Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 200 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  68136   Wed Sep 30 10:23:30 2015 Reply Edmund Hertleedmund.hertle@kit.eduRequestAll2.9.0(elogd)Re: elog client overwriting attached files when editing existing log

Hey,

the edit/replace feature is already capable of just replacing individual attributes. I already make heavy use of this feature:

1. One entry is created with some measurement parameters

2. A different script is running processing the measurement data making a plot and a fit

3. Two fit parameters and the attachment are added to the original elog entry (all other attributes and values still exist afterwards)

But the problem here is, that although it does work for normal attrbutes, the attachments will always be replaced (=> removed) if you use this command. Since I only add the attachment on the edit it does work for me. 

Btw the documentation on the homepage is also misleading about the -w command, since in the actual version it does nothing with any password but just reads back the whole elog entry (which I use to manually append the main message)

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

The "elog" command has no "append" feature. You can either create a new entry, or you can overwrite an old entry. Therefore this is not a bug but the intended bahaviour.

I admit that the documentation is misleading, since overwriting an existing entry is called "editing":

[-e <id>]                Edit existing message

I interprete your posts that you would like to have two new features for the "elog" command:

• to append text to the body of an existing entry
  • to add additional attachments to an existing entry

Without a specific application in mind I would like to add a request (for consistency):

• to modify a specific attribute of an existing entry.

Cheers, Andreas

Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey,

I think this is a "problem" of the elog client, since it simply replaces the data. In most cases this is what you want, but since I wanted to have the option to append to the acutal message I built a function to first read-back the entry and add to the message instead of replacing it.

I just played around a bit and found that the attachments will be even disconnected, if you do not specify the -f parameter but just edit a different part of this entry.

A work-around for this is tricky. I tried to write to the "Attachment" attribute directly (-a "Attachment=Filename'), since then you coud read back the data first and manually add the filenames again. But this does not work.

Since the attachments are not actually removed, the only option I see is to modify the logbook file entry on the server by manually re-adding the filenames to the "Attachment: " line.

Joseph McKenna wrote:

Using the elog client to upload atachments, I can successfully send attachments to an existing elog, however the existing attachments are lost.

I have tested using the elog client version 3.1.1 and elog client version 2.9.2 sending to elogd 2.9.0

elog -h localhost -p 8080 -l test -f  file1.png -f file2.png -e 249 -v -x

This works great, the text contained in the elog post is retained, however all attachments are lost and replaced with those sent by this command.

Can anyone provide some tips? I am not sure if its a problem with the client or server.

Thank you in advance!

Joseph

68135   Wed Sep 30 09:28:39 2015 Idea Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionWindows2.7.3Re: Syntax for conditional list display
Hi Terry,
if you really want to do it, you can find a way to make it work. But it is not straight forward and not what ELOG is made for. Here some ideas how it could work:
  • ELOG allows you to have different commands for different users. You could allow "New" and "Edit" for normal users, but "Reply" only for administrators.
  • You can use "Subst on reply <attribute> = <string>" to set a specifc fields only on reply. 
    • You would hide "status" & "assignee" for new entries or edit (Show Attributes Edit = <list>), and show a "set status" field instead.
    • The line "Subst on reply status = $set status" would take care, that only an administrator can set "status" with a reply to the original entry (+ a "set assignee" field, etc.). While normal users could set "set status", it would not change the "status" field. You could provide a comment or tooltip to explain that.
    • The list view or single entry view should not show the "set status", but only the "status" attribute (List display = <list>, Show Attributes = <list>).
  • Use "Propagate attribute = status, assignee" to take care, that the original entry gets their fields set accordingly.

This is how you could do what you want. But bugzilla can do a lot more if you are looking for a bug tracking software.

Cheers, Andreas

Terry L wrote:

Hi Eddy,

Thank you for your response.  I had a feeling that was the case, but I had high hopes! :)  The reason I would like this feature is because I am trying to use ELOG as a software anomaly tracking log, where any user can create an ELOG and fill out "category", "computer" etc, but only administrators can fill out the "status" & "assignee".  If I am lucky, this will be an added feature in a future revision.

Thanks again,

-Terry

Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey Terry,

I don't think this is possible, since in general you cannot define config settings in a way that it would only affect specific users. For example, you also cannot have different themes for different users (as stated here: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68112 )

Cheers

eddy

Terry L wrote:

Good Morning,

I would like to limit the ability to edit certain attributes in an ELOG logbook, depending on the user who is logged in.  I.e. if "guest" or a standard "login user" is logged in, I only want to allow the user to edit "attribute1" & "attribute2" of say, 5 attributes.  However, if an Admin user or specific user, say "Terry" or "Bob" is logged in, I want to allow ALL 5 attributes to be editable.  To expand on this, I may want to even limit the visibility of the attributes as well.

I've read though "Condition Attributes" section of the help page, but it is not clear to me how/if I can do this?  Is that section even relevant to what I want to accomplish?

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thank you for your time & help!

Sincerely,

Terry

68134   Tue Sep 29 17:15:07 2015 Reply Terry Ltrflin@yahoo.comQuestionWindows2.7.3Re: Syntax for conditional list display

Hi Eddy,

Thank you for your response.  I had a feeling that was the case, but I had high hopes! :)  The reason I would like this feature is because I am trying to use ELOG as a software anomaly tracking log, where any user can create an ELOG and fill out "category", "computer" etc, but only administrators can fill out the "status" & "assignee".  If I am lucky, this will be an added feature in a future revision.

Thanks again,

-Terry

Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey Terry,

I don't think this is possible, since in general you cannot define config settings in a way that it would only affect specific users. For example, you also cannot have different themes for different users (as stated here: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68112 )

Cheers

eddy

Terry L wrote:

Good Morning,

I would like to limit the ability to edit certain attributes in an ELOG logbook, depending on the user who is logged in.  I.e. if "guest" or a standard "login user" is logged in, I only want to allow the user to edit "attribute1" & "attribute2" of say, 5 attributes.  However, if an Admin user or specific user, say "Terry" or "Bob" is logged in, I want to allow ALL 5 attributes to be editable.  To expand on this, I may want to even limit the visibility of the attributes as well.

I've read though "Condition Attributes" section of the help page, but it is not clear to me how/if I can do this?  Is that section even relevant to what I want to accomplish?

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Thank you for your time & help!

Sincerely,

Terry

68133   Tue Sep 29 08:50:30 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chBug reportAll3.1.1Re: Creating ELog Links not working properly in HTML Editor
Hi Stefan,
yes, I know that a plain text "elog:1" works in the HTML editor, too.
But if you put "elog:1" in the URL field of the link dialog, then ELOG screws up: you get the text
and the link points to link type "URL", protocol "<other>", URL "1".
Or more precisely, the HTML source looks like the following:
   <a href="1">elog.1</a>&quot;&gt;<a href="1">elog.1</a>
(I've replaced ":" by "." here in the source, to avoid another iteration of links by ELOG).
That is not what I would have expected:
either it should have been remained unchanged, or it should point to the right URL of the entry elog:1 (the latter case preferred :-).

Cheers, Andreas

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Right, spaces won't work. But others work. Andreas, if you just put elog:1 without any link etc. just as plain text, it will be converted automatically into a link.

A workaround is to explicitly specify a link to an elog entry. Press the link button from the editor toolbar, enter a name and copy the full URL from the browser address bar, like here: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68129. If you switch to "Source" (Top left editor toolbar, you can changed the link name manually, like here.

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

I can confirm this bug.

But I don't think this has to work as you've described it, when using the HTML editor: if you use HTML, you can use the link feature of the editor.
But that link feature does currently not work at all with internal elog references, not even a simple elog:1">elog:1 (as you can see here). I suppose there is some more work to do for Stefan on that ;-)

Cheers, Andreas
Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey,

the syntax for creating links to other elog entries has a small issue in the HTML editor. The link will not be created properly if there are whitespaces in the name of the logbook. Using ELCode (or in a simple attribute field) the whitespaces can be replaced by "+", but this does not work in the HTML editor. The work-around would be to use ELCode mark-up instead of HTML.

Example 1 (this should work): elog:Contributions/47

Example 2 (this will not work): elog:Config+Examples/11

Example 3 (will also not work): elog:Config%20Examples/11

68132   Mon Sep 28 12:05:04 2015 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportAll3.1.1Re: Creating ELog Links not working properly in HTML Editor

Right, spaces won't work. But others work. Andreas, if you just put elog:1 without any link etc. just as plain text, it will be converted automatically into a link.

A workaround is to explicitly specify a link to an elog entry. Press the link button from the editor toolbar, enter a name and copy the full URL from the browser address bar, like here: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68129. If you switch to "Source" (Top left editor toolbar, you can changed the link name manually, like here.

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

I can confirm this bug.

But I don't think this has to work as you've described it, when using the HTML editor: if you use HTML, you can use the link feature of the editor.
But that link feature does currently not work at all with internal elog references, not even a simple elog:1">elog:1 (as you can see here). I suppose there is some more work to do for Stefan on that ;-)

Cheers, Andreas
Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey,

the syntax for creating links to other elog entries has a small issue in the HTML editor. The link will not be created properly if there are whitespaces in the name of the logbook. Using ELCode (or in a simple attribute field) the whitespaces can be replaced by "+", but this does not work in the HTML editor. The work-around would be to use ELCode mark-up instead of HTML.

68131   Mon Sep 28 11:58:11 2015 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestAll2.9.0(elogd)Re: elog client overwriting attached files when editing existing log

You are right. "Edit" should be more like "Replace". I changed that in the documentation.

I acknowledge the request to replace or append only a specific attribute or attachment, and put it on my to-do list.

Stefan

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

The "elog" command has no "append" feature. You can either create a new entry, or you can overwrite an old entry. Therefore this is not a bug but the intended bahaviour.

I admit that the documentation is misleading, since overwriting an existing entry is called "editing":

I interprete your posts that you would like to have two new features for the "elog" command:

Without a specific application in mind I would like to add a request (for consistency):

Cheers, Andreas

Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey,

I think this is a "problem" of the elog client, since it simply replaces the data. In most cases this is what you want, but since I wanted to have the option to append to the acutal message I built a function to first read-back the entry and add to the message instead of replacing it.

I just played around a bit and found that the attachments will be even disconnected, if you do not specify the -f parameter but just edit a different part of this entry.

A work-around for this is tricky. I tried to write to the "Attachment" attribute directly (-a "Attachment=Filename'), since then you coud read back the data first and manually add the filenames again. But this does not work.

Since the attachments are not actually removed, the only option I see is to modify the logbook file entry on the server by manually re-adding the filenames to the "Attachment: " line.

Joseph McKenna wrote:

Using the elog client to upload atachments, I can successfully send attachments to an existing elog, however the existing attachments are lost.

I have tested using the elog client version 3.1.1 and elog client version 2.9.2 sending to elogd 2.9.0

This works great, the text contained in the elog post is retained, however all attachments are lost and replaced with those sent by this command.

Can anyone provide some tips? I am not sure if its a problem with the client or server.

Thank you in advance!

Joseph

68130   Mon Sep 28 06:45:03 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chRequestAll2.9.0(elogd)Re: elog client overwriting attached files when editing existing log

Cheers, Andreas

Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey,

Joseph McKenna wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Joseph

68129   Mon Sep 28 06:29:57 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chBug reportAll3.1.1Re: Creating ELog Links not working properly in HTML Editor

I can confirm this bug.

Cheers, Andreas
Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey,

ELOG V3.1.5-fe60aaf