Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 219 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Emailup Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  68119   Mon Sep 21 17:08:44 2015 Reply Edmund Hertleedmund.hertle@kit.eduQuestionWindows2.7.3Re: Syntax for conditional list display

Hey Terry,

I don't think this is possible, since in general you cannot define config settings in a way that it would only affect specific users. For example, you also cannot have different themes for different users (as stated here: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68112 )

Cheers

eddy

Terry L wrote:

Good Morning,

I would like to limit the ability to edit certain attributes in an ELOG logbook, depending on the user who is logged in.  I.e. if "guest" or a standard "login user" is logged in, I only want to allow the user to edit "attribute1" & "attribute2" of say, 5 attributes.  However, if an Admin user or specific user, say "Terry" or "Bob" is logged in, I want to allow ALL 5 attributes to be editable.  To expand on this, I may want to even limit the visibility of the attributes as well.

I've read though "Condition Attributes" section of the help page, but it is not clear to me how/if I can do this?  Is that section even relevant to what I want to accomplish?

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thank you for your time & help!

Sincerely,

Terry

Draft   Tue Sep 22 14:56:37 2015  Edmund Hertleedmund.hertle@kit.eduRequestAll3.1.1Suggestion for tooltips and/or comments

Hey,

if you define a Tooltip at the moment it is only displayed on the attribute. I would like it very much if it would also be displayed on the values (on the right column in the detailed view and on the whole column in the list view), since we are using the tooltips to define the units of the attribute and it would be nice to pop up when you hover a value.

As for the comment it would be nice to have a flag to also show the comment on the detailed view while looking at an entry. At the moment it is only showed when creating a new entry. Again we use this field to define the units.

This is an example of how we use these options:

attributes = Fill Number, Beam Current, Beam Energy, Beam Lifetime, RF Voltage S2, RF Voltage S4, RF Frequency, Synchrotron Frequency

Comment Beam Current = in mA
Comment Beam Energy = in GeV
Comment Beam Lifetime = in hh:mm
Comment RF Voltage S2 = in kV
Comment RF Voltage S4 = in kV
Comment RF Frequency = in MHz
Comment Synchrotron Frequency = in kHz

Tooltip Beam Current = in mA
Tooltip Beam Energy = in GeV
Tooltip Beam Lifetime = in hh:mm
Tooltip RF Voltage S2 = in kV
Tooltip RF Voltage S4 = in kV
Tooltip RF Frequency = in MHz
Tooltip Synchrotron Frequency = in kHz

Cheers

eddy

68121   Tue Sep 22 15:04:55 2015 Idea Edmund Hertleedmund.hertle@kit.eduRequestAll3.1.1Suggestion for tooltips and/or comments

Hey,

if you define a Tooltip at the moment it is only displayed on the attribute. I would like it very much if it would also be displayed on the values (on the right column in the detailed view and on the whole column in the list view), since we are using the tooltips to define the units of the attribute and it would be nice to pop up when you hover a value.

As for the comment it would be nice to have a flag to also show the comment on the detailed view while looking at an entry. At the moment it is only showed when creating a new entry. Again we use this field to define the units.

This is an example of how we use these options:

attributes = Fill Number, Beam Current, Beam Energy, Beam Lifetime, RF Voltage S2, RF Voltage S4, RF Frequency, Synchrotron Frequency

Comment Beam Current = in mA
Comment Beam Energy = in GeV
Comment Beam Lifetime = in hh:mm
Comment RF Voltage S2 = in kV
Comment RF Voltage S4 = in kV
Comment RF Frequency = in MHz
Comment Synchrotron Frequency = in kHz

Tooltip Beam Current = in mA
Tooltip Beam Energy = in GeV
Tooltip Beam Lifetime = in hh:mm
Tooltip RF Voltage S2 = in kV
Tooltip RF Voltage S4 = in kV
Tooltip RF Frequency = in MHz
Tooltip Synchrotron Frequency = in kHz

Cheers

eddy

68126   Fri Sep 25 22:24:18 2015 Reply Edmund Hertleedmund.hertle@kit.eduQuestionWindowsCurrentRe: Submit to multiple logbooks simultaniously

Hey,

You can use the elog command line tool and submit the same attributes to the 5 different logbooks by iterating over the logbook names executing something like this:

elog -l logbook1 -a "attr1=value1" -a "attr2=value2"

elog -l logbook2 -a "attr1=value1" -a "attr2=value2"

elog -l logbook3 -a "attr1=value1" -a "attr2=value2"

elog -l logbook4 -a "attr1=value1" -a "attr2=value2"

elog -l logbook5 -a "attr1=value1" -a "attr2=value2"

Another option would be having an additional common logbook, removing the commonly shared attributes from the other logbooks and add an attribute which links to this entry (using the "elog:logbook/ID" syntax as a value).

Cheers, eddy

Francois Cloutier wrote:

Good day,

My question is : Is it possible to submit to multiple logbooks simultaniously ?

I have 5 logbooks that could share common attributes, is there a way to acheive that without recreate a new entry in each of them ?

Thanks for your help.

68127   Fri Sep 25 22:37:08 2015 Reply Edmund Hertleedmund.hertle@kit.eduQuestionLinux3.1.0Re: Elog command not working properly
> <p>Hi,</p>
> 
> <p>I have a problem running elog command from php script. Basically in the php I call system(&quot;elog -h etc etc.. And from the php command line works but not in the browser apparently without errors (php apache 
logfile no problem), any suggestions?</p>

Hey,
this sounds more like a PHP issue.
Which PHP version are you using? 
Which webserver? 
Which php function are you using: shell_exec() or exec()? Try looking at the return of exec()
Is the elog file set to the correct file permissions to be executed by the webserver?
Is the elog file in the PHP path or do you take care of defining the correct path?

eddy
  68136   Wed Sep 30 10:23:30 2015 Reply Edmund Hertleedmund.hertle@kit.eduRequestAll2.9.0(elogd)Re: elog client overwriting attached files when editing existing log

Hey,

the edit/replace feature is already capable of just replacing individual attributes. I already make heavy use of this feature:

1. One entry is created with some measurement parameters

2. A different script is running processing the measurement data making a plot and a fit

3. Two fit parameters and the attachment are added to the original elog entry (all other attributes and values still exist afterwards)

But the problem here is, that although it does work for normal attrbutes, the attachments will always be replaced (=> removed) if you use this command. Since I only add the attachment on the edit it does work for me. 

Btw the documentation on the homepage is also misleading about the -w command, since in the actual version it does nothing with any password but just reads back the whole elog entry (which I use to manually append the main message)

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

The "elog" command has no "append" feature. You can either create a new entry, or you can overwrite an old entry. Therefore this is not a bug but the intended bahaviour.

I admit that the documentation is misleading, since overwriting an existing entry is called "editing":

[-e <id>]                Edit existing message

I interprete your posts that you would like to have two new features for the "elog" command:

• to append text to the body of an existing entry
  • to add additional attachments to an existing entry

Without a specific application in mind I would like to add a request (for consistency):

• to modify a specific attribute of an existing entry.

Cheers, Andreas

Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey,

I think this is a "problem" of the elog client, since it simply replaces the data. In most cases this is what you want, but since I wanted to have the option to append to the acutal message I built a function to first read-back the entry and add to the message instead of replacing it.

I just played around a bit and found that the attachments will be even disconnected, if you do not specify the -f parameter but just edit a different part of this entry.

A work-around for this is tricky. I tried to write to the "Attachment" attribute directly (-a "Attachment=Filename'), since then you coud read back the data first and manually add the filenames again. But this does not work.

Since the attachments are not actually removed, the only option I see is to modify the logbook file entry on the server by manually re-adding the filenames to the "Attachment: " line.

Joseph McKenna wrote:

Using the elog client to upload atachments, I can successfully send attachments to an existing elog, however the existing attachments are lost.

I have tested using the elog client version 3.1.1 and elog client version 2.9.2 sending to elogd 2.9.0

elog -h localhost -p 8080 -l test -f  file1.png -f file2.png -e 249 -v -x

This works great, the text contained in the elog post is retained, however all attachments are lost and replaced with those sent by this command.

Can anyone provide some tips? I am not sure if its a problem with the client or server.

Thank you in advance!

Joseph

1500   Thu Nov 3 23:39:46 2005 Entry Edmundo T Rodriguezedrodrig@chpnet.orgBug reportWindows2.6.0beta5ELOG v2.6.0-beta5 (Windows) crashes while using " Forgot password?"
The following ELOG behavior seems to be like a bug ...

-> Anybody click on "Forgot password?" in the login screen, to have the system
send him the forgotten password, and after a little while trying, (possibly doing
resolution) the ELOG application crashes.

The ELOG service have to registered again.

The SMPT host may not be right, but ELOG should not crash just for that.

It should says something like "Can not find SMTP server", etc.

Have anybody got into this problem?, or
What else could be causing this behavior?
  1569   Thu Dec 22 21:15:19 2005 Reply Edmundo T Rodriguezedrodrig@chpnet.orgRequest 2.6.0"Syntax of elogd.cfg" - Document
The document "ELOG - Syntax of elogd.cfg" is outdated!

Are we going to have an updated documented?

How much difference exists between the one posted as a reference
and new one covering all new options in ELOG?
ELOG V3.1.5-fe60aaf