Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 215 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
icon5.gif   Enable LDAP on Windows, posted by Gerardo Abihaggle on Sun Jul 30 07:39:23 2017 
Hi All,

I'm running ELOG on a Windows machine and I would like to use LDAP for Authentication, however to achive this I need
to compile elog. Any advice on how to do that on Windows?
icon5.gif   elogd hangs, posted by Alan Grant on Fri Aug 18 05:28:16 2017 
I have a very long standing problem with elog over the last few versions where almost daily the service will hang. Cannot even Restart elogd, that
just hangs. Clients experience Page not Found. I can only get the service reinitialized by rebooting the VM machine. I have Elog verbose logging On plus
a number of external triage monitors running but nothing is yielding clues beyond the precise time the hang occurs. Aside from providing the
    icon2.gif   Re: elogd hangs, posted by Stefan Ritt on Fri Aug 18 08:59:08 2017 
I have to figure out where elog hangs. I guess it must be some kind of endless loop, triggered by some corrupt data in one of the elog entries. Under
linux this is fairly simple (just run elogd under the gdb debugger, wait until it hangs, then press ctrl-c and enter "where" to see a full stack
dump where elogd is currently executing). Under Windows this is more difficult, since you need Visual C++ from Microsoft to do the debugging. One thing
    icon2.gif   Re: elogd hangs, posted by David Pilgram on Fri Aug 18 12:40:21 2017 
I have experience of elog hanging (under linux).  I'll describe my situation, although it may not apply to you.  I still use elog 2.9.2
but I am unaware of this issue ever being resolved although I have mentioned it in the past.  (Possibly because I'm one of the few who has this
situation).  I certainly recall other person had this as the problem, and my reply on this forum solved their problem.  The cause is the following:
    icon2.gif   Re: elogd hangs, posted by Alan Grant on Fri Aug 18 14:49:42 2017 
I could begin debugging with C++. In the interim, if you think it will help, I can also provide you with my Config and log files, and the
section of redacted data encompassing the time of the hang - just let me know. Regarding CPU usage, I have noted that in the past and have
never seen very high CPU usage during an Elog hang. The VM itself remains responsive.
    icon2.gif   Re: elogd hangs, posted by Alan Grant on Fri Aug 18 15:10:15 2017 
Yes I think I recall the incident in the Forum you're talking about from previous searches I've done on hanging however so far I haven't used
Reply To's in this elog instance. Nevertheless, you explained it very well and it's good points to keep in mind should I ever use them,
thank you David.
    icon2.gif   Re: elogd hangs, posted by Alan Grant on Fri Aug 18 15:15:57 2017 
Yes I think I recall the incident in the Forum you're talking about from previous searches I've done on hanging however so far I haven't used
Reply To's in this elog instance. Nevertheless, you explained it very well and it's good points to keep in mind should I ever use them,
thank you David.
    icon2.gif   Re: elogd hangs, posted by Stefan Ritt on Fri Aug 18 16:26:14 2017 
Well, having the config and data files only help if I can reproduce the hanging. If if you give me your files and a step-by-step instruction on how to
reproduce the hanging, I can give it a try. But if it happens randomly after a while, it will be very hard for me to reproduce and fix it without the exaclty
same user access pattern which of course I don't have.
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886