DRS4 Forum
  DRS4 Discussion Forum, Page 39 of 44  Not logged in ELOG logo
New entries since:Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 1970
ID Date Author Subjectup
  249   Tue May 21 17:45:05 2013 Enrico Contimac osx 10.6
> 
> Can it be that you have a old PowerPC MAC? I have no experience with that, but probably you have to adjust the Makefile
> ans set some flags correctly for PPC instead of Intel.
> 
> /Stefan


No, I have a MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
  250   Tue May 21 17:48:45 2013 Enrico Contimac osx 10.6
> 
> it looks like 64bit vs 32bit problem, you have to compile all libraries for the same architecture. Maybe, make clean to 
> remove all precompiled object files .o and recompile it again. Try to compile first that simple example without wxWidgets.
> 
> Martin


Good point, but all libraries are already compiled to 32 bits, since the laptop is running at 32 bits. Unless you mean that I
have to convert to 64 bits, but this means to change all content of the PC, and I don't want to do this. Can the applications
run with 32 bits or do they need 64 ? 

Thanks,
Enrico
  251   Tue May 21 17:51:09 2013 Stefan Rittmac osx 10.6
> > 
> > it looks like 64bit vs 32bit problem, you have to compile all libraries for the same architecture. Maybe, make clean to 
> > remove all precompiled object files .o and recompile it again. Try to compile first that simple example without wxWidgets.
> > 
> > Martin
> 
> 
> Good point, but all libraries are already compiled to 32 bits, since the laptop is running at 32 bits. Unless you mean that I
> have to convert to 64 bits, but this means to change all content of the PC, and I don't want to do this. Can the applications
> run with 32 bits or do they need 64 ? 
> 
> Thanks,
> Enrico

There is no specific reason to run it on 64 bits, so just all libraries have to match, that's all. But the original Makefile has been written for 64 bits, so it might need some 
adjustments.

/Stefan
  252   Tue May 21 18:30:11 2013 Enrico Contimac osx 10.6
> > > 
> > > it looks like 64bit vs 32bit problem, you have to compile all libraries for the same architecture. Maybe, make clean to 
> > > remove all precompiled object files .o and recompile it again. Try to compile first that simple example without wxWidgets.
> > > 
> > > Martin
> > 
> > 
> > Good point, but all libraries are already compiled to 32 bits, since the laptop is running at 32 bits. Unless you mean that I
> > have to convert to 64 bits, but this means to change all content of the PC, and I don't want to do this. Can the applications
> > run with 32 bits or do they need 64 ? 
> > 
> > Thanks,
> > Enrico
> 


> There is no specific reason to run it on 64 bits, 

Good.

> so just all libraries have to match, that's all. But the original Makefile has been written for 64 bits, so it might need some 
> adjustments.

Ok, but I don't understand where is the point to correct. 64 bits do not appear explicitally (at least to me, who am not a drake of programming ...) 
neither in the Makefile neither in the (few) source files I have examined.

Thanks again,
Enrico
  253   Fri May 24 17:58:07 2013 Enrico Contimac osx 10.6
> > > 
> > > it looks like 64bit vs 32bit problem, you have to compile all libraries for the same architecture. Maybe, make clean to 
> > > remove all precompiled object files .o and recompile it again. Try to compile first that simple example without wxWidgets.
> > > 
> > > Martin
> > 
> > 
> > Good point, but all libraries are already compiled to 32 bits, since the laptop is running at 32 bits. Unless you mean that I
> > have to convert to 64 bits, but this means to change all content of the PC, and I don't want to do this. Can the applications
> > run with 32 bits or do they need 64 ? 
> > 
> > Thanks,
> > Enrico
> 
> There is no specific reason to run it on 64 bits, so just all libraries have to match, that's all. But the original Makefile has been written for 64 bits, so it might need some 
> adjustments.
> 
> /Stefan

Hi Stefan,
   I made some progress. Understood what was wrong in the make phase. You have only to add the option -arch i386 in the CFLAGS line of the makefile.
Then the make is ok, it produces the 3 executables. drs_exam and drscl seem to work correctly. 
DRSOsc.app does not work as app, in the sense that if you click it, an error message comes saying "You can't use this version of the application DRSOsc.app with 
this version of Mac OS X. You have Mac OSX 10.6.8. The application requires Mac OS X 10.7 or later. "
If you execute drsosc from the terminal, the graphical window pops up, the waveform is displayed, but you don't have access to the graphical interface, no button works, you can't do
anything. To quit the app, you have to kill it from the terminal with the kill command.
But anyway is a progress with respect to yestarday.
Any idea/suggestion to overcome the above problems ? I thought it is a problem with the graphical library (xwWidgets) but I have checked it, it's ok, I have also reinstalled it
(release 2.8.12_3) but nothing changed.

PS. the chip test output (done with the drscl ) is the following (see below). Is it normal or what ? THANKS.

B0> ct
Press 'q' to quit, any other key to repeat test.

Max. frequency is 5.1 GHz
Cell error on channel 1, cell 5: -137.6 mV instead 0 mV
Chip Error!

Max. frequency is 5.1 GHz
Cell error on channel 1, cell 5: -129.4 mV instead 0 mV
Chip Error!
  254   Fri May 24 18:20:14 2013 Stefan Rittmac osx 10.6
> I made some progress. Understood what was wrong in the make phase. You have only to add the option -arch i386 in the CFLAGS line of the makefile.
> Then the make is ok, it produces the 3 executables. drs_exam and drscl seem to work correctly. 
> DRSOsc.app does not work as app, in the sense that if you click it, an error message comes saying "You can't use this version of the application DRSOsc.app with 
> this version of Mac OS X. You have Mac OSX 10.6.8. The application requires Mac OS X 10.7 or later. "
> If you execute drsosc from the terminal, the graphical window pops up, the waveform is displayed, but you don't have access to the graphical interface, no button works, you can't do
> anything. To quit the app, you have to kill it from the terminal with the kill command.

To run an executable as an app, you have to put it into a certain directory structure. The Makefile has the target "make app" which exactly does that. It executes following code:

DRSOsc.app: drsosc
        -mkdir DRSOsc.app
        -mkdir DRSOsc.app/Contents
        -mkdir DRSOsc.app/Contents/MacOS
        -mkdir DRSOsc.app/Contents/Resources
        -mkdir DRSOsc.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj
        echo 'APPL????' > DRSOsc.app/Contents/PkgInfo
        cp drsosc.xcodeproj/Info-processed.plist DRSOsc.app/Contents/Info.plist
        cp drsosc DRSOsc.app/Contents/MacOS/DRSOsc
        cp drsosc.xcodeproj/DRSOsc.icns DRSOsc.app/Contents/Resources

You can also do this manually. You will then see the subdirectly DRSOsc.app actually as an App icon (you don't see it as a subdirectory in the Finder).  That's the way Apple has chosen to do this.

The chip test facility has been made for a certain test board we use for chip testing. It has a feature that is not present in the evaluation board. I have to disable that command there.

Best regards,
Stefan
  255   Sat May 25 12:45:46 2013 Enrico Contimac osx 10.6
> > I made some progress. Understood what was wrong in the make phase. You have only to add the option -arch i386 in the CFLAGS line of the makefile.
> > Then the make is ok, it produces the 3 executables. drs_exam and drscl seem to work correctly. 
> > DRSOsc.app does not work as app, in the sense that if you click it, an error message comes saying "You can't use this version of the application DRSOsc.app with 
> > this version of Mac OS X. You have Mac OSX 10.6.8. The application requires Mac OS X 10.7 or later. "
> > If you execute drsosc from the terminal, the graphical window pops up, the waveform is displayed, but you don't have access to the graphical interface, no button works, you can't do
> > anything. To quit the app, you have to kill it from the terminal with the kill command.
> 
> To run an executable as an app, you have to put it into a certain directory structure. The Makefile has the target "make app" which exactly does that. It executes following code:
> 
> DRSOsc.app: drsosc
>         -mkdir DRSOsc.app
>         -mkdir DRSOsc.app/Contents
>         -mkdir DRSOsc.app/Contents/MacOS
>         -mkdir DRSOsc.app/Contents/Resources
>         -mkdir DRSOsc.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj
>         echo 'APPL????' > DRSOsc.app/Contents/PkgInfo
>         cp drsosc.xcodeproj/Info-processed.plist DRSOsc.app/Contents/Info.plist
>         cp drsosc DRSOsc.app/Contents/MacOS/DRSOsc
>         cp drsosc.xcodeproj/DRSOsc.icns DRSOsc.app/Contents/Resources
> 
> You can also do this manually. You will then see the subdirectly DRSOsc.app actually as an App icon (you don't see it as a subdirectory in the Finder).  That's the way Apple has chosen to do this.
> 
> The chip test facility has been made for a certain test board we use for chip testing. It has a feature that is not present in the evaluation board. I have to disable that command there.
> 
> Best regards,
> Stefan

Hi Stefan,
yes, the makefile has already the recipe to create the app. For OSX 10.6 a obvious modification must be done in the info.plist file. Then everything goes right. Now I have the DRSOsc application
running on my mac with 10.6.
Thanks for the help.
Best regards,
Enrico
  315   Tue Dec 10 14:48:42 2013 ismail okan atakisimeasurement range

I m trying to measure lifetime in our lab and I intend to take
measurement with DRS4 at that point I have a little bit confused about
DRS4 time range.In My system I opened 10 us gate but after triggering
DRS4 measure nearly 1.2 us. Because of this I want to extend DRS4 time range that
measurement range from 1.2us to 10 us.  

  316   Tue Dec 10 14:54:46 2013 Stefan Rittmeasurement range

ismail okan atakisi wrote:

I m trying to measure lifetime in our lab and I intend to take
measurement with DRS4 at that point I have a little bit confused about
DRS4 time range.In My system I opened 10 us gate but after triggering
DRS4 measure nearly 1.2 us. Because of this I want to extend DRS4 time range that
measurement range from 1.2us to 10 us.  

Have a look at the Evaluation Board description at http://www.psi.ch/drs/evaluation-board. It says that you have 1024 sampling points per channel. So If you sample at 0.7 GSPS, this gives you a time range of 1/0.7 GHz * 1024 = 1.46 us.

Best regards,
Stefan

  737   Wed Feb 20 08:03:04 2019 Lev Pavlovmeg?

Hey. Strange problem. Why does the compiler refer there at all? Library installed drsosc works

 

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "C:\meg\online\drivers\drs\libusb-1.0\libusb-1.0.lib"

  738   Wed Feb 20 08:08:42 2019 Stefan Rittmeg?

You have to change the path to libusb-1.0.lib to the one where you installed it.

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Hey. Strange problem. Why does the compiler refer there at all? Library installed drsosc works

 

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "C:\meg\online\drivers\drs\libusb-1.0\libusb-1.0.lib"

 

  739   Wed Feb 20 12:13:44 2019 Lev Pavlovmeg?

Great, drs_exam compiles without problems. Now when you run the compiled file drs_exam writes board not found, but drsosc and drscl work without problems. What could possibly be the matter?

thanks for your patience

Lev

Stefan Ritt wrote:

You have to change the path to libusb-1.0.lib to the one where you installed it.

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Hey. Strange problem. Why does the compiler refer there at all? Library installed drsosc works

 

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "C:\meg\online\drivers\drs\libusb-1.0\libusb-1.0.lib"

 

 

  740   Wed Feb 20 12:56:56 2019 Stefan Rittmeg?

No idea. Maye some access problem. Have you tried to start your program under an admin account?

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Great, drs_exam compiles without problems. Now when you run the compiled file drs_exam writes board not found, but drsosc and drscl work without problems. What could possibly be the matter?

thanks for your patience

Lev

Stefan Ritt wrote:

You have to change the path to libusb-1.0.lib to the one where you installed it.

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Hey. Strange problem. Why does the compiler refer there at all? Library installed drsosc works

 

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "C:\meg\online\drivers\drs\libusb-1.0\libusb-1.0.lib"

 

 

 

  749   Fri Apr 12 09:39:30 2019 Lev Pavlovmulti-board

Good afternoon, I use 5 boards in multi-mode, everything is connected according to the instructions. Can I measure the phase difference between the two signals on channel 1 and channel 20? with each board the phase shift is added +16 ns I can not figure out how to compensate for this. give thanks
  750   Fri Apr 12 09:55:50 2019 Stefan Rittmulti-board

Subtract 16 ns from your measured value ;-)

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Good afternoon, I use 5 boards in multi-mode, everything is connected according to the instructions. Can I measure the phase difference between the two signals on channel 1 and channel 20? with each board the phase shift is added +16 ns I can not figure out how to compensate for this. give thanks

 

  751   Fri Apr 12 09:59:15 2019 Lev Pavlovmulti-board

 

I understand this, thanks. But my Chief does not understand this, he wants to see the phase difference without “crutches”. And what is meant in the manual 50 ps resolution? Maybe I just do not understand something? And if you submit a reference signal not in the mode of a garland, but simultaneously in parallel to all the boards, will this shift go? Thanks

Lev Pavlov

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Subtract 16 ns from your measured value ;-)

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Good afternoon, I use 5 boards in multi-mode, everything is connected according to the instructions. Can I measure the phase difference between the two signals on channel 1 and channel 20? with each board the phase shift is added +16 ns I can not figure out how to compensate for this. give thanks

 

 

  752   Fri Apr 12 12:50:18 2019 Stefan Rittmulti-board

If you have two signal going through two cables, the cable have never the same length (on a scale of picoseconds), and you have to calibrate that anyway. So a proper timing calibration is not a crutch.

What do you mean by "manual 50ps"? The manual does not mention any resolution. In my experience, you can achieve about 10ps between channels of the SAME board easily. The phase shift between boards in multi-mode is always there, unfortunately there are no cable which conduct current faster than the speed of light! What you can do is to split a common reference clock and send a copy to one channel of each board, then calculate the timing relative to the next edge in that reference signal. This way you get rid of the phase shift, but this is also a kind of calibration, so in your laguange that would be "a big crutch".

Stefan

 

Lev Pavlov wrote:

 

I understand this, thanks. But my Chief does not understand this, he wants to see the phase difference without “crutches”. And what is meant in the manual 50 ps resolution? Maybe I just do not understand something? And if you submit a reference signal not in the mode of a garland, but simultaneously in parallel to all the boards, will this shift go? Thanks

Lev Pavlov

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Subtract 16 ns from your measured value ;-)

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Good afternoon, I use 5 boards in multi-mode, everything is connected according to the instructions. Can I measure the phase difference between the two signals on channel 1 and channel 20? with each board the phase shift is added +16 ns I can not figure out how to compensate for this. give thanks

 

 

 

  742   Thu Feb 21 09:51:24 2019 Lev Pavlovno board found

Hey. Yes, the program is running as administrator. By the way, this is win10. Your drs_exam works fine. My drs_exam compiled wrote no board found. Maybe this is a problem like in the post https://elog.psi.ch/elogs/DRS4+Forum/698. Maybe there were solutions to the problems?

Thank You

Lev

Stefan Ritt wrote:

No idea. Maye some access problem. Have you tried to start your program under an admin account?

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Great, drs_exam compiles without problems. Now when you run the compiled file drs_exam writes board not found, but drsosc and drscl work without problems. What could possibly be the matter?

thanks for your patience

Lev

Stefan Ritt wrote:

You have to change the path to libusb-1.0.lib to the one where you installed it.

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Hey. Strange problem. Why does the compiler refer there at all? Library installed drsosc works

 

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "C:\meg\online\drivers\drs\libusb-1.0\libusb-1.0.lib"

 

 

 

 

  743   Thu Feb 21 09:57:53 2019 Stefan Rittno board found

Could be. Have you tried that elog:657

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Hey. Yes, the program is running as administrator. By the way, this is win10. Your drs_exam works fine. My drs_exam compiled wrote no board found. Maybe this is a problem like in the post https://elog.psi.ch/elogs/DRS4+Forum/698. Maybe there were solutions to the problems?

Thank You

Lev

Stefan Ritt wrote:

No idea. Maye some access problem. Have you tried to start your program under an admin account?

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Great, drs_exam compiles without problems. Now when you run the compiled file drs_exam writes board not found, but drsosc and drscl work without problems. What could possibly be the matter?

thanks for your patience

Lev

Stefan Ritt wrote:

You have to change the path to libusb-1.0.lib to the one where you installed it.

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Hey. Strange problem. Why does the compiler refer there at all? Library installed drsosc works

 

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "C:\meg\online\drivers\drs\libusb-1.0\libusb-1.0.lib"

 

 

 

 

 

  744   Mon Feb 25 08:40:44 2019 Lev Pavlovno board found

 

Hello. When compiling drs_exam, do you need to use a "static "version of usblib or a "dynamic" version?"The problem with "no board found" is not solved. Thanks for your help.

Lev.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Could be. Have you tried that elog:657

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Hey. Yes, the program is running as administrator. By the way, this is win10. Your drs_exam works fine. My drs_exam compiled wrote no board found. Maybe this is a problem like in the post https://elog.psi.ch/elogs/DRS4+Forum/698. Maybe there were solutions to the problems?

Thank You

Lev

Stefan Ritt wrote:

No idea. Maye some access problem. Have you tried to start your program under an admin account?

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Great, drs_exam compiles without problems. Now when you run the compiled file drs_exam writes board not found, but drsosc and drscl work without problems. What could possibly be the matter?

thanks for your patience

Lev

Stefan Ritt wrote:

You have to change the path to libusb-1.0.lib to the one where you installed it.

Stefan

Lev Pavlov wrote:

Hey. Strange problem. Why does the compiler refer there at all? Library installed drsosc works

 

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "C:\meg\online\drivers\drs\libusb-1.0\libusb-1.0.lib"

 

 

 

 

 

 

ELOG V3.1.4-bcd7b50