Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 230 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OS ELOG Versionup Subject
  1828   Wed May 10 16:55:28 2006 Reply Kevin McCartykmccarty@princeton.eduQuestionLinux2.6.1Re: Email notification question

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Kevin McCarty wrote:
Hello,

I've just set up an ELog server for my research group. (Running on Debian, package version 2.6.1+r1642-1)

I have a question about the email notifications. I read through the config file documentation, but couldn't find the answer (maybe I am just unobservant\?) Is it possible to have the email notifications contain only the title of the log entry (as well as the usual attributes), but not the full text or any attachments? I have users who are worried about their email going over quota from ELog's emails, but who nevertheless would like some kind of notification when new log entries are posted.

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at the option Email format = <n>

Ah, thank you! Somehow I overlooked that. My apologies, and thanks for your very fast response.
  1836   Wed May 24 08:22:36 2006 Smile Ed Toeto@arc.nasa.govQuestionWindows2.6.1Display legal banner
Hi,

I read somewhere that javascript is supported with elog. For legal reasons, I have to post a legal banner before the login prompt. Can you tell me how to do this? I'm not a programmer, but I guess I could use the javascript alert command to do this. What file would I need to change?

Thank you for your help.

Ed.
  1837   Wed May 24 09:00:34 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows2.6.1Re: Display legal banner

Ed To wrote:
I read somewhere that javascript is supported with elog. For legal reasons, I have to post a legal banner before the login prompt. Can you tell me how to do this? I'm not a programmer, but I guess I could use the javascript alert command to do this. What file would I need to change?

Unfortunately it was not possible to do that for the login page, so I had to add a new option Bottom text login which I implemented just now. You can now indeed use the alert command to do what you want, like

in elog.cfg:
Bottom text login = alert.html

and in alert.html:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
  alert("Hello world");
//-->
</script>

or whatever legal statement you have to make.

The new version can be downloaded as elog261-5.exe from the home page.
  1838   Wed May 24 18:09:51 2006 Reply Ed Toeto@arc.nasa.govQuestionWindows2.6.1Re: Display legal banner

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Ed To wrote:

Unfortunately it was not possible to do that for the login page, so I had to add a new option Bottom text login which I implemented just now. You can now indeed use the alert command to do what you want, like

in elog.cfg:
Bottom text login = alert.html

and in alert.html:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
  alert("Hello world");
//-->
</script>

or whatever legal statement you have to make.

The new version can be downloaded as elog261-5.exe from the home page.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that quick of a response. Thanks Stefan. BTW, I really like elog. It's simple to setup and use. Keep up the good work.
  1839   Thu May 25 02:28:27 2006 Agree Ed Toeto@arc.nasa.govQuestionWindows2.6.1Re: Display legal banner
Stefan,

Thanks again. I got it to display my legal banner.
  1840   Thu May 25 19:41:51 2006 Idea Mark Bergmanmark.bergman@uphs.upenn.eduRequestLinux2.6.1add field type to automatically email CC
I've got logbooks where I'm submitting entries on behalf of other users, or where other people should be notified of the ticket. This isn't a fixed list of people, and shouldn't be hard-coded into a config file. I've got a field to enter the user's e-mail address, but there's no action associated with that data.

I'd like to see a new field type that allows the entry of e-mail addresses, where each addresses supplied with the logfile entry would be automatically "CC'ed" in the notification e-mail. Ideally, people on the CC list would be (optionally) CC'ed when there are replies or edits to the original elog entry.

For example (snippet of fictional elogd.cfg):

-------------------------------
[web site]
Welcome Title = Issues regarding the web site
MOptions Category = Add links, Change content, Broken Link, Other
CCMailTo = Notification List
Attributes = Author, Category, Severity, Subject, Entry ID, Status, User, Login
Extendable Attributes = Category, Severity, Subject, Status, User, Login, Notification List
Required Attributes = Category, Subject, Status, User
-------------------------------
  1850   Wed Jun 21 22:11:15 2006 Entry Gerald Ebberinkg.h.p.ebberink@nclr.nlQuestionLinux2.6.1restrict access
Dear all,

I am trying to get elog used in our company but I need some help.
I have two small questions:

-1- how can I restrict the access 
of a certain user such that he can only see certain logbooks. 
But also not showing the other logbooks on the selection page.
So we could have a tree like this:

Stage one
|
|->Stage 2
       |
       |
      / \
     |   |
    Co1 Co2
    /     \
  job     job

So when Co1 logs in the should not be able to see Co2 and the attached job

-2- How can I have a login page instead of the logbook selection page.
When I insert the password statement the config, I get a blank page.
  1851   Thu Jun 22 08:04:13 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.1Re: restrict access
> -1- how can I restrict the access 
> of a certain user such that he can only see certain logbooks. 

This can be achieved with the "Login user = ..." option.

> But also not showing the other logbooks on the selection page.

You could try to use "top groups". This gives you "separate" groups of logbooks, so you could make a public tree
seen by everybody and private trees only seen by a few people. Please read the documentation for details.

> -2- How can I have a login page instead of the logbook selection page.
> When I insert the password statement the config, I get a blank page.

You get a login page instead of the selection page if the "Password file = " statement is in the [global] section
and "Protect selection page = 1". You might have to delete all cookies in your browser if you move the password
file statement between the [global] and the logbook sections, because otherwise the old cookies might prevent you
from logging out.
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886