Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 215 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OS ELOG Versionup Subject
  1521   Sat Nov 19 11:57:49 2005 Smile Ulrich Trüsselulrich.truessel@familienhund.chQuestionWindows2.6.0beta5Re: Changing width in entry mode

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Ulrich Trüssel wrote:
Problem: see pic "Eingabe.jpg", if thre are more MOptions to select in entry mode, I have to scroll from right to left all the time. Ti s isn't really comfortable.

I had a nowrap statement in the MOptions check boxes, which should not be there. I removed that and now the options are wrapped nicely:

The problem is that in HTML, the check boxes and the associated text are sometimes ripped apart, i.e. the box appears at the right corner and the text at the next line. That's why I had the nowrap statement there.

This fix will be contained in the next release of elog.

Thank you Stefan!!! Smile

Just as an idea: Some People may find it usefull to have the norap statement in the code. If it's possible for a future release it may be nice to have a flag for this feature!
  1522   Mon Nov 21 10:41:46 2005 Smile Carlos Mateocmateo@indra.esQuestionWindows2.6.0beta5Re: Automatic creation of new entry in another logbook

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Carlos Mateo wrote:
I am trying to create an entry in logbook2 when I submit a new entry in logbook1. The automatically created entry in logbook2 will have a reference to the entry that created it.

Please tell me for what purpose you need two identical logbooks. Maybe what you want can be achieved in a simpler way.

They are not identical. They just share some information

Carlos Mateo wrote:
1.- Using the "Execute new" I call elog to create the second entry. As the server is single-process, it locks: elog is waiting for elogd to be ready and elogd is waiting for elog to finish to accept new requests. As my server is on a Windows machine I can´t execute elog on background.

Have you tried to start your elog with the start command under Widnows, like start elog .... This is the equivalent of starting a process in the background under linux.

Thank you. It works with start!

Carlos Mateo wrote:
2.- I tried to run 2 servers on different ports using the same elogd.cfd file, calling the second server from elog. This "almost" works: the logbook files are updated, but the original server must be restarted to "see" the changes.

This is because you use the same data directory for both servers. If one server writes a new entry to a file, the other server does not realize this. Only when you restart it, it rescans the whole data directory and gets aware of the new entry. Try using separate data directories for the two servers.

Carlos Mateo wrote:
3.- Using the "Menu text" option, I create a link to create the new entry. The problem is that attributes are not parsed: a link like this <a href="/logbook2/?cmd=New&pAttr=Value $ID">Test</a> won´t substitute $ID

Parsing attributes is not implemented and therefore will not work.

Thank you for your help
  1527   Mon Nov 21 14:35:20 2005 Reply Yoshio ImaiQuestionLinux2.6.0beta5Re: Passive elog mirrors
Thanks, I will try it with one of these methods.
  1535   Thu Nov 24 20:08:00 2005 Warning Yoshio ImaiBug reportLinux2.6.0beta5"Logkook dir" in top group [global] section ineffective
Hi, it's me again!

I have found one possible bug. We have declared top groups for our logbooks; one for administration and one for the shift logbooks. In the [global]-section there is a "Logbook dir"-statement of the form
[global]
Top group Admin = <...>
Top group Shiftlogs = beamtime1,beamtime2,...

Logbook dir = /data/logbooks
Now, in the [global Shiftlogs] section there is another "Logbook dir"-statement to have all associated logbooks in one tree:
[global Shiftlogs]
Logbook dir = /data/logbooks/shift-logbooks

[beamtime1]
Subdir = beamtime1
The problem is, that the manually created subdirectories /data/logbooks/shift-logbooks/beamtimeN are ignored, and the elogd creates new "Subdir"-directories /data/logbooks/beamtimeN (as if the "Logbook dir" statement in the top group [global] section were ineffective). Is this a bug or configuration error from our side?

There are also one question/request (you see that we use the elog extensively now Wink):
When searching for a particular event in our shift log using the "Find" function, it would often be useful not to go to the single entry, but to the page where that entry resides. This way we can see the whole context of the event. When clicking onto an entry in the "Find" result page, this takes us of course to the single entry, but could you add a function to go to the page instead. Alternatively, is it possible to include a button "Go to page" in the single entry view (it need not even be exactly +/-N entries around, the usual page partition would do)?

Thanks in advance.

Yoshio
  1536   Fri Nov 25 14:05:08 2005 Reply Yoshio ImaiBug reportLinux2.6.0beta5Re: "Logkook dir" in top group [global] section ineffective
OK, I found the note about "Logbook dir" in Stephen Wood's entry (http://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/1101) Wink
  1546   Tue Dec 13 10:51:13 2005 Question Yoshio ImaiRequestLinux2.6.0beta5Logbook aliases
Hi!

Is it possible to implement aliases for logbooks? We would like to use a new logbook for every beamtime, but many services need to read/write to the respective current beamtime logbook. It would therefore be nice to have logbook "aliases", so that e.g. a "virtual" logbook beam could be defined to be an alias/redirection to the current beamtime logbook, and all services could refer to that one instead of having to be reconfigured for each beamtime.
This could also help to make sure everyone on shift writes the entries to the correct logbook ... Wink

Yoshio Imai
  1547   Tue Dec 13 20:34:39 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.6.0beta5Re: Logbook aliases

Yoshio Imai wrote:
Is it possible to implement aliases for logbooks? We would like to use a new logbook for every beamtime, but many services need to read/write to the respective current beamtime logbook. It would therefore be nice to have logbook "aliases", so that e.g. a "virtual" logbook beam could be defined to be an alias/redirection to the current beamtime logbook, and all services could refer to that one instead of having to be reconfigured for each beamtime.
This could also help to make sure everyone on shift writes the entries to the correct logbook ... Wink

You can do that already with the current version: At the end of a beamtime, create a new logbook, take the current logbook as a template, to make sure it has the same settings. Then move all entries from the current logbook to the new beamtime logbook, either with

• the "move to" command from the menu (which you first have to enable. While this works fine for individual entries, I never tried this with a whole logbook (click on "all", then "select all", then move to). So better try this first on a backup
  • moving the logbook entries on the file level. Go to the elog root, then enter "mv logbooks/<current>/* logbooks/<beamtime>/ where <current> is your current (online) logbook and <beamtime> is the new one you just created. You have to restart elogd so that it realizes the moved files

After that, your current logbook is empty again and ready for the new beamtime Big grin .
  1548   Wed Dec 14 11:40:54 2005 Idea Yoshio ImaiRequestLinux2.6.0beta5Re: Logbook aliases
Ok, we will try this.

In our case, the "symlink"-type logbook might have been nice because of our daily backup routines. If we move the data of the old logbook to the newly created one, the backup process would first need to upload all logbook data to the backup server under the new directory name and then delete those under the old name.
In our case this is not so much of a problem, because the logbooks are small (100MB), but maybe you can add this to the wishlist if others request the same... (We could try to adjust the backup procedure, but I don't know how well this would work).

Anyway, thanks for the work!

P.S. What do you think about the idea of a "Go to page"-button for the single entry view?
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886