Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 726 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OSup ELOG Version Subject
  68195   Fri Nov 20 11:06:24 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionWindows3.1.1Re: log entries after a certain date not displayed - 3.1.1
Hi Mike,
I don't think that it is a good idea to have two elogd servers accessing the same files: that's what you are doing with the Dropbox folder, isn't it? ELOG is not made to be used like that.
If you want to share the same entries in different logbooks, then you should use the "mirror server" functionality in ELOG. Have a look at: https://midas.psi.ch/elog/config.html#mirroring
Cheers, Andreas
Mike Giles wrote:

Hi,

I'm having an issue with Elog 3.1.1 on windows 10 not displaying all log entries (after a certain date) in a logbook directory.

The logbook is saved in a Dropbox folder and the entries were created on a windows 8.1 PC with 3.1.1 also.

I created an entry in windows 10, this created a new log file (new day) with a duplicate ID, deleted the log file and then the windows 10 pc displayed all entries.

Is there any way to ensure Elogd picks up all log files ?

Thanks & Regards,

Mike

68196   Fri Nov 20 11:20:49 2015 Reply Paolo Franchinip.franchini@warwick.ac.ukQuestionWindows2.5.2Re: can attrinute fields contain more that one line
> > > Was just wondering about the status of the multi-line attributes in Elog, are 
> > > they implemented in elog yet? If not is that something you are planning to do 
> > > in the future?
> > 
> > In order to have multi-line attributes, the whole format of the logbooks has to be
> > changed. I plan to use XML for the logbook format in the future. We would not have
> > any more one file per day, but one big file per logbook. I have already some XML
> > functionality in elog, but this one requires a major rewrite of the whole code. On
> > the other hand, searching etc. will become much faster afterwards. I plan to start
> > this development soon, but it might take quite some time, so don't expect it
> > before summer or fall.
> > 
> > Best regards,
> > 
> >   Stefan
> 
> Thanks for your help, thats useful to know.
> 
> Paul

Hi Stefan,

any update on the multi-line request?

cheers,

Paolo
  68197   Fri Nov 20 12:40:19 2015 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows3.1.1Re: log entries after a certain date not displayed - 3.1.1

Besides the commen Andrea made I would like to add that you can convince elog to show all files if you simply restart it, then it will re-scan all files. But as Andreas said, if two elogd instances write to the same directory, you will get a mess with double IDs of entries.

Stefan

Mike Giles wrote:

Hi,

I'm having an issue with Elog 3.1.1 on windows 10 not displaying all log entries (after a certain date) in a logbook directory.

The logbook is saved in a Dropbox folder and the entries were created on a windows 8.1 PC with 3.1.1 also.

I created an entry in windows 10, this created a new log file (new day) with a duplicate ID, deleted the log file and then the windows 10 pc displayed all entries.

Thanks & Regards,

Mike

68198   Fri Nov 20 12:41:58 2015 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows2.5.2Re: can attrinute fields contain more that one line
> > > > Was just wondering about the status of the multi-line attributes in Elog, are 
> > > > they implemented in elog yet? If not is that something you are planning to do 
> > > > in the future?
> > > 
> > > In order to have multi-line attributes, the whole format of the logbooks has to be
> > > changed. I plan to use XML for the logbook format in the future. We would not have
> > > any more one file per day, but one big file per logbook. I have already some XML
> > > functionality in elog, but this one requires a major rewrite of the whole code. On
> > > the other hand, searching etc. will become much faster afterwards. I plan to start
> > > this development soon, but it might take quite some time, so don't expect it
> > > before summer or fall.
> > > 
> > > Best regards,
> > > 
> > >   Stefan
> > 
> > Thanks for your help, thats useful to know.
> > 
> > Paul
> 
> Hi Stefan,
> 
> any update on the multi-line request?

Nope. Too many other things to do during my "day job".

Stefan
  68199   Fri Nov 20 15:27:12 2015 Reply Paolo Franchinip.franchini@warwick.ac.ukQuestionWindows2.5.2Re: can attrinute fields contain more that one line
> > > > > Was just wondering about the status of the multi-line attributes in Elog, are 
> > > > > they implemented in elog yet? If not is that something you are planning to do 
> > > > > in the future?
> > > > 
> > > > In order to have multi-line attributes, the whole format of the logbooks has to be
> > > > changed. I plan to use XML for the logbook format in the future. We would not have
> > > > any more one file per day, but one big file per logbook. I have already some XML
> > > > functionality in elog, but this one requires a major rewrite of the whole code. On
> > > > the other hand, searching etc. will become much faster afterwards. I plan to start
> > > > this development soon, but it might take quite some time, so don't expect it
> > > > before summer or fall.
> > > > 
> > > > Best regards,
> > > > 
> > > >   Stefan
> > > 
> > > Thanks for your help, thats useful to know.
> > > 
> > > Paul
> > 
> > Hi Stefan,
> > 
> > any update on the multi-line request?
> 
> Nope. Too many other things to do during my "day job".
> 
> Stefan

Thank you, your eLog is already a very good instrument!
  68201   Tue Nov 24 09:18:40 2015 Reply Mike Gilesmike.giles@gmx.comQuestionWindows3.1.1Re: log entries after a certain date not displayed - 3.1.1

Thanks very much for your comments. I will take a look at the mirror server functionality.

I have only been running one elogd at a time, restarting elogd (on Windows 10) doesn't seem to pick up the changes made on Windows 8.1 PC (stopped elogd after changes made and log file updated)

Mike

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Besides the commen Andrea made I would like to add that you can convince elog to show all files if you simply restart it, then it will re-scan all files. But as Andreas said, if two elogd instances write to the same directory, you will get a mess with double IDs of entries.

Stefan

Mike Giles wrote:

Hi,

Thanks & Regards,

Mike

68202   Tue Nov 24 12:35:22 2015 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionWindows3.1.1Re: log entries after a certain date not displayed - 3.1.1

Ah, I see another problem. The pre 3.1 version had all logbook files in one directory, and the 3.1 puts the files in one subdirectoy per year. On transition from 3.0 to 3.1, an automatic conversion is made, but only once. If you later add files into the root logbook directory, they will not be seen. So you have to move them manually into the right subdirectory.

Mike Giles wrote:

Thanks very much for your comments. I will take a look at the mirror server functionality.

I have only been running one elogd at a time, restarting elogd (on Windows 10) doesn't seem to pick up the changes made on Windows 8.1 PC (stopped elogd after changes made and log file updated)

Mike

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Stefan

Mike Giles wrote:

Hi,

Thanks & Regards,

Mike

68203   Tue Nov 24 21:29:16 2015 Reply Mike Gilesmike.giles@gmx.comQuestionWindows3.1.1Re: log entries after a certain date not displayed - 3.1.1

Hi, I have noticed that if an entry is not submitted it is saved in a sub-folder (name is current ID number) eg http://localhost:8090/mike/23, while draft it doesn't appear in list page but you can browse directly to it.

When you update an entry on one server instance, if you then browse to the entry ID on the 2nd server instance it is draft. If you edit then submit the entry then appears in list page on 2nd server instance.

Thanks again.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Ah, I see another problem. The pre 3.1 version had all logbook files in one directory, and the 3.1 puts the files in one subdirectoy per year. On transition from 3.0 to 3.1, an automatic conversion is made, but only once. If you later add files into the root logbook directory, they will not be seen. So you have to move them manually into the right subdirectory.

Mike Giles wrote:

Mike

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Stefan

Mike Giles wrote:

Hi,

Thanks & Regards,

Mike

ELOG V3.1.5-fe60aaf