Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 202 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Categoryup OS ELOG Version Subject
  68897   Mon Feb 25 17:03:50 2019 Question Kester Habermannkester.habermann@gmail.comBug reportLinux3.1.4-1elogd hangs on self referencing log entry

Hello,

Somehow when replying to a log entry, a log entry was created that was referring to itself. How this happened, I have no idea. The effect was that each time this enty was loaded, the elogd started to hang, going to 100% load and not responding to any http requests anymore. This problem can be reproduced by manually creating such a self-referencing log entry (see attachment). The problem entry that leads to the crash can be made by editing any elog entry and adding a line "Reply to: X" and a line "In reply to: X" where X is the MID of this entry.

1) Maybe it is possible to add a check when writing files that ensure, that is a log entry does not reference itself.
2) Maybe when loading files are preparing the thread view, elogd can detect cycles and abort.

Attachment 1: 011108a.log
$@MID@$: 1
Date: Thu Nov 08 18:37:57 2001
Reply to: 1
In reply to: 1
Author: Stefan Ritt
Type: Routine
Category: General
Subject: Welcome
Attachment: 
Encoding: ELCode
========================================
[B]Congratulations for installing ELOG sucessfully!
[/B]

This is a demo entry to ensure the elogd server is working correctly. 
Click [I]"New"[/I] to add new pages and [I]"Delete"[/I] to delete this page.
  68908   Sun Mar 10 01:07:53 2019 Entry Ederagedera@gmx.frBug reportLinux3.1.4Very long URLs in message list corrupt layout

First, thank you so much for elog;
after using it for about 3 years, it has proven really handy and reliable.

When there is a very long URL in a message in "plain" encoding,
and this message is displayed in a list of messages,
a very long scrollbar appears at the bottom (same "scroll width" as the URL)
and some tabs and and dropdowns (filters) are unreachable without scrolling.

This does not happen if

• the message is displayed in single message page
  • the message has a ELCode encoding
The exact version used is
0b9f7ed0 Merge branch 'develop'

There are no relevant instructions in elog.css for .messagelist,
and I did not find any obvious fix in the source code.

68909   Mon Mar 11 11:18:02 2019 Question Heinz Junkesjunkes@fhi-berlin.mpg.deBug reportAllelogd 3.1.4elog program does not respect "Allow edit" list

submissions via the elog - program can overwrite entries even if the user has no edit rights

68927   Thu Apr 11 20:31:55 2019 Warning Ben Loerben.loer@pnnl.govBug reportLinux3.1.3Can't subscribe email to logbooks in different top groups

We're running elogd behind an apache proxy server, with Authentication = Webserver. We have top groups configured, but a single shared password file.

If a user is looking at a particular logbook and goes to the Config link, they are presented with a list of checkboxes for email subscription to logbooks in that top group.  Clicking "Save" will remove all email subscriptions from all other top groups.

Is there a workaround to this issue?

EDIT: Manually adding an entry for different logbooks in the password file gets clobbered the next time the user logs in.

68928   Fri Apr 12 15:43:42 2019 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportLinux3.1.3Re: Can't subscribe email to logbooks in different top groups

Top groups should use separate password files, otherwise things can mess up.

Stefan

Ben Loer wrote:

We're running elogd behind an apache proxy server, with Authentication = Webserver. We have top groups configured, but a single shared password file.

If a user is looking at a particular logbook and goes to the Config link, they are presented with a list of checkboxes for email subscription to logbooks in that top group.  Clicking "Save" will remove all email subscriptions from all other top groups.

Is there a workaround to this issue?

EDIT: Manually adding an entry for different logbooks in the password file gets clobbered the next time the user logs in.

68932   Tue Apr 23 14:06:36 2019 Warning Alessio Sartialessio.sarti@uniroma1.itBug reportMac OSX3.1.4elogd Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Dear all.

I am running elog 

elogd 3.1.4 , revision ead6bbc6

on Macosx Mojave

Darwin arpg-serv.ing2.uniroma1.it 18.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 18.5.0: Mon Mar 11 20:40:32 PDT 2019; root:xnu-4903.251.3~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

I managed to compile and run without problems the elog source code.

I can run it and have it properly displayed at boot time. After the server boot, for few hours, I have the elog ready at http://arpg-serv.ing2.uniroma1.it/elog  but then, after few hours.. I get that the service stops and the elog is no longer accessible.

So far I was able to track down the problems only to the 

/var/log/system.log

file in which I find a not useful error message:

Eg: Apr 23 14:00:46 arpg-serv com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (ch.psi.elogd[85248]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

I do not know I can I debug this nor why the code runs for few hours without problems... I just re-downloaded the code from scratch today, unloaded and then re-loaded the daemon but still it fails with the same error.

I am sure that I can get it running again for few hours by re-booting. But I want to understand the source of the problem.. Anyone can be of help on this long standing issue?

Thanks

68933   Tue Apr 23 14:26:51 2019 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportMac OSX3.1.4Re: elogd Service exited with abnormal code: 1

This kind of behavior we typically see if some elog entry is corrupt. After a few hours you might access this corrupt entry by accident, and then the server stops. If you see however this behavior on a fresh logbook with no corrupt entries, then the problem must lie somewhere else.

Do you see the same problem running under linux?

Do you see the same problem if you run elogd interactively (not through launchd)?

If you run elogd inside a debugger (like gdb or lldb), what does the debugger tell you when it crashes and you show the stack frames? Make sure to compile with -O0 and -g flags to include debug information in the executable.

Stefan 

Alessio Sarti wrote:

Dear all.

I am running elog 

elogd 3.1.4 , revision ead6bbc6

on Macosx Mojave

Darwin arpg-serv.ing2.uniroma1.it 18.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 18.5.0: Mon Mar 11 20:40:32 PDT 2019; root:xnu-4903.251.3~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

I managed to compile and run without problems the elog source code.

I can run it and have it properly displayed at boot time. After the server boot, for few hours, I have the elog ready at http://arpg-serv.ing2.uniroma1.it/elog  but then, after few hours.. I get that the service stops and the elog is no longer accessible.

So far I was able to track down the problems only to the 

/var/log/system.log

file in which I find a not useful error message:

Eg: Apr 23 14:00:46 arpg-serv com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (ch.psi.elogd[85248]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1

I do not know I can I debug this nor why the code runs for few hours without problems... I just re-downloaded the code from scratch today, unloaded and then re-loaded the daemon but still it fails with the same error.

I am sure that I can get it running again for few hours by re-booting. But I want to understand the source of the problem.. Anyone can be of help on this long standing issue?

Thanks

68935   Wed Apr 24 09:43:02 2019 Reply Heinz Junkesjunkes@fhi-berlin.mpg.deBug reportAllelogd 3.1.4Re: elog program does not respect "Allow edit" list

Since there's no answer to that.
I am the only one with the problem? Did I just configure something wrong?
Thanks Heinz

Heinz Junkes wrote:

submissions via the elog - program can overwrite entries even if the user has no edit rights

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886