Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 747 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
IDup Date Icon Author Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  69379   Mon Jun 28 18:41:31 2021 Reply Xuan Wuwux@ihep.ac.cnQuestionLinux3.13Re: Drop attachments here...

I just used my own account to test the "Drag&Drop" function in this forum ,  and it failed.  In our case, we need to upload ten more images into logbook at once, it's more effective to use "Drag&Drop" than "Browse&Upload" feature for "Browse&Upload" only can choose one attachment at once, but "Drag&Drop" can choose several attachments at once. The admin user can use this feature, but non-admin user not in our site. I did run the elog server as  user "root". I'm not sure it is related to the problem.

Sebastian Schenk wrote:

I can't confirm this behavoiur. In our instance, every user can use the attachment function of the elog.
Either through "Drag&Drop" or "Browse&Upload" in the entry editor.

What do you mean by "root" user?
The elog can have serveral admin users, but this behaviour is equal for admin and non-admin users.
You should not run the elog server as user "root" of the machine for security reason, but also for issues with file permissions.

Xuan Wu wrote:

The function of "Drop attachments here..." is only for root user? I'd like it could be used by all users.

69380   Tue Jun 29 15:21:06 2021 Reply Sebastian Schenksebastian.schenk@physik.uni-halle.deQuestionLinux3.13Re: Drop attachments here...

In my testings I didn't found this behaviour, but my collegues also reported this issue.
So I searched for the difference between my test setup and the production logbooks.

I believe the "restrict edit = 1" config option may be responsible for this behaviour.
I had the browser console running in the background and "Drag&Drop" send an XHR request,
which failed with the message: "Only user can edit this entry".
This message is tied to the "restrict edit" option as far as I know.
So I tried removing the option and upload via "Drag&Drop" started to work as intended.
This behaviour only occurs for non-admin users, as admin users are not affected by

Can you verify this?
I can verify to get the same error message in this elog forum in the browser console.

Xuan Wu wrote:

I just used my own account to test the "Drag&Drop" function in this forum ,  and it failed.  In our case, we need to upload ten more images into logbook at once, it's more effective to use "Drag&Drop" than "Browse&Upload" feature for "Browse&Upload" only can choose one attachment at once, but "Drag&Drop" can choose several attachments at once. The admin user can use this feature, but non-admin user not in our site. I did run the elog server as  user "root". I'm not sure it is related to the problem.

Sebastian Schenk wrote:

I can't confirm this behavoiur. In our instance, every user can use the attachment function of the elog.

The elog can have serveral admin users, but this behaviour is equal for admin and non-admin users.
You should not run the elog server as user "root" of the machine for security reason, but also for issues with file permissions.

Xuan Wu wrote:

The function of "Drop attachments here..." is only for root user? I'd like it could be used by all users.

69381   Tue Jun 29 20:13:36 2021 Reply Sebastian Schenksebastian.schenk@physik.uni-halle.deQuestionLinux3.13Re: Drop attachments here...

I could figure out the bug. A fix can be found in this commit.
https://bitbucket.org/merrx/elog/commits/c3e3c4af9666006558aaf26d8f4841800e69f9af

Sebastian Schenk wrote:

In my testings I didn't found this behaviour, but my collegues also reported this issue.
So I searched for the difference between my test setup and the production logbooks.

I believe the "restrict edit = 1" config option may be responsible for this behaviour.
I had the browser console running in the background and "Drag&Drop" send an XHR request,
So I tried removing the option and upload via "Drag&Drop" started to work as intended.
This behaviour only occurs for non-admin users, as admin users are not affected by

Can you verify this?
I can verify to get the same error message in this elog forum in the browser console.

Xuan Wu wrote:

Sebastian Schenk wrote:

Xuan Wu wrote:

69382   Tue Jun 29 20:20:38 2021 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux3.13Re: Drop attachments here...

Looks good, I merged the pull request.

69383   Wed Jun 30 04:38:21 2021 Reply Xuan Wuwux@ihep.ac.cnQuestionLinux3.13Re: Drop attachments here...

Excellent, Thanks!

Sebastian Schenk wrote:

I could figure out the bug. A fix can be found in this commit.
https://bitbucket.org/merrx/elog/commits/c3e3c4af9666006558aaf26d8f4841800e69f9af

Sebastian Schenk wrote:

Can you verify this?

Xuan Wu wrote:

Sebastian Schenk wrote:

Xuan Wu wrote:

69384   Wed Jun 30 13:50:08 2021 Reply Sebastian Schenksebastian.schenk@physik.uni-halle.deQuestionLinux3.13Re: Drop attachments here...

Thanks for the merge.
I found a more general solution, as there could be the posibility to have the author as "select" or "radio box" input in the form, where the fix breaks.
But I think in most of the cases the author is a preset input, if used with "restrict edit = 1", so the merged fix should be fine.
https://bitbucket.org/merrx/elog/commits/7aacfbcac43b1192e5271fa7b2c80f4825c94d23

Today we ran into this issue again, but this time the curpit was encoding...
The author name in the password file was differently encoded as the author name from the xhr request.
For this instance there was a umlaut in the name.

I haven't got a good solution for this at the moment.
The workaround is to check the encording in the password file and make it matching.
But as for automated logins / user generation e.g. via LDAP (in our case) one should be aware of this issue.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Looks good, I merged the pull request.

69385   Mon Jul 19 18:41:29 2021 Question Janusz Szubajanusz.szuba@xfel.euQuestionLinux3.1.4Deny option and Guest commands

Hi, 

I have a logbook with guest access and guest can also enter a new entry (in config: Guest List Menu commands = New, Find, Select, Login). For other reason in a global section, I put 

Deny New = account1, account2

This somehow invalidates Guest List Menu commands, since as guest I don't see New button anymore. Is this behaviour desired? Otherwise, I would need to move Deny option to plenty of individual logbook configs. Just to explain the reason, those accounts are set up to only read entries and not to create new ones. Or maybe you can suggest a different solution?

Best

69386   Wed Jul 21 16:16:29 2021 Question Alan Grantagrant@winnipeg.caQuestionWindows3.1.4Logging Main page entries, each with multiple ongoing events

Is there any way to log child events on the detail pages for a fixed number of entries on the main page? For example, I have 15 vehicles to enter on the main page, ID'd by Vehicle Number. Within each of those entries I will be logging ongoing repair service entries with certain attributes.

So how might I design this concept without having repeating vehicle entries on the main page for every service event, and preferably without splitting the information between two linked logbook tabs?

ELOG V3.1.5-fe60aaf