Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 769 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Categoryup OS ELOG Version Subject
  66252   Mon Mar 16 22:53:22 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.7.5-2130Re: Adding texts for each attachment

Dongwook Jang wrote:

Dear Stefan,

First of all, I appreciate that you made such a nice program. I've used elog for more than 5 years and it was wonderful experince to me and my research work was very productive with this.

I have a suggestion to you to improve this while I was using elog. If users can add texts or comments for each attachment, it will be great.

I am not sure if someone was already suggested this or it is already in your wish list.

Thank you.

Dongwook Jang

Dear Dongwook,

no, this is not implemented and also was never requested. The way most people work is that images are included directly in the text, and the the text goes along with that.

So for example if I want to show you the ELOG logo, I put it here: elog.png 

If I want to add a comment for an attachment, I write it in the text and just refence the attachment with link. This way is more flexible that adding just a line of text to each attachment, since you can write several lines in the text, make a table etc. etc.

66253   Tue Mar 17 02:05:08 2009 Reply Dongwook Jangdwjang@fnal.govRequestLinux2.7.5-2130Re: Adding texts for each attachment

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Dongwook Jang wrote:

Dear Stefan,

First of all, I appreciate that you made such a nice program. I've used elog for more than 5 years and it was wonderful experince to me and my research work was very productive with this.

I have a suggestion to you to improve this while I was using elog. If users can add texts or comments for each attachment, it will be great.

I am not sure if someone was already suggested this or it is already in your wish list.

Thank you.

Dongwook Jang

Dear Dongwook,

no, this is not implemented and also was never requested. The way most people work is that images are included directly in the text, and the the text goes along with that.

So for example if I want to show you the ELOG logo, I put it here: elog.png 

If I want to add a comment for an attachment, I write it in the text and just refence the attachment with link. This way is more flexible that adding just a line of text to each attachment, since you can write several lines in the text, make a table etc. etc.

Dear Stefan,

Maybe I used elog with very inefficient way so far. The way you suggested requires putting figures somewhere else, right?

Elog saves attachments on the machine that elog is running. I want to store figures in elog.

The logo you showed above is stored in this entry?

Thank you.

Dongwook Jang

66254   Wed Mar 18 04:23:41 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.7.5-2130Re: Adding texts for each attachment
Dongwook Jang wrote:

Dear Stefan,

Maybe I used elog with very inefficient way so far. The way you suggested requires putting figures somewhere else, right?

Elog saves attachments on the machine that elog is running. I want to store figures in elog.

The logo you showed above is stored in this entry?

Thank you.

Dongwook Jang

If you embed an image (via the "insert image" button in the task bar) this image is stored as an attachment, but the actualy attachment is hidden and the image is shown in-line. Yes, it is stored on the server where elogd runs. 

66267   Tue Mar 24 15:14:28 2009 Reply Devin Bougiedab66@lepp.cornell.eduRequestLinux2.7.5Re: frequent crashes on SL4
Indeed, uploading images over a satellite connection does not crash the development ELOG server available from SVN.  Our user was unable to 
crash 
elogd (or upload an image) and reports "The upload window would complain about an "upstream server", but the site was still there."

Thank you very much for your time and help (with both of the issues reported in this thread).

Sincerely,
Devin
  66291   Thu Apr 9 10:39:34 2009 Idea W.KosterW.Koster@rug.nlRequestLinux | OtherV2.7.5-213conditional attributes
I'm (ab)using elog as a database and would like to use conditional attributes, like:

Attributes = PC Name, Operating System, Version, Distribution
Options Operating System = Linux{1}, Windows{2}
{1} Show Attributes Edit = Operating System, Distribution, PC Name
{2} Show Attributes Edit = Operating System, PC Name, Version

Problem is that there are several conditions and the list of attributes is rather long. Also, since it's a
rather dynamic environment I have to make new attributes all the time, and adding them to all "show attributes"
 lists is not only tedious, but bound to cause errors as well.

So... 

I was thinking, would it be an idea to make the list of attributes to be shown or hidden on a per attribute base.

Like:

Attributes = PC Name, Operating System, Version, Distribution

# hide specific attributes
Hide attributes = Distribution, PC Name

# or configure which fields should be shown allways
Show Attributes = Operating System, Version

# add attributes based on OS
Options Operating System = Linux{1}, Windows{2}
{1} Show Attribute Edit = Distribution
{2} Show Attribute Edit = PC Name

(just thinking out loud here).
  66292   Thu Apr 9 10:52:29 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux | OtherV2.7.5-213Re: conditional attributes
> I'm (ab)using elog as a database and would like to use conditional attributes, like:
> 
> Attributes = PC Name, Operating System, Version, Distribution
> Options Operating System = Linux{1}, Windows{2}
> {1} Show Attributes Edit = Operating System, Distribution, PC Name
> {2} Show Attributes Edit = Operating System, PC Name, Version
> 
> Problem is that there are several conditions and the list of attributes is rather long. Also, since it's a
> rather dynamic environment I have to make new attributes all the time, and adding them to all "show attributes"
>  lists is not only tedious, but bound to cause errors as well.
>  
> 
> So... 
> 
> I was thinking, would it be an idea to make the list of attributes to be shown or hidden on a per attribute base.
> 
>  
> 
> Like:
> 
> Attributes = PC Name, Operating System, Version, Distribution
> 
> # hide specific attributes
> Hide attributes = Distribution, PC Name
> 
> # or configure which fields should be shown allways
> Show Attributes = Operating System, Version
> 
> # add attributes based on OS
> Options Operating System = Linux{1}, Windows{2}
> {1} Show Attribute Edit = Distribution
> {2} Show Attribute Edit = PC Name
> 
> (just thinking out loud here).

Sure such a think can be implemented, but I have no time right now to do so. I will put it on the wish list.
  66387   Wed Jun 10 09:16:55 2009 Idea Steve WilliamsonStephenWilliamson@Barnsley.gov.ukRequestLinux2.7.6Formatting list page data

Thanks for a great piece of software - it does so much and is (mostly) so simple to use.  However, I do have a suggestion that (for me, at least) would make it even better -

I use elog for a variety of logging tasks but find that, because I want to see as complete a summary as possible, the list page can get very crowded with longer fields wrapping over several lines.  I would like to have more control over the way attributes are displayed here.  Specifically, being able to truncate data (e.g. to show just the first n characters of a description), being able to select a substring (e.g. displaying characters before the '@' character to remove the domain from an email address or displaying characters after the space to remove the day from a date in ddd dd/mm/yy format) and being able to concatenate fields (e.g. to show a reference in a single cell as "Incident 1234" by joining call type and call reference attributes).

regards

Steve

66400   Wed Jun 17 03:46:31 2009 Warning soren poulsensoren.poulsen@cern.chRequestLinux2.7.6Denial of access after failed import using invalid attributes

Hi,

A user tried to import a CSV file, which caused e-log to add a field called "date" to the list of attributes (and then crash). This caused the log-book to be blocked until someone (guess who) would go edit the elogd.cfg file and then trigger a reload.

1. suggestion : E-log should not crash in this case

2. suggestion: E-log should not allow invalid attributes to be added via CSV Import, which causes the log-book to be blocked.

For the time being, I will just  "Deny import" (by the way, the doc says it is "Deny CSV import", but I think the syntax is "Deny import". Not really important.

I think this should be quite easy to reproduce.

Thanks a lot

Soren

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886