Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 748 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Authordown Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  68248   Fri Jan 29 06:35:05 2016 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionWindowsLatestRe: Can I host elog in the web under windows platform without Apache Web Server?
Can't help you with that, and I think it is the wrong forum to ask that question.
You'll need a web service provider that will allow you to run your own services.
And then it'll either require some skills in host administration or a full host service by the provider.
Cheers, Andreas
Dawang wrote:

Thanks Andreas and Stefan,

Since I'm not good in setting up webserver, do you know a web hosting company that can I use to integrate elog so that i can access my elog publicly same as you are using here? Thanks.

BR,

Raymund

Andreas Luedeke wrote:
I admit that I'm not sure if I understood the question. It is quite some work to do the opposite, to run elog behind an Apache Web Server.
But if you just install ELOG out of the box it will always run without an Apache Web Server. You don't need to add anything in the config file for that.
Dawang wrote:

Hi All,

Can I host elog in the web (internet) under windows platform (elogd.exe only) without Apache Web Server? If possible, what syntax should I add in the configuration file? Appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Cheers,

Raymund

68251   Thu Feb 4 15:07:07 2016 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionWindowsV3.1.1-0767eb0Re: Applying cell style or some sort of subst in list view only
> Good day,
> 
> I have an attribute that is 25 chars. it can be empty until someone edit it to fill the information.
> The default view for that logbook is List. 
> 
> Is it possible to display that attribute in list view but not the entire 25 chars ?
> What I mean is that if the field is empty, show it as empty but if it has some information, show something like "X" in List view.
> 
> I tried playing with Styles and Cell Styles but I couldn't figure it out...
> Cell Style seams to require specific values "" to apply the style properties. I can't figure how to apply cell style "if field is not empty" :)
> 
> Thanks for your help :)

If your server would run on Linux, then the configuration below would just do what you've asked for:

Attributes = X
List change X = $shell(if [ -z "$X" ] ;then echo "";else echo "X";fi)

But since shell scripting is operating system dependent, you'll need to figure out yourself how to do it in Windows.

Cheers
Andreas
  68253   Mon Feb 8 15:07:05 2016 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionMac OSXelog-3.1.0Re: New entry cannot be written to directory "/usr/local/elog/logbooks/demo/"

You should check if the directory /usr/local/elog/logbooks/demo belongs to the right user and has the right write permissions.

Since the elogd process belongs to the user "nobody", the directory should best belong to "nobody" as well (or - not recommended - allows write access for "others")

Cheers, Andreas

Tapasi Ghosh wrote:

Dear All,

I could not submit a new enetry to my logbook whenever restarting my laptop.  I am a new user to elog.

Attached is the screenshot of the error message and also there is "nobody" while I grep elog.

----------------------

>>

Tapasis-MacBook-Pro-2:elog-3.1.0 tapasi$  ps aux | grep elog

tapasi            560   0.4  0.0  2432772    644 s002  S+    9:50AM   0:00.01 grep elog

nobody             76   0.0  0.4  2481308  18440   ??  Ss    9:48AM   0:00.08 /usr/local/sbin/elogd -c /usr/local/elog/elogd.cfg

--------------------------

Any suggesstion will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tapasi

68255   Mon Feb 8 16:27:45 2016 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionMac OSXelog-3.1.0Re: New entry cannot be written to directory "/usr/local/elog/logbooks/demo/"

The process elogd runs as the user "nobody". This user obviously cannot write to /usr/local/elog/logbooks/demo.

But apparently you've created the wrong directory anyway: you've listed /usr/local/elog/demo, but ELOG looks for /usr/local/elog/logbooks/demo.

Cheers, Andreas

Tapasi Ghosh wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I am the user and  it also has the write access 

cd /usr/local/elog/

ls -ltr

drwxrwxrwx  6 tapasi  admin  204 Jan  7 18:26 demo

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

You should check if the directory /usr/local/elog/logbooks/demo belongs to the right user and has the right write permissions.

Since the elogd process belongs to the user "nobody", the directory should best belong to "nobody" as well (or - not recommended - allows write access for "others")

Cheers, Andreas

Tapasi Ghosh wrote:

Dear All,

I could not submit a new enetry to my logbook whenever restarting my laptop.  I am a new user to elog.

Attached is the screenshot of the error message and also there is "nobody" while I grep elog.

----------------------

>>

Tapasis-MacBook-Pro-2:elog-3.1.0 tapasi$  ps aux | grep elog

tapasi            560   0.4  0.0  2432772    644 s002  S+    9:50AM   0:00.01 grep elog

nobody             76   0.0  0.4  2481308  18440   ??  Ss    9:48AM   0:00.08 /usr/local/sbin/elogd -c /usr/local/elog/elogd.cfg

--------------------------

Any suggesstion will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tapasi

68262   Wed Feb 17 18:08:53 2016 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chInfoAllELOG V3.1.1-3f3Re: Find empty attributes
It is possible for normal string attributes: the regular expression pattern "^$" can be used to search for an empty string.
E.g. in this Forum "ELOG Version" is a required attribute, and should never be empty. But if you search for:
you'll find a couple of entries from a time where it apparently wasn't a required attribute.
Cheers
Andreas
Arno Teunisse wrote:

Want to use the find function from ELOG to search for empty fields ( Attributes that are not defined ) 
How to do that ? 
Could not find it in the Forum.

Greetings Arno Teunisse

68272   Sun Feb 28 18:24:58 2016 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chBug reportLinux3.1.1Re: Execute new|edit doesn't seem to work

Juergen Diefenbach wrote:
I am trying to use the "Execute new|edit|delete" feature to track changes to an elog using git.
[...]
However, I experienced unreproducible behavior when creating "new" entries. Sometimes the command specified by "Execute new=" is called, sometimes the one specified by "Execute edit=" is executed. Most of the time it doesn't work as expected. Frown
[...]
Do you have an idea how to fix this or can you point me in some direction to further track it down? Thank you!

I'm just guessing, but you could try to disable the "save drafts" feature and see if the behaviour changes:
Save drafts = 0

If that is the case then Stefan will know where to look Wink

Cheers
Andreas
  68275   Thu Mar 3 14:51:55 2016 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionWindows2.9.2Re: Attribute Field Size Limited to 255 Characters

No. At least there is no simple method.

You would need to edit the source code and recompile elogd. But the number 256 is used for about 300 times in the source code, you'll have a hard time finding the right one to increase.

Cheers, Andreas

Mike Bodine wrote:

I currently have an Attribute defined in my .cfg file as  "Format <Attribute> = 0, attribname, attribvalue, 120, 500". I've found if I exceed 255 characters elogd.exe fails. Is there a method that will allow me to exceed 255 characters?

68277   Tue Mar 8 14:12:26 2016 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chBug reportLinux3.1.1Re: Execute new|edit doesn't seem to work

Juergen Diefenbach wrote:

Andreas Luedeke wrote:
I'm just guessing, but you could try to disable the "save drafts" feature and see if the behaviour changes:
Save drafts = 0

If that is the case then Stefan will know where to look Wink

Cheers
Andreas

Alright, I tried "Save drafts = 0" in the config file and now it seems to work all the time as expected!
Thank you, Andreas!

In principle I could live with this as I don't think I need to have drafts enabled.

Cheers,
Jürgen

I would speculate that "Execute new" is not executed, when a draft is saved (as one would expect, since it's only a draft), but is neither executed when a draft is submitted (not as one would expect).
Good that you're fine for the moment.
If you could add a minimal configuration to reproduce the problem, then Stefan would have it easier to debug it.
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886