Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 230 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Authordown Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  2057   Thu Nov 9 21:03:03 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.2-1699Re: ELCode

Alexandre Lindote wrote:

Alexandre Lindote wrote:
Hi,

can you think of any obvious reason why the ELCode would not work in the logbooks I set up?

Ok, I think I found the problem... For some reason the elcode.js file was only in /usr/local/elog/scripts, but it was supposed to be in
/usr/local/elog/themes/default/ as well.
Creating a symlink between the two solved that problem. I can now do most things with the ELCode, but inserting images is still failing. I get this message from the firefox javascript console:

text.value has no properties (line 32 of elcode.js)

Any thoughts?

Alex

That's really strange. In the forum (http://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum), I have the elcode.js only in /usr/local/elog/scripts, and it works as you can try out yourself. Getting your javascript error might indicate that you have an old version of elcode.js combined with a newer executable of elogd. Try to update it.
  2058   Thu Nov 9 21:22:27 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestion  Re: Problem with large entry size

Dimitrios Tsirigkas wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:
What about a threshold for the "All" display? If a logbook contains less than, let's say, 500 entries, the "All" link is displayed, and above 500 entries it's hidden. Would that make sense?

Hi Stefan,
Sorry for the late response, I was away for a few days. Yes, I think that this would make perfect sense, especially if the maximum number of entries was configurable.
Cheers,
Dimitris

Agree. So I implemented the new config option All display limit. The default is 500. So you can see that at this forum, the All link is not shown any more, since the logbook contains more than 500 entries. The promised performance improvement of the page display will take me some more time, but I will not forget it.
  2059   Thu Nov 9 22:08:10 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.6.1Re: add field type to automatically email CC

Mark Bergman wrote:
I've got logbooks where I'm submitting entries on behalf of other users, or where other people should be notified of the ticket. This isn't a fixed list of people, and shouldn't be hard-coded into a config file. I've got a field to enter the user's e-mail address, but there's no action associated with that data.

I'd like to see a new field type that allows the entry of e-mail addresses, where each addresses supplied with the logfile entry would be automatically "CC'ed" in the notification e-mail. Ideally, people on the CC list would be (optionally) CC'ed when there are replies or edits to the original elog entry.

For example (snippet of fictional elogd.cfg):

-------------------------------
[web site]
Welcome Title = Issues regarding the web site
MOptions Category = Add links, Change content, Broken Link, Other
CCMailTo = Notification List
Attributes = Author, Category, Severity, Subject, Entry ID, Status, User, Login
Extendable Attributes = Category, Severity, Subject, Status, User, Login, Notification List
Required Attributes = Category, Subject, Status, User
-------------------------------

Just do the following:
Attributes = Author, Category, Notification list
Email all = $Notification list

Whenever you enter a new entry, you put a list of email addresses into the Notification list, which is then used for sending email addresses. This list also stays there in replies or edits.
  2060   Thu Nov 9 22:40:06 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.6.1Re: suggestion for "new user registration" page

Mark Bergman wrote:
Suggestions for improving the registration page:

Put a "submit" button after the password entry.

Possibly supress the local "bottom text", or allow the specification of a different file for the registration page.

After the user has registered, then show a page allowing them to subscribe for e-mail notifcation. That page should be organized the same way as the main page, with groups. Users should be allowed to subscribe to entire groups, or to expand each group to select or unsubscribe from individual logbooks.

Thanks,

Mark

I put the "save" button below the password entry and removed the "bottom text", I hope this helps a bit.
  2061   Thu Nov 9 22:53:27 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.1-1622Re: Email notification (bug tracking system)

Bertram Metz wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to use ELOG like a bug tracking system. I've created an attribute with the name AssignedTo. The attribute type is set to userlist. The value of AssignedTo is set to the full name of the selected user. There is no simple relationship between the full name and the email address on our system. Is it possible to get the email address of a user from the full name?

Attributes = Author, Category, Hardware, Software, Subject, Keywords, Status, AssignedTo
Options Category = Bug Report{1}, Observation{2}, Other{3}
Type AssignedTo = userlist
Show Attributes = Author, Category, Hardware, Software, Subject, Keywords
{1} Show Attributes = Author, Category, Hardware, Software, Subject, Keywords, Status, AssignedTo
Required Attributes = Author, Hardware, Software, Category
Options Status = new, open, confirmed, closed
;the following line does not work, since $AssinedTo contains the full name of the user
Email Category Bug Report = $AssignedTo@company.com

Kind regards,
Bertram

I implemented the attribute type useremail for you. This can be used like:
Attributes = Author, Catorory, AssignedTo
Type AssignedTo = useremail
Email Category Bug Report = $AssignedTo

You will see only the email address of the people in the list, but since the email address usually contains the name this might be enough. A different system would have been too difficult to implement. The new feature is contained in SVN revision 1754.
  2062   Thu Nov 9 22:57:38 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestOther2.6.2-1739Re: Option to require new user registration to subscribe to ALL logbooks

Steve Jones wrote:
Stefan, any chance of having an option that eliminates the ability of new users to pick the logbooks they can register with? I would like to limit this to the "admin" user to pick per individual.

The logbook list new users can register with is exactly the list the users have access to. So if you omit a logbook there, they can later just go to that logbook, hit config, and add themselves. If you want to prevent a user from getting notifications from a logbook, prevent user access to that logbook, like a new top group.

Steve Jones wrote:
Also, any thoughts to adding a management panel that will the admin user to make global changes to the password file? I do this by bringing it into a text editor and making changes, but it would be nice to do it from the application.

Not at the moment. It would take days of work which I don't have right now. Much more than what it takes you editing the password file in an editor Wink
  2063   Thu Nov 9 23:04:32 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.1Re: Is it possible to require certain attributes for specific users (guests)?
> First of all, thanks for writing and maintaining eLog.
> 
> I've been using it for a few years, but I'm now introducing it in an environment that may have a lot of "Guest"
> accounts.
> 
> I'd like to have two "Required Attributes" when a guest enters a new entry; their name and e-mail address. These
> fields don't need to be required for registered accounts, since that information is available already.
> 
> Is there any way to have conditional statements act on the value of $short_name?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Mark

Actually there is one possibility:

Preset Author = $long_name
Required Attributes = Author

This will force the author to be supplied. If one is logged in, the login name will be put into the author field. If
there is guest access, the field will contain "anonymous", so hopefully each guest will change that to the real name...
  2064   Thu Nov 9 23:10:08 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.1-1684Re: How can I configure to prevent empty entries?

Alan Stone wrote:
I have accidentally created a couple of entries recently. It is pretty easy. I
fill in the header, type in a Subject, and then hit Enter, instead of TAB.
I have turned off the edit option intentionally.

I want to avoid this in the future. Is there a configuration option which would
confirm that the user before submitting an entry without a Body? I know I can require
attributes like Author and Subject. I am not sure I want to require a Body, in case
someone submits an entry with just an attachment (and a Subject).

Thanks, Alan

Actually the submit/edit behavior is controlled by your browser, not by elog. I do not know any mean of how the HTML code could control this independently of the browser. So you have to get used to it Wink
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886