Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 229 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Emailup Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  67013   Mon Feb 7 17:26:26 2011 Reply T. Ribbrockemgaron+elog@ribbrock.orgBug reportOther2.9.0-2384Re: Odd bug with conditional and required attributes

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Your problem is the "?" in the attribute Public?.  Attributes may only contain ordinary characters. Unfortunately I did not document this so far. Therefore I put some fix in SVN revision 2387 which allows your attribute Public?, but I'm not 100% sure if this works in all places. The safest is just to remove the question mark.

Thanks Stefan, I'll try that. It's strange, though: At work, we're running 2.7.6 (and have used older versions in the past) and we have several logbooks with each at least one or two attributes with '?' and never had a problem with conditionals. Hence my surprise when this suddenly hit me with 2.8.1+ at home. Removing the '?' would be quite some work, as I'd have to change all logbooks and the associated data (the latter could probably be done with "rpl", I hope). I'll think about it.

685   Tue Sep 7 13:05:49 2004 Warning T. Ribbrockemgaron@gmx.netBug fixLinux2.5.4Re: text display of ascii files not a good idea
[...]
> Probably it is fine to display only files ending in '.txt' per default.
> In addition a file that has more than say 1000 lines should probably 
> also not be displayed (as default, optional OK).  

No, '.txt' would definitely not be enough for me. I'm using elog to log all
administration of our network. In many cases, I simply attach a configuration
file. All those files are plain ASCII and none of them end in '.txt' - and I
would most definitely like them to be displayed inline like they are now. In
fact, this change was the main reason for me to upgrade to 2.5.4

Maybe a configuration option or a "display attachment" button would be the
best solution, then?

Cheerio,

Thomas
  980   Wed Mar 9 10:17:51 2005 Question T. Ribbrockemgaron@gmx.net   Trying to get "Format <attribute>" to work

I am currently trying to get some attributes into one line in my logbook, with some others on a line of their own (this is on the single message page) - pretty much like in this forum.
I searched through the forum and the config examples and found elog:571 as well as elog:Config+Examples/4, but I cannot get it to work.

In the forum, the "Subject:" line is on its own line and fills the whole line, which is what I want. In my logbook, the equivalent attribute does stand on its own line, but the 'value' only fills the space of the second column (i.e., if it was in this forum, the 'value' of "Subject" would be the same width as the icon above it and the rest of the line just blank).
As far as I can see, I'm using the "Format <attribute>=1" statements in the same way as in the example - and when I compare the resulting HTML, it also looks the same. I did notice, however, that you use different CSS classes for "Subject" and its value. Hence my question: To get "Subject" and its value to stretch over the full line, is there some fancy CSS footwork involved? I was not able to find the CSS file for this forum among the configuration examples - maybe you could add it?

Thanks in advance!

1572   Wed Jan 4 12:05:21 2006 Question T. Ribbrockemgaron@gmx.netQuestionLinux2.6.0MS Fonts only in ELCode options?
I'm just after installing 2.6.0 and marvelling at all the changes, especially ELCode (I was using 2.5.8 previously). However, I noticed that the "FONT" menu for ELCodes only offers Microsoft fonts Astonished - something I usually avoid like hell when publishing web content, as I cannot rely on those being installed on the clients. As far as I can see there is no easy way to change this, short of patching the source - or is there?
I'd want to add at least options like "serif" and "sans-serif" and maybe some standard (Unix\?) fonts like "Helvetica".
  1573   Wed Jan 4 12:26:31 2006 Question T. Ribbrockemgaron@gmx.netQuestionLinux2.6.0HelpELCode needs to be present in "Menu commands"?
Another little issue I came across was this: I'm using "Menu commands" and "Guest Menu commands" in my configuration. When I logged in and started to create a new entry, clicking on the URL that is behind "ELCode" at the bottom of the screen (and accesses the help for the ELCodes) resulted in a "command denied". The only way to get around this was to add "HelpELCode" to "Menu commands" - but now it also shows up in the menus, which is not what I want. Is there any way around this?
  1580   Tue Jan 10 10:42:18 2006 Reply T. Ribbrockemgaron@gmx.netQuestionLinux2.6.0Re: MS Fonts only in ELCode options?

Stefan Ritt wrote:

In revision 1593 I implemented a "Fonts = ..." option where you can specify a list of fonts to be shown on the list. I tried however the MS set of fonts on a Linux system, and found that the MS fonts got mapped to Unix fonts in a reasonable way. Even the Comic Sans MS font was avalilable.

Very nice, thanks! Yes, vou're right, MS fonts have a chance of working on newer Linux distributions, but not on all and there are still older ones out there - never mind all those folks sitting behind some kind of Solaris/Sparc box or similar... Big grin
  1624   Tue Jan 24 14:43:19 2006 Idea T. Ribbrockemgaron@gmx.netRequestLinux2.6.1Suggestion additional ElCodes
I have to say, now that I'm finally on 2.6.x, I grew really fond of the ElCode stuff - great addition! It saves a lot of straight HTML typing for me... THANKS!

However, there are two things I'm missing:
  • Headings
    It would be great to have a range of

, ... tags that map directly to their HTML counterparts (and have buttons, of course... Big grin ). That makes structuring an entry much easier in my opinion (and the output is easier to deal with for tools like html2ps) and I'm really missing those.
  • Tables
    This one is probably more difficult to add, but support for simple tables would be enough. But this is more a "nice to have"...
  1630   Wed Jan 25 12:31:14 2006 Reply T. Ribbrockemgaron@gmx.netRequestLinux2.6.1Re: Suggestion additional ElCodes

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Yes, I missed tables myself already. The headings I just put into the current SVN version (see this forum for how it works).

Very nice, thanks! I'm a bit torn as to whether I like the way I have to enter the level by keyboard or whether I'd rather see something like with the smileys (i.e. some "level menu" opens once "H" is pressed). The former is faster, while the latter doesn't require moving between the mouse and the keyboard. But that's just a detail - not really that important.

Stefan Ritt wrote:
Tables are a bit harder to implement and will come later. Do you have a proposal for a possible syntax?
[...]
Maybe somehting like

heading 1 heading 2 heading 3
data 1 data 2 data 3

this looks a bit like the "pipe" mode from a Wiki

what do you think?

Yup, I remember using that kind of "pipe" structure in Wikis and I actually liked it. I think it's a lot easier to read in the "source" as well - and it reminds me remotely of LaTeX... Wink Also, it doesn't require much to just type it out instead of using buttons to make the cells. Definitely good enough for the simple type of tables I had in mind!
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886