Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 198 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subjectup
  69023   Tue Oct 8 05:42:56 2019 Reply Kevin Wangwangkl1020@gmail.comQuestionLinux3.1.4Re: Cannot connect to server of Gmail SMTP

Hi Stefan,

Thank you very much for your reply. So which SMTP type can I use now? Is outlook OK?

Kevin

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Gmail uses a type of SMTP authentication which is currently not supported by elog. It's however on the todo list.

Stefan

Kevin Wang wrote:

Hi all,

When I tried to set SMTP server of Gmail in the global configuration file, I get the message "Error sending Email via <i>"smtp.gmail.com"</i>: Cannot connect to server" after I tried to receive the Email notification. Is there anyone gives help to solve this issue?

Thanks!

Kevin

69024   Tue Oct 8 06:47:27 2019 Reply Johnsecondcomingtechnologies@fastmail.comQuestionLinux3.1.4Re: Cannot connect to server of Gmail SMTP

This is a local issue  on your network, if you have a mail server setup. SMTP is not handled directly by Elog and neither is any other mail protocal. Elog just sends the requested email to your server for processing to the recipients afaict. And whatever server (or service) you use to handle email sending needs to be able to accept them from your mail server. So after verifying which ones  you want to use; (like OutLook, or gmail, or whatever), then have your local email server set up to work with them. You can prol have a 3rd party do this was well (instead of your own local one) but then they would STILL need to be able to work with whatever guidlines the actual sender (gmail, hotmail..) requires to have mail sent. Email is a lonnng trail of different providers, servers, and other actors..

Halvy

Kevin Wang wrote:

Hi Stefan,

Thank you very much for your reply. So which SMTP type can I use now? Is outlook OK?

Kevin

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Gmail uses a type of SMTP authentication which is currently not supported by elog. It's however on the todo list.

Stefan

Kevin Wang wrote:

Hi all,

When I tried to set SMTP server of Gmail in the global configuration file, I get the message "Error sending Email via <i>"smtp.gmail.com"</i>: Cannot connect to server" after I tried to receive the Email notification. Is there anyone gives help to solve this issue?

Thanks!

Kevin

1892   Sun Aug 13 11:15:49 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows2.6.2Re: Cannot get email to work at all, configuation problem?

Checker Anderson wrote:
I an new to elog and the only thing I cannot seem to configure correctly is my SMTP information. Here is a sample of my config file:

SMTP host = checkeranderson.com
SMTP username = Checker@realchecker
SMTP Password = eWFod2Vo

I host my own mail server which uses authentication and my password was set using -t on the command line. With SMTP host = I have tried smtp.checkeranderson.com (which is how my mail program puts it) and mail.checkeranderson.com which is how my DNS server has it. The user name and password are correct. When I edit or reply to any topic I get the message "Error sending Email via "checkeranderson.com"" I have struggled with this for hours and I know I must be missing something that would be obvious to anyone else. Can anyone help me?

Start the ELOG server manually in a DOS box with the "-v" flag, like

> cd \Program Files\ELOG
> elogd.exe -v

(you first might have to stop the elog service via "net stop elogd"). Now you see all communication between the browser and elog and between elog and the SMTP server. If you now try to send an email, you will see the detailed error information returned by your SMTP server.
  1893   Sun Aug 13 15:49:06 2006 Reply Checker Andersonchecker@checkeranderson.comQuestionWindows2.6.2Re: Cannot get email to work at all, configuation problem?
Here is what I am seeing when I use the -v option. I do not recognize what is generating the error message, but pperhaps you will. Thanks.

Email from checker@checkeranderson.com to checker@checkeranderson.com,checker@ch
eckeranderson.com, SMTP host smtp.checkeranderson.com:
220 checkeranderson.com ESMTP MailEnable Service, Version: 1.91-- ready at 08/13
/06 08:34:25
EHLO CHECKER
250-checkeranderson.com [192.168.1.1], this server offers 4 extensions
250-AUTH LOGIN
250-SIZE 5120000
250-HELP
250 AUTH=LOGIN
==== Return ================================
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: ELOG HTTP 2.6.2-1699
Connection: Keep-Alive
Keep-Alive: timeout=60, max=10
Location: http://checkeranderson.com:696/Checkers+Blog/9?error=Error+sending+Ema
il+via+<i>"smtp.checkeranderson.com"</i>
Content-Length: 20
  1894   Sun Aug 13 17:56:24 2006 Smile Checker Andersonchecker@checkeranderson.comQuestionWindows2.6.2Re: Cannot get email to work at all, configuation problem?
Okay, I got it working but I had to change the authentication method of my mail server to Pop before SMTP. I do not know why the username/password doesn't work - it does work with Outlook Express. I would rather use the username/password method, but atleast things are working now.
  1901   Tue Aug 15 13:25:00 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows2.6.2Re: Cannot get email to work at all, configuation problem?

Checker Anderson wrote:
Okay, I got it working but I had to change the authentication method of my mail server to Pop before SMTP. I do not know why the username/password doesn't work - it does work with Outlook Express. I would rather use the username/password method, but atleast things are working now.

That's really strange, since elog does not do any pop at all. So "pop before SMTP" won't help. The elogd message log in the previous message seems truncated to me, you should get something like
Email from stefan.ritt@psi.ch to stefan.ritt@psi.ch, SMTP host mail.psi.ch:
220 MAILSEND02.psi.ch mailsend02vs01 Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:22:24 +0200
HELO pc4534.psi.ch
250 MAILSEND02.psi.ch Hello [129.129.228.115]
MAIL FROM: stefan.ritt@psi.ch
250 2.1.0 stefan.ritt@psi.ch....Sender OK
RCPT TO: <stefan.ritt@psi.ch>
250 2.1.5 stefan.ritt@psi.ch
DATA
354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:22:23 +0200
To: stefan.ritt@psi.ch,
User-Agent: Elog Version 2.6.2
Subject: Updated ELOG entry
X-Elog-URL: http://localhost:8080/demo/7
X-Elog-submit-type: web|elog
Content-Type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

In your case there should even be more than that due to the authentication (our sever does not use username authentification). Maybe you have an error there in the authentication.
  69706   Tue Oct 24 08:12:38 2023 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinuxlatestRe: Cannot send Emails

ELOG has not change in the last years in that respect, but I know that mailer get more and more picky about encryption etc. So you probably have to convince your mailer to accept the pw as it comes from ELOG, or do not require a pw for that specific client.

Stefan

John wrote:

Hello, my sending of emails was working a while back but I have not checked on it in a few months and found out I am getting authentication errors sending to my MTA (mailer). I was using a base64 to encode the pw but now my mailer (gandi.net) rejects it. Has anything changed over the last couple of years with Elogs code that would be affecting this? I just upgraded (Linux) and changed my testing grounds to non-production and the same problem exists. Thing is I CAN send using other programs, but not with Elog. It is impertive I figure this out or have a work around.. but a 'work around' does not seem like a possible  task since all the work (forums and such) will be via my Elog server.

Thanx, John

1281   Wed Jul 20 20:13:26 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows2.5.4-3Re: Cannot stat() config file

Stefan Rudat wrote:
Cannot stat() config file; No such file or directory.

I do not know what exactly is going on. This error occurs during runtime when elog tries to check if the config file (usually elogd.cfg) has changed. It checks if the file is there on startup, but apparently it is there, otherwise elog would not start. Then it checks about once per second if the file access time has changed. If so, it rereads the file. This way changes to the file become valid immediately, without restarting elog. The fact that elog has access to the file on startup, but not later, is somehow strange. Maybe you lock this file with an editor, or it is on a network drive which gets disconnected, or the permission changed after the startup. Something in that direction.
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886