Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 717 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Categorydown OS ELOG Version Subject
  68116   Wed Sep 16 02:47:33 2015 Question Joseph McKennajoseph.mckenna@cern.chBug reportLinux2.9.0(elogd)elog client overwriting attached files when editing existing log

Using the elog client to upload atachments, I can successfully send attachments to an existing elog, however the existing attachments are lost.

I have tested using the elog client version 3.1.1 and elog client version 2.9.2 sending to elogd 2.9.0

elog -h localhost -p 8080 -l test -f  file1.png -f file2.png -e 249 -v -x

This works great, the text contained in the elog post is retained, however all attachments are lost and replaced with those sent by this command.

Can anyone provide some tips? I am not sure if its a problem with the client or server.

Thank you in advance!

Joseph

Draft   Mon Sep 21 10:14:50 2015 Reply Edmund Hertleedmund.hertle@kit.eduBug reportLinux2.9.0(elogd)Re: elog client overwriting attached files when editing existing log

Hey,

I think this is a "problem" of the elog client, since it simply replaces the data. In most cases this is what you want, but since I wanted to have the option to append to the acutal message I built a function to first read-back the entry and add to the message instead of replacing it.

I just played around a bit and found that the attachments will be even disconnected, if you do not specify the -f parameter but just edit a different part of this entry.

A work-around for this is tricky. I tried to write to the "Attachment" attribute directly (-a "Attachment=Filename'), since then you coud read back the data first and manually add the filenames again. But this does not work.

Since the attachments are not actually removed, the only option I see is to modify the logbook file entry on the server by manually re-adding the filenames to the "Attachment: " line. But 

Joseph McKenna wrote:

Using the elog client to upload atachments, I can successfully send attachments to an existing elog, however the existing attachments are lost.

I have tested using the elog client version 3.1.1 and elog client version 2.9.2 sending to elogd 2.9.0

This works great, the text contained in the elog post is retained, however all attachments are lost and replaced with those sent by this command.

Can anyone provide some tips? I am not sure if its a problem with the client or server.

Thank you in advance!

Joseph

68118   Mon Sep 21 10:48:31 2015 Reply Edmund Hertleedmund.hertle@kit.eduBug reportLinux2.9.0(elogd)Re: elog client overwriting attached files when editing existing log

Hey,

I think this is a "problem" of the elog client, since it simply replaces the data. In most cases this is what you want, but since I wanted to have the option to append to the acutal message I built a function to first read-back the entry and add to the message instead of replacing it.

I just played around a bit and found that the attachments will be even disconnected, if you do not specify the -f parameter but just edit a different part of this entry.

A work-around for this is tricky. I tried to write to the "Attachment" attribute directly (-a "Attachment=Filename'), since then you coud read back the data first and manually add the filenames again. But this does not work.

Since the attachments are not actually removed, the only option I see is to modify the logbook file entry on the server by manually re-adding the filenames to the "Attachment: " line.

Joseph McKenna wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Joseph

68129   Mon Sep 28 06:29:57 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chBug reportAll3.1.1Re: Creating ELog Links not working properly in HTML Editor

I can confirm this bug.

But I don't think this has to work as you've described it, when using the HTML editor: if you use HTML, you can use the link feature of the editor.
But that link feature does currently not work at all with internal elog references, not even a simple elog:1">elog:1 (as you can see here). I suppose there is some more work to do for Stefan on that ;-)

Cheers, Andreas
Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey,

the syntax for creating links to other elog entries has a small issue in the HTML editor. The link will not be created properly if there are whitespaces in the name of the logbook. Using ELCode (or in a simple attribute field) the whitespaces can be replaced by "+", but this does not work in the HTML editor. The work-around would be to use ELCode mark-up instead of HTML.

Example 1 (this should work): elog:Contributions/47

Example 2 (this will not work): elog:Config+Examples/11

Example 3 (will also not work): elog:Config%20Examples/11

68132   Mon Sep 28 12:05:04 2015 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chBug reportAll3.1.1Re: Creating ELog Links not working properly in HTML Editor

Right, spaces won't work. But others work. Andreas, if you just put elog:1 without any link etc. just as plain text, it will be converted automatically into a link.

A workaround is to explicitly specify a link to an elog entry. Press the link button from the editor toolbar, enter a name and copy the full URL from the browser address bar, like here: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68129. If you switch to "Source" (Top left editor toolbar, you can changed the link name manually, like here.

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

I can confirm this bug.

But I don't think this has to work as you've described it, when using the HTML editor: if you use HTML, you can use the link feature of the editor.
But that link feature does currently not work at all with internal elog references, not even a simple elog:1">elog:1 (as you can see here). I suppose there is some more work to do for Stefan on that ;-)

Cheers, Andreas
Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey,

the syntax for creating links to other elog entries has a small issue in the HTML editor. The link will not be created properly if there are whitespaces in the name of the logbook. Using ELCode (or in a simple attribute field) the whitespaces can be replaced by "+", but this does not work in the HTML editor. The work-around would be to use ELCode mark-up instead of HTML.

68133   Tue Sep 29 08:50:30 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chBug reportAll3.1.1Re: Creating ELog Links not working properly in HTML Editor
Hi Stefan,
yes, I know that a plain text "elog:1" works in the HTML editor, too.
But if you put "elog:1" in the URL field of the link dialog, then ELOG screws up: you get the text
and the link points to link type "URL", protocol "<other>", URL "1".
Or more precisely, the HTML source looks like the following:
   <a href="1">elog.1</a>&quot;&gt;<a href="1">elog.1</a>
(I've replaced ":" by "." here in the source, to avoid another iteration of links by ELOG).
That is not what I would have expected:
either it should have been remained unchanged, or it should point to the right URL of the entry elog:1 (the latter case preferred :-).

Cheers, Andreas

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Right, spaces won't work. But others work. Andreas, if you just put elog:1 without any link etc. just as plain text, it will be converted automatically into a link.

A workaround is to explicitly specify a link to an elog entry. Press the link button from the editor toolbar, enter a name and copy the full URL from the browser address bar, like here: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68129. If you switch to "Source" (Top left editor toolbar, you can changed the link name manually, like here.

Andreas Luedeke wrote:

I can confirm this bug.

Cheers, Andreas
Edmund Hertle wrote:

Hey,

68173   Fri Oct 30 18:20:22 2015 Entry Kester Habermannkester.habermann@gmail.comBug reportAll3.1.1restrict edit time and autosave

Hello,

When using restrict edit time together with autosave, there is the following problem: The counter for restrict edit time seems to start after the autosave. If the time is up, it is no longer possible to submit the report.
It is also not possble to edit old drafts if restrict edit has elapsed since the creation of the save.
Autosave is definitively a nice new feature. However, I think it would be better if the counter for restrict edit time only started after the "submit" of the report and allowed edits to drafts no matter how old they are. As it is one needs to either set a really high value for restrict edit time or turn off autosave.
The issue seems to be related to: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68103

Regards

Kester

68176   Mon Nov 2 08:41:20 2015 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chBug reportAll3.1.1Re: restrict edit time and autosave
Hi Kester,
yes, I did run into the same problem, that I could not even delete old drafts due to our restrict edit time.
We allow anonymous submissions in our operation logbooks. After a while drafts of unsubmitted messages just pile up; and I need to remove them as administrator.
While I can do that easily for anonymous drafts, I cannot do that for drafts of other users: I don't easily see those drafts.
It would be really nice, if drafts would be handled different then other entries regarding "Restrict edit time" as you've suggested.
Cheers, Andreas
Kester Habermann wrote:

Hello,

When using restrict edit time together with autosave, there is the following problem: The counter for restrict edit time seems to start after the autosave. If the time is up, it is no longer possible to submit the report.
It is also not possble to edit old drafts if restrict edit has elapsed since the creation of the save.
Autosave is definitively a nice new feature. However, I think it would be better if the counter for restrict edit time only started after the "submit" of the report and allowed edits to drafts no matter how old they are. As it is one needs to either set a really high value for restrict edit time or turn off autosave.
The issue seems to be related to: https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68103

Regards

Kester

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886