Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 233 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
New entries since:Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 1970
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Category OS ELOG Versionup Subject
  1957   Mon Sep 25 15:30:48 2006 Question Dimitrios Tsirigkasdimitrios.tsirigkas@cern.chQuestionLinux2.6.1Invalid addresses block email notifications
Hi Stefan,

We have had problems with some users who subscribe for elog notifications using fake email addresses. When this happens, e-mail notifications stop working for all users and I have to find out which is the problematic email address and fix it myself. Is this a known problem? Is there a fix in a version newer than 2.6.1?

Thanks,
Dimitris
  1958   Mon Sep 25 18:23:54 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.1Re: Invalid addresses block email notifications

Dimitrios Tsirigkas wrote:
Hi Stefan,

We have had problems with some users who subscribe for elog notifications using fake email addresses. When this happens, e-mail notifications stop working for all users and I have to find out which is the problematic email address and fix it myself. Is this a known problem? Is there a fix in a version newer than 2.6.1?

Thanks,
Dimitris

Hi Dimitris,

in fact I have the same problem here with the forum. So far I did not find a clever solution, but I have some thought on how to minimize it:

• Do the self registration by sending a key to the registered email address. Only by using that key the account can be activated. This way at least on ensures a proper email address initially. There are however ways to temporaryly generate email accounts, which kind of bypasses this system. Furthermore, if an email address becomes invalid because the domain is switched off, this does not help.
  • Email at least an error notification to the admin in case of failure.

You would say "why not removing the invalid email address"? Well that's kind of hard, since I send the email notification to all recipients in one email. Therefor I cannot figure out which is the offending email address. If I would send the emails separately to everyone, this can easily take minutes, which in turn would block the email server for that time. A solution would be a multithreaded server, which in fact is planned, but will not come so soon. If you come up with another clever solution please let me know.
  2059   Thu Nov 9 22:08:10 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.6.1Re: add field type to automatically email CC

Mark Bergman wrote:
I've got logbooks where I'm submitting entries on behalf of other users, or where other people should be notified of the ticket. This isn't a fixed list of people, and shouldn't be hard-coded into a config file. I've got a field to enter the user's e-mail address, but there's no action associated with that data.

I'd like to see a new field type that allows the entry of e-mail addresses, where each addresses supplied with the logfile entry would be automatically "CC'ed" in the notification e-mail. Ideally, people on the CC list would be (optionally) CC'ed when there are replies or edits to the original elog entry.

For example (snippet of fictional elogd.cfg):

-------------------------------
[web site]
Welcome Title = Issues regarding the web site
MOptions Category = Add links, Change content, Broken Link, Other
CCMailTo = Notification List
Attributes = Author, Category, Severity, Subject, Entry ID, Status, User, Login
Extendable Attributes = Category, Severity, Subject, Status, User, Login, Notification List
Required Attributes = Category, Subject, Status, User

Just do the following:
Attributes = Author, Category, Notification list
Email all = $Notification list

Whenever you enter a new entry, you put a list of email addresses into the Notification list, which is then used for sending email addresses. This list also stays there in replies or edits.
  2060   Thu Nov 9 22:40:06 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.6.1Re: suggestion for "new user registration" page

Mark Bergman wrote:
Suggestions for improving the registration page:

Put a "submit" button after the password entry.

Possibly supress the local "bottom text", or allow the specification of a different file for the registration page.

After the user has registered, then show a page allowing them to subscribe for e-mail notifcation. That page should be organized the same way as the main page, with groups. Users should be allowed to subscribe to entire groups, or to expand each group to select or unsubscribe from individual logbooks.

Thanks,

Mark

I put the "save" button below the password entry and removed the "bottom text", I hope this helps a bit.
  2063   Thu Nov 9 23:04:32 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux2.6.1Re: Is it possible to require certain attributes for specific users (guests)?
> First of all, thanks for writing and maintaining eLog.
> 
> I've been using it for a few years, but I'm now introducing it in an environment that may have a lot of "Guest"
> accounts.
> 
> I'd like to have two "Required Attributes" when a guest enters a new entry; their name and e-mail address. These
> fields don't need to be required for registered accounts, since that information is available already.
> 
> Is there any way to have conditional statements act on the value of $short_name?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Mark

Actually there is one possibility:

Preset Author = $long_name
Required Attributes = Author

This will force the author to be supplied. If one is logged in, the login name will be put into the author field. If
there is guest access, the field will contain "anonymous", so hopefully each guest will change that to the real name...
  2078   Wed Nov 15 18:50:02 2006 Reply Arckonitcrashrunover@hotmail.comRequestLinux2.6.1Re: add field type to automatically email CC

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Mark Bergman wrote:
I've got logbooks where I'm submitting entries on behalf of other users, or where other people should be notified of the ticket. This isn't a fixed list of people, and shouldn't be hard-coded into a config file. I've got a field to enter the user's e-mail address, but there's no action associated with that data.

I'd like to see a new field type that allows the entry of e-mail addresses, where each addresses supplied with the logfile entry would be automatically "CC'ed" in the notification e-mail. Ideally, people on the CC list would be (optionally) CC'ed when there are replies or edits to the original elog entry.

For example (snippet of fictional elogd.cfg):

[web site]
Welcome Title = Issues regarding the web site
MOptions Category = Add links, Change content, Broken Link, Other
CCMailTo = Notification List
Attributes = Author, Category, Severity, Subject, Entry ID, Status, User, Login
Extendable Attributes = Category, Severity, Subject, Status, User, Login, Notification List
Required Attributes = Category, Subject, Status, User

Just do the following:
Attributes = Author, Category, Notification list
Email all = $Notification list

Whenever you enter a new entry, you put a list of email addresses into the Notification list, which is then used for sending email addresses. This list also stays there in replies or edits.

mmmm when i try your suggestion, it doesn't work :
error from the smtp server
Erreur lors de l'envoi d'un mél. via "172.20.0.2": Issue RCPT TO: command before DATA command

here is my config
Theme = default
Comment = Logs des modification de scripts des 3 domaines
Attributes = Acteur, Action, Type, Nom du Scripts, Language, Domaine, Categorie, Commentaires,Notification
Options Action = Ajout, Modification, Suppression, Réseau, Autre, Hotfix
Options Type = Ouverture de session,Autre, deploiement
Options Language = VBS, AU3, Kix, Batch, Ksh, Perl
Options Domaine = VaubanHumanis, Humanis, Vauban
Extendable Options = Catégorie, Type, Action
Required Attributes = Acteur, Type, Lieu
Page Title = Modification Scripts - $subject
Reverse sort = 1
Quick filter = Date, Type
Suppress Email to users = 1
# Email all = someadminsuser@maildomain.com
Email all = $Notification
Options Status = 1-To Do{1}, 2-Open{2}, 3-Closed{3}, 4-Suspended{4}

you can remark the commented line
i would like to have one fixed list, so those users will be always alerted, and to be able to add and adress email in the notification attribute, but i really don't know how to do it
thx for any suggestions
  2079   Wed Nov 15 19:33:17 2006 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.6.1Re: add field type to automatically email CC

Arckonit wrote:
mmmm when i try your suggestion, it doesn't work :
error from the smtp server
Erreur lors de l'envoi d'un mél. via "172.20.0.2": Issue RCPT TO: command before DATA command

You get this error if no valid receiver is specified. I tried your config file and it worked fine. You need however a recent version of elog (2.6.2-7). Probably you have to upgrade.

Arckonit wrote:
you can remark the commented line
i would like to have one fixed list, so those users will be always alerted, and to be able to add and adress email in the notification attribute, but i really don't know how to do it
thx for any suggestions

You can do that with

Preset Notification = someone@mail.com, someoneelse@mail.com

So Notification gets preset with a pre-defined list, which you can edit before submission.
  65639   Wed Oct 31 22:33:49 2007 Reply Jacky Lizli@phys.hawaii.eduQuestionLinux2.6.1Re: large attachment seems to hang elogd?
Hi,

I am having the same problem with 2.6.4.1 and the latest version. It just hangs and taking a long time to upload multiple of 1.5 to 2 MB attachments...or just one few MB attachment. Hope that's a fix soon.
ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886