Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 715 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Dateup Icon Author Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  69122   Sat Feb 29 06:04:57 2020 Question Johnsecondcomingtechnologies@fastmail.comQuestionLinux | WindowsELOG V3.1.2-bd7How to update date fields so 'alarms' work correctly.

Hi Stefan!

In the user manual under misc it says this: "The elog program makes it possible to submit logbook entries automatically by the system or from scripts. In some shift logbooks this feature is used to enter alarm messages automatically into the logbook. "

Ok what am trying to do is have all messages update (somehow) without the user entering each record. I want my alarm system to be able to keep-up2-date on the expirations, by simply updating the 'date' fields I have in the logbooks (JS). I am getting used to JavaScript, and have all of that working as far as the actual 'alarms' are concerned. But they are useless if the dates are stagnent (ie. not updateing at least once per day).

So can you refer me to the 'shift books' you reference above, so I can understand how to write the code necessary? I've spend much time searching the net on this and experimenting, so I did try to find out before I posted. I believe using a combination of the Elog Utility, with a dedicated 'start page' that is mostly JS, will be part of the solution...

Thanks soo much for your help and awesome creation! :)

John

69123   Fri Mar 13 16:38:53 2020 Reply Sebastian Schenksebastian.schenk@physik.uni-halle.deQuestionLinux | WindowsELOG V3.1.2-bd7Re: How to update date fields so 'alarms' work correctly.

Dear John,

I am a user of the elog system and no developer, so no complete answer guaranteed.

The quote of the manual describes the case, if e.g. an hardware component discovers a failure and the connected PC makes an automatic (new) entry to the elog. Probably modifying an existing one.

I have small concerns on your solution. The description of your alarm system sounds the other ways around, as you are doing something, depending on the elog entries. Based on your statement on JS and dedicated start page, you want to do it on client-side and not on the server. Where I can see the issue, if there is not client, then there is no alarm. As you want to change the date of the entries, I believe, you want to reuse the same entries multiple (infinite?) times instead of creating new ones. The later would be the style of an logging software like elog.

As far as I know, the Date attribute is special and cannot be changed by submitting something to the elog server. as this would make "Restrict edit time" useless. You can try it with this in your config:
Subst on edit Date = $date
Making an entry and edit it afterwards. The entry time stays the same.
If you really want to use this attribute, you have to do some scripting to the actual saved .log files, but this is not intended as I believe.

What you can do, is using an alternative attribute like "MDate" with the config:
Subst MDate = $date
Subst on edit MDate = $date
This will update every time you edit the entry.
Then you probably want to add something like this to your config
List display = ID, MDate, Author, ...

Or "Update" using the duplicate function on the old entry, where you want to change the date, creating a new one with the same content.
Or "Update" using the reply function to create a new entry, referring to the old one.

I hope, I could help.
Best wishes,
Sebastian

John wrote:

Hi Stefan!

In the user manual under misc it says this: "The elog program makes it possible to submit logbook entries automatically by the system or from scripts. In some shift logbooks this feature is used to enter alarm messages automatically into the logbook. "

Ok what am trying to do is have all messages update (somehow) without the user entering each record. I want my alarm system to be able to keep-up2-date on the expirations, by simply updating the 'date' fields I have in the logbooks (JS). I am getting used to JavaScript, and have all of that working as far as the actual 'alarms' are concerned. But they are useless if the dates are stagnent (ie. not updateing at least once per day).

So can you refer me to the 'shift books' you reference above, so I can understand how to write the code necessary? I've spend much time searching the net on this and experimenting, so I did try to find out before I posted. I believe using a combination of the Elog Utility, with a dedicated 'start page' that is mostly JS, will be part of the solution...

John

69124   Fri Mar 13 18:34:30 2020 Reply Johnsecondcomingtechnologies@fastmail.comQuestionLinux | WindowsELOG V3.1.2-bd7Re: How to update date fields so 'alarms' work correctly.

Hi Sebastian!

Thank you soo much for your kind response. You are correct in all of your assumptions as to what I want to do (or not do!). Everything should be on clients side, and I want the date to be updated in each record, daily, or hourly, in order to allow the 'alarm' system I created to be able to give notice (a pop up ,or whatever) when the time as passed, for whatever time/date the user set the alarm for.

I believe this has been asked in general in the past and  suggetions were to have the data updated in onther program (spreadsheet) or whatever, as you implied, by changing the database directly (log files). This is not the way I want to do, even though I realize it would accomplish this task. I want to just use Elog and probably JS.

I will try your ideas and when I am done (successful or not!) I will report my findings back here :)

John

Sebastian Schenk wrote:

Dear John,

I am a user of the elog system and no developer, so no complete answer guaranteed.

The quote of the manual describes the case, if e.g. an hardware component discovers a failure and the connected PC makes an automatic (new) entry to the elog. Probably modifying an existing one.

I have small concerns on your solution. The description of your alarm system sounds the other ways around, as you are doing something, depending on the elog entries. Based on your statement on JS and dedicated start page, you want to do it on client-side and not on the server. Where I can see the issue, if there is not client, then there is no alarm. As you want to change the date of the entries, I believe, you want to reuse the same entries multiple (infinite?) times instead of creating new ones. The later would be the style of an logging software like elog.

As far as I know, the Date attribute is special and cannot be changed by submitting something to the elog server. as this would make "Restrict edit time" useless. You can try it with this in your config:
Subst on edit Date = $date
Making an entry and edit it afterwards. The entry time stays the same.
If you really want to use this attribute, you have to do some scripting to the actual saved .log files, but this is not intended as I believe.

What you can do, is using an alternative attribute like "MDate" with the config:
Subst MDate = $date
Subst on edit MDate = $date
This will update every time you edit the entry.
Then you probably want to add something like this to your config
List display = ID, MDate, Author, ...

Or "Update" using the duplicate function on the old entry, where you want to change the date, creating a new one with the same content.
Or "Update" using the reply function to create a new entry, referring to the old one.

I hope, I could help.
Best wishes,
Sebastian

John wrote:

Hi Stefan!

John

69125   Fri Mar 20 14:07:59 2020 Question Gianluca Rigolettigianluca.rigoletti@cern.chQuestionLinux | All3.1.3-7933898How does attributes substitution work?

Hello,

Let's say I have a logboook where I define two attributes:

[TOTEM]
Comment = TOTEM Gas System Status
Attributes = Author, D, M, Y, h, min, ...

I would like to modify the "Last submission" so that I display something like %D/%M/%Y, %h:%min

so in my elogd.cfg I added this line:

Last submission = $D / $M / $Y , $h : $min by $Author

however, when display in the selection page instead of getting $min displayed i get the attribute $M+'in' displayed. How does attributes substitution work? is it case unsensitive? how does it behave when different attributes starts with the same name?

69126   Fri Mar 20 14:24:28 2020 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux | All3.1.3-7933898Re: How does attributes substitution work?

There could be a bug which is triggered by the fact that $M is a substring of $min. Try to rename $M to $Month or so.

Stefan

Gianluca Rigoletti wrote:

Hello,

Let's say I have a logboook where I define two attributes:

[TOTEM]
Comment = TOTEM Gas System Status
Attributes = Author, D, M, Y, h, min, ...

I would like to modify the "Last submission" so that I display something like %D/%M/%Y, %h:%min

so in my elogd.cfg I added this line:

Last submission = $D / $M / $Y , $h : $min by $Author

however, when display in the selection page instead of getting $min displayed i get the attribute $M+'in' displayed. How does attributes substitution work? is it case unsensitive? how does it behave when different attributes starts with the same name?

69127   Sun Mar 29 13:30:09 2020 Idea Sunilkumarsunilanaveri@gmail.comQuestionWindows3.14How to add bulk client list at once

Please let me know how to add Button for adding client next to Client Mnemonics.

I need to add bulk client lists in the Elog page there are 1000+ clients  .

I need to select client from the drop down list if its not there i need to add them using Add Client Button 

Please let me know the steps.

Attachment 1: Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg
  69128   Wed Apr 1 12:29:47 2020 Question MATT TERRONmatao11235@gmail.comQuestionLinux | Windows3.14email notification fail to retrieve images in the text

When I use the email notification for an entry with images in the text, it seems the email server cannot retrieve the image. When I inspected the URL of the image it went to the login page.

Is that because the logbook has a password config that the access from the URL of the image needs authentication?    Or I am just using the image upload the wrong way .

Attachment 1: email_notification_problem.png
email_notification_problem.png
  69129   Wed Apr 1 13:01:39 2020 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux | Windows3.14Re: email notification fail to retrieve images in the text

First thing you want to try is to upgrade elog to the last version. Older versions have problems in including images.

Then you want to check the "Email Format" in your elogd.cfg configuration file. Only if "16" is included there, then attachments are sent as email attachments and images will be included in yoru email. If not, only a link of the image is included in your email, and you correctly realized that you then cannot view the image because your email client does not knwo how to authenticate itself at the elog server.

Stefan

MATT TERRON wrote:

When I use the email notification for an entry with images in the text, it seems the email server cannot retrieve the image. When I inspected the URL of the image it went to the login page.

Is that because the logbook has a password config that the access from the URL of the image needs authentication?    Or I am just using the image upload the wrong way .

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886