Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 198 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Categoryup OS ELOG Version Subject
  68792   Fri May 4 14:43:35 2018 Warning Joseph McKennajoseph.mckenna@cern.chBug reportLinux2.9.2Elog ID entry bug at >99999 entries

We have a possible bug with elog that the ID for an elog entry at over 99,999 entires reads as 10,000... 

68792/1 Illistrates the problem, we use this ID often to cross reference from out datalog...

Is this a know bug we can find a fix for? We are using:  elogd 2.9.2 built Jul 14 2015, 18:58:06 revision

Attachment 1: sequencer_events.png
sequencer_events.png
  68793   Fri May 4 16:05:32 2018 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chBug reportLinux2.9.2Re: Elog ID entry bug at >99999 entries

I am not sure I understand your bug report.

I can easily create IDs greater than 100'000 (see attached picture), but that is not your problem, or is it?

Cheers, Andreas

Joseph McKenna wrote:

We have a possible bug with elog that the ID for an elog entry at over 99,999 entires reads as 10,000... 

68792/1 Illistrates the problem, we use this ID often to cross reference from out datalog...

Is this a know bug we can find a fix for? We are using:  elogd 2.9.2 built Jul 14 2015, 18:58:06 revision

Attachment 1: elog-test.png
elog-test.png
  68794   Sat May 5 11:22:50 2018 Reply Chris Rasmussenchris.rasmussen@cern.chBug reportLinux2.9.2Re: Elog ID entry bug at >99999 entries

Hi Andreas, I'm working on the same experiment as Joseph who submitted the bug report.

You are right, IDs greater than 10^5 are created no problem. The issue is with the internal elog link, in this case of the form elog:SequencerEvents/XXXXX  The link generated uses only the first 5 digits of the message ID, and therefore links to the wrong message. In the two attachments you can see our sequencer event number 100098, first displaying the message where all of the ID is displayed and secondly in "full" view of the elog front page. Here, the "ID" column contains a link with the string: elog:SequencerEvents/10009. Our problem is that we often use this string to paste into other elogs and generate a link to the sequencer event message. However, since the string uses too few digits, we end up with a link to the wrong message

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

I can easily create IDs greater than 100'000 (see attached picture), but that is not your problem, or is it?

Cheers, Andreas

Joseph McKenna wrote:

Attachment 1: sequencer_event_100098.PNG
sequencer_event_100098.PNG
Attachment 2: sequencer_event_10009X.PNG
sequencer_event_10009X.PNG
  68795   Sat May 5 20:55:23 2018 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chBug reportLinux2.9.2Re: Elog ID entry bug at >99999 entries

Well, in my example the ID link worked just fine.

There could be a string length limitation, but it could be as well the way you are creating the ID that is the source of the problem: I would need the part of your elogd.cfg that defines how you format your ID in order to try to reproduce your problem.

Cheers, Andreas

Chris Rasmussen wrote:

Hi Andreas, I'm working on the same experiment as Joseph who submitted the bug report.

You are right, IDs greater than 10^5 are created no problem. The issue is with the internal elog link, in this case of the form elog:SequencerEvents/XXXXX  The link generated uses only the first 5 digits of the message ID, and therefore links to the wrong message. In the two attachments you can see our sequencer event number 100098, first displaying the message where all of the ID is displayed and secondly in "full" view of the elog front page. Here, the "ID" column contains a link with the string: elog:SequencerEvents/10009. Our problem is that we often use this string to paste into other elogs and generate a link to the sequencer event message. However, since the string uses too few digits, we end up with a link to the wrong message

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

Cheers, Andreas

Joseph McKenna wrote:

68796   Mon May 7 14:24:18 2018 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportLinux2.9.2Re: Elog ID entry bug at >99999 entries

As Andreas said we have to reproduce the problem. What is special in your case is the elog:SequencerEvents/XXXXX. This is non-standard and must be created through your configuration of elog or by an external script. I just guess that you have something like

Preset ID = elog:SequencerEvents/#####

which causes elog to preset the ID with the above string. Can it be that you just put five hashmarks in the preset?

Stefan

Chris Rasmussen wrote:

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

Cheers, Andreas

Joseph McKenna wrote:

68797   Mon May 7 18:10:20 2018 Reply Chris Rasmussenchris.rasmussen@cern.chBug reportLinux2.9.2Re: Elog ID entry bug at >99999 entries

ah yes, that was a helpful clue. Our elogd.cfg file led me to a .js file which redefines the ID to the elog:SequencerEvents/XXXXX format and it indeed had a silly hard coded length of that string.

Since I am pretty sure this is our code, I think it is safe to say that this is not a bug in the elog

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

There could be a string length limitation, but it could be as well the way you are creating the ID that is the source of the problem: I would need the part of your elogd.cfg that defines how you format your ID in order to try to reproduce your problem.

Cheers, Andreas

Chris Rasmussen wrote:

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

Cheers, Andreas

Joseph McKenna wrote:

68798   Tue May 8 16:17:28 2018 Agree Joseph McKennajoseph.mckenna@cern.chBug reportLinux2.9.2Re: Elog ID entry bug at >99999 entries

Thank you all for your kind responses. Please consider this thread resolved: no bug in elog

Chris Rasmussen wrote:

ah yes, that was a helpful clue. Our elogd.cfg file led me to a .js file which redefines the ID to the elog:SequencerEvents/XXXXX format and it indeed had a silly hard coded length of that string.

Since I am pretty sure this is our code, I think it is safe to say that this is not a bug in the elog

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

Cheers, Andreas

Chris Rasmussen wrote:

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

Cheers, Andreas

Joseph McKenna wrote:

68802   Fri May 18 00:57:33 2018 Warning Tom Robertstom.roberts@iit.eduBug reportWindowslatestelogd service crashes after windows update

We have been using elog on Windows 10 for a long time. Today, after a Windows update, the elogd service started crashing (error 1067, unexpected termination). It ran fine just before the Windows update (which took > 1 hour, so it was a major one). Uninstalling and re-installing did not help, including replacing my elogd.cfg with the default. Installing on another PC (that also has this update) fails in the same way. I have a good backup of my logbook.

Any suggestions?

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886