRequest 2.5.8-6Re: password encryption

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Alex H wrote:
Hi Stefan,

Thanks a lot.
Alex

Unfortunately there is no real way around that. If a password is entered into a text box, it is always transferred in plain text (which means that in security-sensive installations one should always use SSL together with elog). I encrypt it on the server side and do an immediate redirect which "hided" the plain password, but if your connection is slow, you might see it for a moment. Unless nobody has a clever idea of how to prevent this, we're out of luck.

Oki Thanks for the answer Smile.

Alex
  1176   Sat Jun 4 14:00:17 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequest 2.5.8-6Re: password encryption

Alex H wrote:
Thanks a lot.
Alex

I switched the login page to the HTTP "POST" method, where arguments are not passed in the URL.

The new version is under CVS. Can you try if the behaviour is better now? I upgraded also the ELOG forum, so you can try there as well.
  1307   Mon Jul 25 10:14:27 2005 Entry Dinesh Bapatdinesh.bapat@gmail.comQuestion  Summary page
Hi,

This might be a stupid question.

But I was unable to fix it. Hence asking for help. I have set config as

List Display = ID, Author, Type, When, Subject

But "Summary" page of my e-log continues to display additional column "Text". Kindly advise how to hide this last column. Also, is it possible to assign % width for each of these columns (ID, Author, Type, When, Subject)

Thank you

Regards

Dinesh
  1308   Mon Jul 25 10:24:23 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestion  Re: Summary page

Dinesh Bapat wrote:
But "Summary" page of my e-log continues to display additional column "Text". Kindly advise how to hide this last column.

Summary lines = 0

Dinesh Bapat wrote:
Also, is it possible to assign % width for each of these columns (ID, Author, Type, When, Subject)

Yes, via the Cascading Style Sheets, but only for the single display page. First put a

Format Author = 0, author_name, author_value

then put into your default.css following sections:
.author_name {
  width:10%;
  text-align:right;
  font-size:14pt;
  background-color:#AAAAFF;
  border:1px solid #0000FF;
  border-top:1px solid white;
  border-left:1px solid white;
  padding:3px;
}

.author_value {
  width:10%;
  font-size:14pt;
  border:1px solid #308000;
  border-top:1px solid white;
  border-left:1px solid white;
  background-color:#BBCCBB;
  padding:3px;
}

Here you can then play with the width, font-size etc. I use this for example for the large subject dispaly in this forum.

On the list display however, the column width is determined by the browser, which tries to optimally arrange the colums for best readability.
  1351   Wed Jul 27 17:38:25 2005 Question Chris Greengreenc@fnal.gov   Notify email recipient of attachments without including?
Hi,

Our elog is going to be taking some large attachments. I've disabled the attachments from going out in the email, but I'd like email recipients to know that the post has attachments associated with it. Is there a mechanism to do this already, or would it be an enhancement? I'm looking for something like:

Email Notify Attachments = 0 | 1 | 2

Where 0 = no notification,
1 = number only,
2 = list

... independent of whether attachments are included with the email itself.

Thanks,
Chris.
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886