Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 220 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Emailup Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  1767   Thu Mar 9 21:10:18 2006 Question Edmundo T Rodriguezedrodrig@chpnet.orgQuestionLinux2.6.1Problem submitting entries in ELOG after migrating from Windows to Linux
I was able to install ELOG v2.61. in a Compaq ProLiant DL360 running with SUSE Linux v10
The migration/implementation went quiet well ...

ELOG v2.6.1 application came up find!.
I can login with No problems.
I can see previous logs entries, sort, etc.

But, I can NOT create any new-log (new entries) in any logbook. I get this message:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New entry cannot be written to directory
"/eLOGv261/logbooks/Administration/"

Please check that it exists and elogd has write access and disk is not full
Please use your browser's back button to go back
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The previous logbooks where in ...

\Program Files\ELOG\logbooks\Administration
\MainFrame
\Unix
\OpenVMS
\RDBMS

New logbooks are in the following place ...

/eLOGv261/logbooks/Administration
/MainFrame
/Unix
/OpenVMS
/RDBMS

How can it read old log entries and I NOT create new ones?
I am sure I missing something. Can I know what?

Also, It will be good to have an entry in the ELOG web-site
explaining any migration steps from Window to Linux and reverse!

Please, help.
Thank you!
  65811   Fri Apr 4 22:53:17 2008 Reply Edmundo T Rodriguezedrodrig@chpnet.orgRequestAll Re: attachment indicator in summary view

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Dennis Seitz wrote:

It would be nice to have the option of including an attachment indicator column in summary view to show if an entry has any attachments.

Nice idea. I implemented that feature, as can be seen at the contributions logbook for example. It will be contained in the next release.

Would it be possible to instead of appearing a "clip" and/or "multiple-clips" (as the number of attachments grow) to appear a number which will be = to the count of attachments to avoid the column become too wide?

Hope it works because this is tool better every day.

Keep up the GOOD Work!

66189   Wed Feb 4 18:46:58 2009 Reply Edmundo T Rodriguezedrodrig@chpnet.orgRequestLinux2.7.5Re: frequent crashes on SL4
> ------
> 
> I plan on letting elogd create a core dump, but so far I haven't managed to change its cwd to a directory 
elog can write to.
> 
> Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.  Any suggestions would be greatly 
appreciated.
> 
> Many thanks,
> Devin 

There are other debugers ...

Whay don't you give them a try?

example: Install "strace" (if you don't have it) and do something like ...

strace   gdb /usr/local/sbin/elogd 6162  -debug 2>debug.out

Also there is "ltrace", etc.
  66700   Tue Feb 2 21:52:00 2010 Question Ed Rogersedrogers@fnal.govQuestionLinuxV2.7.5-213Backing up an entire eLog

Hi, I've been using the ELOG software for about a year now. I love it! But as my ELOG becomes more valuable, I become more paranoid about potential data loss. (We've had numerous close-calls with disk failures, recently.) Is there a way to download a backup of my ELOG, all at once? Maybe a command that could create a tar.gz of all the entries and attachments? Further, is there also a command to restore from such a backup? Apologies if this question is answered elsewhere. I couldn't readily find it in the documentation. Regards, --Ed

69084   Wed Jan 22 19:35:36 2020 Question Ehab Fanousefanous@lh.caRequestWindows3.1.4HTML editor tools grayed out

After we upgarde to eLog 3.1.4 ... The HTML editor tools are grayed out and you can't paste any images in the body of the log like I did below.. Any help will be much appreciated..

69086   Thu Jan 23 14:28:28 2020 Reply Ehab Fanousefanous@lh.caRequestWindows3.1.4Re: HTML editor tools grayed out

Thank yoy for responding back to me ... I run the excutable that I downloaded from the website .. How can I do the full directory tree with the ELOG JavaScript files??

Stefan Ritt wrote:

This typically happens if you update only the executabe and not the full directory tree with the ELOG JavaScript files.

/Stefan

Ehab Fanous wrote:

After we upgarde to eLog 3.1.4 ... The HTML editor tools are grayed out and you can't paste any images in the body of the log like I did below.. Any help will be much appreciated..

69095   Fri Jan 24 21:50:37 2020 Reply Ehab Fanousefanous@lh.caRequestWindows3.1.4Re: HTML editor tools grayed out

We just tested eLog and it works in Chrome but not in IE .. Is it a setting issue that we need to chnage on IE ?!

Stefan Ritt wrote:

This typically happens if you update only the executabe and not the full directory tree with the ELOG JavaScript files.

/Stefan

Ehab Fanous wrote:

65909   Mon Jun 9 15:57:15 2008 Reply Erik Iversoneiverson@ornl.govQuestionWindows Re: Mass postings

Stefan Ritt wrote:

mike cianci wrote:

I am setting this up as instrument log in a multi-hospital system, where there will be multiple instruments, in multiple departments, at multiple facilities.

I am using the "Top Group" function to keep the books separate so operators from one instrument/department/facility don't contaminate another instrument/department/facility's logbook.

What I am wondering is there someway to set it up so that a system wide manager could post a message to 5 individual logbooks for 5 identical instruments at 5 different locations all at once (one ELOG server)?

I hope this made sense.  Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment. You would have to use the menu command "copy to" and enable it for the admin user. Then you create your entry, and click on "copy to" once for each location you want to copy this entry.

I found a way to get this to work.  Define a "Messages" logbook for the messages to be broadcast.  None of the user installations need access to it. Use "Execute new = " to execute a script calling the elog command line client passing the message on to each target logbook.  Example:

--- elogd.cfg snippet begin ---

[Messages]

Execute new = mass_post.sh $text &

--- elogd.cfg snippet end ---

--- mass_post.sh begin ---

#!/bin/sh

elog -a Sender="System Administrator" -l "Logbook 1" $@

elog -a Sender="System Administrator" -l "Logbook 2" $@

elog -a Sender="System Administrator" -l "Logbook 3" $@

--- mass_post.sh end ---

The $@ expands to all the command line arguments, so the $text field, with all its spaces, gets passed correctly.  Sorry I showed you the example in bash/linux rather than in Windows, but I don't know Windows real well - you're better off translating into it yourself than my untested attempts.  The one thing I can tell you is that the "Execute new" command must include the "background fork".  In Linux this is provided by the & at the end of the line. In windows you'll need to use

Execute new = start "dummy" /min mass_post.bat

to background the process.  This is ESSENTIAL.  Without backgrounding the batch file, the elogd server will go into an infinite loop.  The parent process will wait for the child process to exit before continuing.  elogd is single-threaded, so the child process cannot start until the parent process has completed its current task (which is waiting for the child process to exit). 

You may need to tweak the above a little if you want to pass variable attributes to the script instead of defining them all in the script itself.

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886