Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 715 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Authorup Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  66170   Mon Jan 26 18:52:56 2009 Question Topher Congdontopher@congdongroup.comQuestionWindows2.7.5-2168more fun with SMTP and authentication....
Great software.

Okay, so I've done my reading through the forum and got a couple of nuggets along the way but I am still unable
to get the e-mail function to work.  I am using Windows IIS to make an SMTP virtual server to shimmy around the
IT firewall.  That appears to work as I can see the response from the external SMTP server while running elogd
with the -v flag.  The elogd -v details are below:  

Email from xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx.com to xxxxxx.XXXXXXX@XXXXX.com,XXXXX.XXXXX X@XXXXX.com, SMTP host
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXX.XXXXX.com: 
220 smtp.xxxxx.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.2600.2180 ready at   Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:56:35 -0500 
EHLO xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxx.xxxxx.com 
250-smtp.xxxxx.com Hello [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] 
250-AUTH=LOGIN 
250-AUTH LOGIN 
250-SIZE 2097152 
250-PIPELINING 
250-DSN 
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 
250-8bitmime 250-BINARYMIME 
250-CHUNKING 250-VRFY 
250 OK AUTH LOGIN 
Username: 
xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx.com 
Password: cm9jaGVsb2dib29r 
535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful 
==== Return ================================  

From the SMTP server response it is not logging in, but I don't know why.  I can log in to the webmail app with
the username/password provided to ELOG, but it doesn't appear to work through ELOG. The SMTP provider includes
the following info to setup e-mail accounts via SMTP: "Please note: To send e-mail using the SMTP-Server,
activate SMTP Authentication. Please do not use the Secure Password Authentication (SPA) option. Optionally,
port 587 can also be used in addition to the default port (25) RFC 2476." 

For authentication via the Windows IIS I have "basic authentication" with no TLS encryption required - I'm not
sure if that meets the provider's "SMTP authentication" requirement.  When I was using the previous version of
ELOG (sorry, I did not note the version number) the username was encrypted along with the password.  With the
2168 build, the password is still encrypted but the usernamer is not; should the password be in "plain text" as
well?  

I can provide you with a username/password for the SMTP provider I'm using if that will help.  Please send me a
separate e-mail and I will reply with the information.  

Thank you,  

Topher Congdon
  502   Mon Mar 8 16:55:21 2004 Question Torsten Hinschehinsche@computer-systeme.deQuestion 2.5.1Elog as a service
Is there any possibility to start elogd as a service under NT/2000/XP 
having local service as its user? Yes, I've read the documentation. Maybe 
things have changed.
/Torsten/
  68062   Fri Jul 31 13:59:12 2015 Entry TorstenJtorsten.jakob@jet-services.comQuestionWindows v3.1.0.3Problem with elog and Internet Explorer when saving an entry

Hi all,

first off all let me say, that I realy like this great tool. That is a lot of help for keeping our server documentation up-to-date. Thanks to all contributors for that.

I right here, because I actually have an issue with saving entries working with IE11 (but also in IE9). When ever I enter an entry, and click the save button, the page open a page with the text: "OK 1"   or the second attemp: "OK 2"   3rd  "OK 3" and so on (see screenshot). To get back to my Item list, I have to click the back button in the internet explorer. I also opens a lot of draft entries in my databases.  When I submit my entry, I don't have an issue, and the entry is saved correctly.

This issue doesn't happen when using Google Chrome.

Had anyone an simlar issue using elog with IE?  It would be great to have some help with that issue.

Thanks

Torsten

Attachment 1: elog_picture.jpg
elog_picture.jpg
  68076   Mon Aug 10 12:02:27 2015 Reply TorstenJtorsten.jakob@jet-services.comQuestionWindows v3.1.0.3Re: Problem with elog and Internet Explorer when saving an entry

Hello Stefan,

thanks for you reply. I tried an ujpdate today to my old installation, but also after cleaning the IE cache, the problem consists. The same result is, when doing a clean new installation, with the default elog.cfg and and cleaned cache as well an IE that was reseted to defaults.  

I am running version v3.1.1 3f311c5 now.      Do you maybe have another idea, to fix that issue.

Thanks

Torsten

Stefan Ritt wrote:

This issue should have been fixed in the new version 3.1.1. If the problem still persists, try to clear your browser's cache, since it might still have cached the old JavaScript files having this bug.

TorstenJ wrote:

Hi all,

first off all let me say, that I realy like this great tool. That is a lot of help for keeping our server documentation up-to-date. Thanks to all contributors for that.

I right here, because I actually have an issue with saving entries working with IE11 (but also in IE9). When ever I enter an entry, and click the save button, the page open a page with the text: "OK 1"   or the second attemp: "OK 2"   3rd  "OK 3" and so on (see screenshot). To get back to my Item list, I have to click the back button in the internet explorer. I also opens a lot of draft entries in my databases.  When I submit my entry, I don't have an issue, and the entry is saved correctly.

This issue doesn't happen when using Google Chrome.

Had anyone an simlar issue using elog with IE?  It would be great to have some help with that issue.

Thanks

Torsten

68652   Fri Aug 18 01:02:41 2017 Reply Travis Unkeltravisunkel@gmail.comBug reportLinux3.1.3Re: Path disclosure on unfound file

I am having the same issue. If you go to midas.psi.ch/elogs/12345.htm you get the path disclosure issue.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

What URL did you use? If I try here on this forum I get:

which looks fine to me.

Bruce Bush wrote:

Greetings,

Running elog 3.1.0 on CentOS 6.6.  When I try to access a nonexistent file, elog reveals a path in the 404 page.  For example:

Not Found

The requested file /usr/local/elog/themes/default/blortblortblort7854.htm was not found on this server

ELOG version 3.1.0

Is there any way to use a custom 404 page with elog, or to make it stop displaying the file information?

Thank you,
bb

69669   Tue May 9 17:24:37 2023 Question Trevor Moorerogue_boy1@gmail.comQuestionWindowsV3.1.5-fc6679bQuick Filter "New Entries" Button

Hello,

I would like to utilize the "New Entries" button on the quick filter bar, but it dates back to 1969.  Is there a way to customize this or fix it?

66300   Sun Apr 12 21:24:23 2009 Reply Tsuguo Aramakita2159@columbia.eduQuestionMac OSX2.7.5-2172Re: images in elog in safari
Stefan Ritt wrote:

David Jaffe wrote:

i cannot view images in elog, either as attachments or as icons,

safari 3.2.1 mac os x 10.5.6

Thank you

David

Can you give me some more information? Can you see attachments in the Demo Logbook like here ? What about other browsers? Can you try to start elogd without keep-alives (using the "-k" flag)?

Hi. I have a same problem... It works well with other browsers, like firefox and internet explorer, but not with safari (with and without keep-alives). 

The demo logbook in the link works fine with safari, though. 

Thanks.

Tsuguo

66724   Wed Feb 24 15:54:40 2010 Question Ulf Helmerssonulfhe@ifm.liu.seBug reportOtherV2.7.8-227Show Attributes

This programing have stoped working, I guess after last update.

Elog is running on Solaris.

Ulf Helmersson

Options Type = Journal Article{1}, Proceeding Article{2}, Book chapter{3}, Book{4}, Patent{5}

{1} Show Attributes = Type, Logged by, Key words, File, File path, Authors, Title, Abbrivated journal name, Volume, First page, Year, Elsevier format, AIP/APS format, IOP format

{2} Show Attributes = Type, Logged by, Key words, File, File path, Authors, Title, Conference name, Place, Country, First page, Year, Month.Days, Volume, Elsevier format Proceeding

{3} Show Attributes = Type, Logged by, Key words, File, File path, Authors, Title, Book Title, Editors, Publisher, Place, First page, Year, Elsevier format Book chapter

{4} Show Attributes = Type, Logged by, Key words, File, File path, Authors, Title, Publisher, Place, First page, Year, Elsevier format Book, IOP format Book

{5} Show Attributes = Type, Logged by, Key words, File, File path, Authors, Title, Patent number, Year, First page, Elsevier format Patent

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886