Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 770 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Icon Author Author Email Categoryup OS ELOG Version Subject
  66419   Thu Jun 25 15:02:55 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestLinux2.7.6Re: Formatting list page data

Steve Williamson wrote:

Thanks for a great piece of software - it does so much and is (mostly) so simple to use.  However, I do have a suggestion that (for me, at least) would make it even better -

I use elog for a variety of logging tasks but find that, because I want to see as complete a summary as possible, the list page can get very crowded with longer fields wrapping over several lines.  I would like to have more control over the way attributes are displayed here.  Specifically, being able to truncate data (e.g. to show just the first n characters of a description), being able to select a substring (e.g. displaying characters before the '@' character to remove the domain from an email address or displaying characters after the space to remove the day from a date in ddd dd/mm/yy format) and being able to concatenate fields (e.g. to show a reference in a single cell as "Incident 1234" by joining call type and call reference attributes).

regards

Steve

Something along these lines is however not implemented (and hard to do). The only chance you have is to export your data into a spreadsheet and do the reformatting/report generation there. 

66426   Fri Jun 26 14:34:58 2009 Reply Steve WilliamsonStephenWilliamson@Barnsley.gov.ukRequestLinux2.7.6Re: Formatting list page data

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Steve Williamson wrote:

Thanks for a great piece of software - it does so much and is (mostly) so simple to use.  However, I do have a suggestion that (for me, at least) would make it even better -

I use elog for a variety of logging tasks but find that, because I want to see as complete a summary as possible, the list page can get very crowded with longer fields wrapping over several lines.  I would like to have more control over the way attributes are displayed here.  Specifically, being able to truncate data (e.g. to show just the first n characters of a description), being able to select a substring (e.g. displaying characters before the '@' character to remove the domain from an email address or displaying characters after the space to remove the day from a date in ddd dd/mm/yy format) and being able to concatenate fields (e.g. to show a reference in a single cell as "Incident 1234" by joining call type and call reference attributes).

regards

Steve

Something along these lines is however not implemented (and hard to do). The only chance you have is to export your data into a spreadsheet and do the reformatting/report generation there. 

Thanks for looking at the suggestion - it was only a 'nice to have', whereas elog is an essential!

regards

66494   Wed Aug 5 19:05:01 2009 Question Dennis Seitzdseitz@berkeley.eduRequestAll2.7.6alphabetize Quick Filter items?

Hi Stefan,

I'd like to request a feature: automatic alphabetization of the items in the Quick Filter menus.

We track quite a few detector assemblies, which are produced with non-sequential designations. It would be useful if the Quick Filter list was automatically sorted alphabetically to make it more convenient for folks to find a particular item.

I know people can always search by designation but it would be handy to have this alpha sorting feature. Would it be possible to include that in a future release?

Thanks again for a *very* useful logging system!

Dennis

66495   Thu Aug 6 08:00:22 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestAll2.7.6Re: alphabetize Quick Filter items?

Dennis Seitz wrote:

Hi Stefan,

I'd like to request a feature: automatic alphabetization of the items in the Quick Filter menus.

We track quite a few detector assemblies, which are produced with non-sequential designations. It would be useful if the Quick Filter list was automatically sorted alphabetically to make it more convenient for folks to find a particular item.

I know people can always search by designation but it would be handy to have this alpha sorting feature. Would it be possible to include that in a future release?

Dennis

The order of items in a Quick Filter menu is exactly as in the configuration file. Like if you have items

Options Type = C, D, A, B

they are shown like that in the quick filter menu. If you want to sort them, just do the sorting yourself in the configuration file like

Options Type = A, B, C, D

I have not implemented automatic sorting since some people want a different order, like some main topics at top. So by following the order from the configuration file, everybody can be satisfied just by chaning the order in the config file.

- Stefan 

66502   Fri Aug 7 23:09:42 2009 Reply Dennis Seitzdseitz@berkeley.eduRequestAll2.7.6Re: alphabetize Quick Filter items?

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Dennis Seitz wrote:

Hi Stefan,

Dennis

The order of items in a Quick Filter menu is exactly as in the configuration file. Like if you have items

they are shown like that in the quick filter menu. If you want to sort them, just do the sorting yourself in the configuration file like

I have not implemented automatic sorting since some people want a different order, like some main topics at top. So by following the order from the configuration file, everybody can be satisfied just by chaning the order in the config file.

- Stefan 

Yes, I have been manually sorting and resorting. We have extendable attributes and the list keeps growing so I have to resort every so often. I thought perhaps a simple alphanumeric sort as an option would be popular with most users so I thought I'd ask for it. It would really simplify things for me. Users who want to sort manually could do so by disabling the option. It never hurts to ask!

66503   Mon Aug 10 17:14:48 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestAll2.7.6Re: alphabetize Quick Filter items?

Dennis Seitz wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Dennis Seitz wrote:

Hi Stefan,

Dennis

- Stefan 

Yes, I have been manually sorting and resorting. We have extendable attributes and the list keeps growing so I have to resort every so often. I thought perhaps a simple alphanumeric sort as an option would be popular with most users so I thought I'd ask for it. It would really simplify things for me. Users who want to sort manually could do so by disabling the option. It never hurts to ask!

Ok, I implemented

Sort attribute options = 1

in the current SVN revision. 

66507   Tue Aug 11 08:10:21 2009 Idea Alan Grantnetman311@mts.netRequestWindows2.6.5List Option

Hello Stefan.

Currently this is defined as a maximum of 100 literals in the cfg file. I would like to see the option to reference an external text file as input for this. 

As a side question, I would also like to increase the max to a greater value, for example, even 5000. I assume I can change the source (I recall var was something like "List_Option_Max") and see if that would still work, but would you know offhand if that would cause a problem anywhere else?

Regards,

Alan

(PS: Just getting started with ELog. Please excuse if these questions sound newbie. I also searched the Forum first but haven't found any answers to them yet.)

66509   Tue Aug 11 08:33:32 2009 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chRequestWindows2.6.5Re: List Option

Alan Grant wrote:

Currently this is defined as a maximum of 100 literals in the cfg file. I would like to see the option to reference an external text file as input for this. 

I will put this on the wish list. 

Alan Grant wrote:

As a side question, I would also like to increase the max to a greater value, for example, even 5000. I assume I can change the source (I recall var was something like "List_Option_Max") and see if that would still work, but would you know offhand if that would cause a problem anywhere else?

I limited this to 100 entries because it will be hard to handle it. Imagine a drop-down list box with 5000 entries. It would fill your complete screen and you still won't see all 5000 entries. In that case it might be better to use a free text field and enter the attribute value as free text.

You can increase MAX_N_LIST in elogd.c, but at some point you will get a stack overflow and elogd will just crash.

- Stefan

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886