Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 775 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
New entries since:Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 1970
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OSdown ELOG Version Subject
  1564   Thu Dec 22 08:58:25 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestion 2.6Re: New docs?

PJ Meyer wrote:
Just looked at change log for 2.6
was wondering where the documentation for the new additions/changes is/are.

I usually keep http://midas.psi.ch/elog/config.html up-to-date, but I agree that it's a bit hard to find the additions there, that's why there is the change log Wink

The ELCode is described on a separate page, which can also be accessed by clicking on the ELCode link below the text box of the logbook entry page.
  1565   Thu Dec 22 14:32:00 2005 Question Mikemlmoore@pella.comQuestion 2.6.0Maximum number of LogBooks? Bug?
Is there a Maximum number logbooks?

I have run into a problem but I'm not sure if to call it a Bug or not. We have started using Elog to keep a work log for each of our production servers. After a short trial I put generated a config file using groups for all of our servers which is 294 logbooks. Almost every thing works except the config screen. You get a list of all the logbooks with the checkboxes for the email notifications. If you click save (Doesn't make a difference if you make changes or not) you get the following.

Error: Too many parameters (> 120). Cannot perform operation.

I was able to recompile using cygwin under windows after changing MAX_PARAM from 120 to 400. That fixes the problem, but eventually you get a stack overflow.

Any suggestions? I have considered separate instances running 100 logbooks each but I would like to have a global search.

Thanks for a Great tool. I've been using it as a personal log for sometime and was finally able to convince my team we sould use it.
  1566   Thu Dec 22 15:14:39 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestion 2.6.0Re: Maximum number of LogBooks? Bug?

Mike wrote:
Is there a Maximum number logbooks?

I have run into a problem but I'm not sure if to call it a Bug or not. We have started using Elog to keep a work log for each of our production servers. After a short trial I put generated a config file using groups for all of our servers which is 294 logbooks. Almost every thing works except the config screen. You get a list of all the logbooks with the checkboxes for the email notifications. If you click save (Doesn't make a difference if you make changes or not) you get the following.

Error: Too many parameters (> 120). Cannot perform operation.

I was able to recompile using cygwin under windows after changing MAX_PARAM from 120 to 400. That fixes the problem, but eventually you get a stack overflow.

Any suggestions? I have considered separate instances running 100 logbooks each but I would like to have a global search.

Thanks for a Great tool. I've been using it as a personal log for sometime and was finally able to convince my team we sould use it.

You're really pushing to the limit Wink

The maximum number of logbooks is indeed 120. If you have too many logbooks, they are also hard to handle (too many check boxes in the config page etc.). What if you make not one logbook per server, but have a single logbook and use the server as an attribute, like

Attributes = ..., Server, ...
Options Server = Server1, Server2, ...

Now you can ask: How many options are possible for an attribute, and the answer is 100, which is even less than the number of logbooks. But you can make three logbooks, each covering 100 servers, and that covers your 294 servers.
  1567   Thu Dec 22 15:39:23 2005 Smile Mikemlmoore@pella.comQuestion 2.6.0Re: Maximum number of LogBooks? Bug?

Stefan Ritt wrote:

You're really pushing to the limit Wink

The maximum number of logbooks is indeed 120. If you have too many logbooks, they are also hard to handle (too many check boxes in the config page etc.). What if you make not one logbook per server, but have a single logbook and use the server as an attribute, like

Attributes = ..., Server, ...
Options Server = Server1, Server2, ...

Now you can ask: How many options are possible for an attribute, and the answer is 100, which is even less than the number of logbooks. But you can make three logbooks, each covering 100 servers, and that covers your 294 servers.

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion. I will give that a try.

You might want to consider adding a check that there aren't over 120 logbooks. I manually created the elog.cfg with 294 logbooks. Everything works, except for running into this problem.

Thanks again
  1569   Thu Dec 22 21:15:19 2005 Reply Edmundo T Rodriguezedrodrig@chpnet.orgRequest 2.6.0"Syntax of elogd.cfg" - Document
The document "ELOG - Syntax of elogd.cfg" is outdated!

Are we going to have an updated documented?

How much difference exists between the one posted as a reference
and new one covering all new options in ELOG?
  1570   Fri Dec 23 09:07:14 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequest 2.6.0Re: "Syntax of elogd.cfg" - Document

Edmundo T Rodriguez wrote:
The document "ELOG - Syntax of elogd.cfg" is outdated!

I forgot to update the web server, but the document distributed in the 2.6.0 package was up to date.

Are we going to have an updated documented?

I copied the actual version to the web server.

How much difference exists between the one posted as a reference
and new one covering all new options in ELOG?

For the changes from one version to the other, have a look at the changelog.
  1571   Tue Jan 3 17:20:16 2006 Entry Mikemlmoore@pella.comBug report V2.6.0elogd 2.6.0 crash on password Forgot?
I have been having a repeatable crash on V2.6.0 everytime someone tries to recover a password using the option from the login screen. See attachment for a jpg of the message.

This is occuring on windows 2003. But I have also tested it on windows XP and it occurs there as well. In addition on XP I did a generic installtion and added the password option to the DEMO application and it fails there as well.

Mike
Attachment 1: elog-pw-crash.jpg
elog-pw-crash.jpg
  1579   Tue Jan 10 00:32:19 2006 Question David Brodydbrody@echo-inc.comQuestion 2.5.8-2Date imports from CSV incorrectly
When I import from a CSV file, dates formatted as mm/dd/yy always get imported as 12/31/1969

Here are the parameters I am using for dates:

Attributes = Ticket #, Status, Assigned To, Status Date, Install Date, Category, Activity, Environment, Component, TstTrk
Type Status Date = date
Type Install Date = date
Date format = %A, %d %B, %Y

Preset Status Date = $date

Thanks!

DB
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886