Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 198 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OSup ELOG Version Subject
  1189   Thu Jun 9 15:20:04 2005 Warning Heiko Scheith.scheit@mpi-hd.mpg.deBug reportLinux2.5.9Re: elog crashes when admin tries to register new users

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Heiko Scheit wrote:
When pasting the URL for the registration of new users (with 'Self register = 3') elog
crashes with segmentation fault. I don't have the time currently to give you more
debuging information but maybe you can have a look the same. It crashes after
the user is registered. The Email is sent, too.

I cannot reproduce this problem either. The only difference I see is that I use thunderbird as my email client, where I don't have to copy/paste the activation URL into my browser, but just click on it. If maybe the copy/paste operation adds an additional CR/LF or so, that could be a problem. Can you check again? A stack trace of the crashed elogd would help as well.

The following appended after the base (!) URL results in a segmentation fault
?cmd=Activate&new_user_name=test1&new_full_name=Test1

It works fine, if a specific logbook is given. So
http://my.ho.st/?cmd=Activate&new_user_name=test1&new_full_name=Test1
is not OK, while
http://my.ho.st/myLogBook/?cmd=Activate&new_user_name=test1&new_full_name=Test1
is OK.
  1190   Sat Jun 11 02:29:01 2005 Question Charles DuncanCharles@YorkU.CAQuestionLinux Moving eLog from Server to Server...
I am moving my eLog system from one server to another.

I moved all my log books, my /etc/elog.conf, and /usr/share/elog/elog.pwd file. Did I miss anything?

The Logbooks come up fine on the eLog list, but when I try to access them I get invalid user name...

Do I have to do some sort of conversion to move the pwd file from one server to another?

Or should I try using the sync command for the move? does sync also move the pwd file??

-Charles-
  1191   Mon Jun 13 17:45:47 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux Re: Moving eLog from Server to Server...

Charles Duncan wrote:
I moved all my log books, my /etc/elog.conf, and /usr/share/elog/elog.pwd file. Did I miss anything?
The Logbooks come up fine on the eLog list, but when I try to access them I get invalid user name...
Do I have to do some sort of conversion to move the pwd file from one server to another?
Or should I try using the sync command for the move? does sync also move the pwd file??

Of course you have to start elogd after you copied all files over, but I presume you did that. The password file itself does not need any conversion, it should work on both hosts fine. Cloning an elog logbook (via the "-C <url>") flag, does copy the password file if you enter "yes" to the according question. Have you checked the file permission of the password file? Maybe the user name elogd is running under has no read access to it.
  1192   Mon Jun 13 18:45:45 2005 Reply Charles DuncanCharles@YorkU.CAQuestionLinux Re: Moving eLog from Server to Server...

Quote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Charles Duncan wrote:

Of course you have to start elogd after you copied all files over, but I presume you did that. The
password file itself does not need any conversion, it should work on both hosts fine. Cloning an elog logbook
(via the "-C <url>") flag, does copy the password file if you enter "yes" to the according question. Have you
checked the file permission of the password file? Maybe the user name elogd is running under has no read access
to it.

I reinstalled elog on the new server and ran the clone (via the "-C <url>"), wow that is really slick. But unfortunately my passwords and user data were not transfered. I did say 'Y' when prompted to transfer the password info.

I think my problem is that one server is running 2.5.9 (or 2.6.0 beta, unstable, Debian) and my new server is running 2.5.5.3 (stable, UBUNTU).

Are the password files not compatible between the 2 versions?

All my logbook entries appear to be there in full.

btw: I am back leveling to 2.5.5.3 because I lose my last column on every log book view.
  1193   Wed Jun 15 00:20:56 2005 Reply Charles DuncanCharles@YorkU.CAQuestionLinux Re: Moving eLog from Server to Server...

Charles Duncan wrote:

Quote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Charles Duncan wrote:

Of course you have to start elogd after you copied all files over, but I presume you did that. The
password file itself does not need any conversion, it should work on both hosts fine. Cloning an elog logbook
(via the "-C <url>") flag, does copy the password file if you enter "yes" to the according question. Have you
checked the file permission of the password file? Maybe the user name elogd is running under has no read access
to it.

I reinstalled elog on the new server and ran the clone (via the "-C <url>"), wow that is really slick. But unfortunately my passwords and user data were not transfered. I did say 'Y' when prompted to transfer the password info.

I think my problem is that one server is running 2.5.9 (or 2.6.0 beta, unstable, Debian) and my new server is running 2.5.5.3 (stable, UBUNTU).

btw: I am back leveling to 2.5.5.3 because I lose my last column on every log book view.

I wanted to add that the elog.pwd file did transfer when I used the "elogd -C <url>" command, but the passwords and accounts were not recognized. Also I edited my elog.conf file to contain the absolute address of my elog.pwd file.
  1194   Wed Jun 15 18:59:23 2005 Reply Charles DuncanCharles@YorkU.CAQuestionLinux Re: Moving eLog from Server to Server...

Charles Duncan wrote:

Charles Duncan wrote:

Quote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Charles Duncan wrote:

to it.

I wanted to add that the elog.pwd file did transfer when I used the "elogd -C <url>" command, but the passwords and accounts were not recognized. Also I edited my elog.conf file to contain the absolute address of my elog.pwd file.

I fixed it... I merely backed out of the XML format of the elog.pwd and reverted to common passwd format. Everyone can log in now... great product.
  1195   Thu Jun 16 22:37:06 2005 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportLinux2.5.9Re: reverse sort option does not work for quick filter
I finally found some time to fix this problem. The fix is under CVS.
  1196   Fri Jun 17 20:30:53 2005 Question Gerfried Kumbartzkikum@physics.rutgers.eduQuestionLinux2.6.0Cloning
Elog is installed on a laptop (Redhat Linux 2.4.20-8) for quite a while. I like to have a "base" of that logbook on a server and keep it
in sync. Mirroring seem to be the perfect solution. For that I updated to elog v2.6.0 yesterday.

The server is an Alpha running Linux Redhat 7.1. I compiled from elog-latest.tar and installed elog in the 'same' locations as on the laptop.
Created a user elog and a group elog, put elogd.cfg, themes, logbooks ... in /usr/local/elog, owned by elog. Started the elogd, tested,
all seems to work. The elogd.cfg has a read and write passwd set. Any user can access the logbook, read and write after providing the proper user id and password.
Next I wanted to clone the logbooks from the laptop to the server. As superuser I can start elogd -v -C http://latop:8080, but get stuck right away with "Cannot contact elogd at http://laptop:8080/"
As user it works as follows:

Remote configuration successfully received.

Option "Mirror server = http://wotan.rutgers.edu:8080" added to config file.
Logbook directory "logbooks" successfully created.
Created directory "demo"
Indexing logbook "demo" ... Found empty logbook "demo"
Created directory "tfexp"
Indexing logbook "tfexp" ... Found empty logbook "tfexp"

Retrieve remote logbook entries? [y]/n:

Retrieving entries from "http://wotan.rutgers.edu:8080/demo"...
ID1: Remote entry received

Retrieving entries from "http://wotan.rutgers.edu:8080/tfexp"...
Error accessing remote logbook

Cloning finished. Check elogd.cfg and start the server normally.

Allthough, tfexp contains a number of entries all owned by elog like the entry in demo.
Beside missing the real stuff everything ends up in the users home directory. I would like it in the general area (/usr/local/elog for instance).

The other option is to use synchronize after changing [global] from with in the browser. Start elogd, open the logbook and click on config,
enter a Mirror server = http://laptop:8080/
Clicking synchronize give "Error accessing remote logbook"

Again, the logbooks are on both machines in /usr/local/elog/logbooks (owner:group elog:elog). The tfexp in this case is passwd protected.
Any user can access the elogs in both machines, locally or remote. But, I'm unable to synchronize the two.
Maybe somebody can point me in the right direction.

Thank's Gerfried
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886