DRS4 Forum
  DRS4 Discussion Forum, Page 4 of 40  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Authorup Subject
  441   Mon Jul 20 09:25:38 2015 Chenfei YangMeasure the time between different samples
Hi,
  I have a question using a data acquisition card base on DRS4 chip. How can I measure the time between several samples of one channel,with the accuracy of like nanoseconds , for I am using the internal trigger. Is there any complete work about this problem?
  One conceivable way is using an global counter in FPGA, but I'm wondering how to synch the counter with the DRS4 sampling.
  Thanks.
Chenfei Yang
  357   Fri Jun 27 11:23:19 2014 ChengMing Dudrsosc binary to cern ROOT file conversion

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Luka Pavelic wrote:

Thank you for your fast and very helpful replay.

I made it work with drsosc version 4 but with version 5 i am getting weird results. Is it possible that they changed binary formatting?

 

Yes, but this is documented in the evaluation board manual. You have to modify the script slightly. I will update it myself in about 2-3 weeks.

Cheers,

Stefan

 hi Stefan,can you update the code to convert binary to root for newest drsosc?Thanks.

  451   Wed Nov 25 02:52:35 2015 Chris ThompsonPC software beyond Windows 7

I am new to this forum. I have ordered a DRS4 evaluation board for doing experiments with very fast PET detectors. It has not arrived yet. The version of the manual I downloaded today shows software  installation instructions for Windows 7 and earlier versions. I intend to use it on a 64bit PC running Windows 8.1. Will the Windows 7 driver work, or is there an updated version for Windows 8 or 10?

  453   Wed Nov 25 17:36:25 2015 Chris ThompsonPC software beyond Windows 7

I tried this suggestion of changing the startup settings to ingore driver license signing (as suggested in the post # 434), but when I tried to install the software I got a error message which I captured from the screen and I have attached. Perhaps I have the wrong version, or, as suggested, the file I downloaded from your site is incomplete?

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Have a look here elog:434

Chris Thompson wrote:

I am new to this forum. I have ordered a DRS4 evaluation board for doing experiments with very fast PET detectors. It has not arrived yet. The version of the manual I downloaded today shows software  installation instructions for Windows 7 and earlier versions. I intend to use it on a 64bit PC running Windows 8.1. Will the Windows 7 driver work, or is there an updated version for Windows 8 or 10?

 

 

Attachment 1: Installation_failure_screen.jpg
Installation_failure_screen.jpg
  455   Sat Dec 5 02:39:20 2015 Chris ThompsonPC software beyond Windows 7

I tried restarting Windows 10 in a way the allowed me to use "advanced startup options" Option 7 suggested it was to restart without mandatory driver signing. However, the error persists. Has anyone tested this latest version 5.0.4 on Windows 10? My hardware arrived today, and I am anxious to test it.!!!!

Chris Thompson wrote:

I tried this suggestion of changing the startup settings to ingore driver license signing (as suggested in the post # 434), but when I tried to install the software I got a error message which I captured from the screen and I have attached. Perhaps I have the wrong version, or, as suggested, the file I downloaded from your site is incomplete?

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Have a look here elog:434

Chris Thompson wrote:

I am new to this forum. I have ordered a DRS4 evaluation board for doing experiments with very fast PET detectors. It has not arrived yet. The version of the manual I downloaded today shows software  installation instructions for Windows 7 and earlier versions. I intend to use it on a 64bit PC running Windows 8.1. Will the Windows 7 driver work, or is there an updated version for Windows 8 or 10?

 

 

 

  456   Sat Dec 5 03:21:21 2015 Chris ThompsonPC software beyond Windows 7

On a hunch, I tried downloading V 5.0.3 instead. This works, and I now have the oscilloscope mode displaying signals! (just to make sure, I re-tire version 5.0.4 and still get the same error. So, in summary V 5.0.3 seems to install successfully and work with Windows 10, but the newer V5.0.4 does not install... I assmume that I am missing something though, as the newer version is 10 Mbytes bigger!

Chris Thompson wrote:

I tried restarting Windows 10 in a way the allowed me to use "advanced startup options" Option 7 suggested it was to restart without mandatory driver signing. However, the error persists. Has anyone tested this latest version 5.0.4 on Windows 10? My hardware arrived today, and I am anxious to test it.!!!!

Chris Thompson wrote:

I tried this suggestion of changing the startup settings to ingore driver license signing (as suggested in the post # 434), but when I tried to install the software I got a error message which I captured from the screen and I have attached. Perhaps I have the wrong version, or, as suggested, the file I downloaded from your site is incomplete?

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Have a look here elog:434

Chris Thompson wrote:

I am new to this forum. I have ordered a DRS4 evaluation board for doing experiments with very fast PET detectors. It has not arrived yet. The version of the manual I downloaded today shows software  installation instructions for Windows 7 and earlier versions. I intend to use it on a 64bit PC running Windows 8.1. Will the Windows 7 driver work, or is there an updated version for Windows 8 or 10?

 

 

 

 

  475   Thu Jan 14 21:49:37 2016 Chris ThompsonTriggering of DRS4 in the fastest sampling mode

I am attempting to use the DRS4 to measure the timing resolution of a pair of SensL silicon photomultipliers (SiPM). In order to do this I need to trigger the DRS4 only when there is a coincidence between the two input signals, and hopefully make histograms of the relative detection times of each detector.

There are two completely separate issues. (1) I think this may just be a labelling error. In the first image (OR_mode_selected) one can clearly see two pulses which are very similar. In this mode, both signals are present, and are always present. I think this should be the "AND", not "OR" of the two signals. Contrast this with the second image where I have selected "AND_mode". Clearly only one signal is present, and either signal trigges an event, so this should be "OR", not "AND"

The second issue is, for me, much more serious. I want to sample the leading edge of this event in order to determine its "time". The little "T" at the top of each image is, I believe the "trigger point" in the first two images. However, this is well after the part of the signal I am interested in. The first two images were at 2 GigaSamples/sec. The third is at 5 GigaSamples/sec. Clearly the event I am interested in processing is over by then. At the lower sampling rate, I can see well before the "T", but at the higher one I can only see after the "T". I had built an external "coincidence circuit" and the "external trigger mode" hoping to to circumvent this issue by using very long cables to delay the signals inut to the DRS4, But even then I have not been successful in getting the to work.

I am using version 5.0.3 on a PC as the version released after that did not work.

I hope some can help!

Chris Thompson

Attachment 1: OR_mode_selected.jpg
OR_mode_selected.jpg
Attachment 2: AND_mode_selected.jpg
AND_mode_selected.jpg
Attachment 3: 20ns_per_div.jpg
20ns_per_div.jpg
  492   Thu Mar 31 20:48:00 2016 Chris ThompsonTrigger on the And of a positive and negative signal

I needed a fast pulse inverter in order to feed signals from the recent SensL SiPMs into a conventional CFD which only accepted negative signals. I got a very small ferite torridal transformer from Coilcraft and wired up to invert signals then inserted into in 50 ohm coax cable and it works fine. These things cost only a few cents each!

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

Thanks, that looks just fine.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Here is one (SI 100): https://www.picoquant.com/products/category/accessories/adapters-splitters-cables-various-accessories-for-photon-counting-setups

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

Ok, thanks!  do you know an easy in-line inverter like mini-circuit or digikey?    Can also redesign the detector I gues to produce positive signals, just it might be easier if there was a simple inverter if you are aware of? thanks Abaz

Stefan Ritt wrote:

No. You have to use an inverter for one of your signals.

Stefan

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

I would like to be able to trigger in this fashon:  channel 0 > 0.1 and. channel 1< -0.1,  because I have a positive and a negative signal.  Can DRS4 (5) Eval board do this kind of trigger?

Thanks!

Abaz

 

 

 

 

 

  494   Fri Apr 1 22:09:07 2016 Chris ThompsonTrigger on the And of a positive and negative signal

The coilcraft part number is: JA4220-ALB. Iordered two of them and they were sent as free samples. You might want to buy some slightly bigger ones. I found them so small it was very hard to solder the coax cable to the connectors. Since I got them, I managed to damage one as they are quite fragile! In the confirmation email I got there was some contact info which may be useful for you: "For help, contact Victoria Berner at 847-516-5551  vberner@coilcraft.com "  BTW every time I use this forum I'm told that my password is not valid. Each time I reset it according to the "Lost pasword preceedure. Then I can log on again. Its quite annoying.

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

Hi Chris,

 I am looking at Sensl SiPMs as well,  can you send the part number from Coilcraft?

Thanks!

Abaz

Chris Thompson wrote:

I needed a fast pulse inverter in order to feed signals from the recent SensL SiPMs into a conventional CFD which only accepted negative signals. I got a very small ferite torridal transformer from Coilcraft and wired up to invert signals then inserted into in 50 ohm coax cable and it works fine. These things cost only a few cents each!

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

Thanks, that looks just fine.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Here is one (SI 100): https://www.picoquant.com/products/category/accessories/adapters-splitters-cables-various-accessories-for-photon-counting-setups

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

Ok, thanks!  do you know an easy in-line inverter like mini-circuit or digikey?    Can also redesign the detector I gues to produce positive signals, just it might be easier if there was a simple inverter if you are aware of? thanks Abaz

Stefan Ritt wrote:

No. You have to use an inverter for one of your signals.

Stefan

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

I would like to be able to trigger in this fashon:  channel 0 > 0.1 and. channel 1< -0.1,  because I have a positive and a negative signal.  Can DRS4 (5) Eval board do this kind of trigger?

Thanks!

Abaz

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  498   Sun Apr 3 22:10:19 2016 Chris ThompsonTrigger on the And of a positive and negative signal

No there are no other components. I put a photo of the inverter with its cables SMA and one end, BNC at the other. You can see it is very small. I glued the inverter to a piece of thin plywood, and fixed the cables to it before attempting to solder them to the pads on the ferite bead support

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

Thanks again,   this is very useful,  just another question did you put any other passive elements in the circuit for inverting the signal or just simply swaped the transformer connections? 

Chris Thompson wrote:

The coilcraft part number is: JA4220-ALB. Iordered two of them and they were sent as free samples. You might want to buy some slightly bigger ones. I found them so small it was very hard to solder the coax cable to the connectors. Since I got them, I managed to damage one as they are quite fragile! In the confirmation email I got there was some contact info which may be useful for you: "For help, contact Victoria Berner at 847-516-5551  vberner@coilcraft.com "  BTW every time I use this forum I'm told that my password is not valid. Each time I reset it according to the "Lost pasword preceedure. Then I can log on again. Its quite annoying.

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

Hi Chris,

 I am looking at Sensl SiPMs as well,  can you send the part number from Coilcraft?

Thanks!

Abaz

Chris Thompson wrote:

I needed a fast pulse inverter in order to feed signals from the recent SensL SiPMs into a conventional CFD which only accepted negative signals. I got a very small ferite torridal transformer from Coilcraft and wired up to invert signals then inserted into in 50 ohm coax cable and it works fine. These things cost only a few cents each!

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

Thanks, that looks just fine.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Here is one (SI 100): https://www.picoquant.com/products/category/accessories/adapters-splitters-cables-various-accessories-for-photon-counting-setups

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

Ok, thanks!  do you know an easy in-line inverter like mini-circuit or digikey?    Can also redesign the detector I gues to produce positive signals, just it might be easier if there was a simple inverter if you are aware of? thanks Abaz

Stefan Ritt wrote:

No. You have to use an inverter for one of your signals.

Stefan

Abaz Kryemadhi wrote:

I would like to be able to trigger in this fashon:  channel 0 > 0.1 and. channel 1< -0.1,  because I have a positive and a negative signal.  Can DRS4 (5) Eval board do this kind of trigger?

Thanks!

Abaz

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Attachment 1: Pulse_inverter.jpg
Pulse_inverter.jpg
  392   Sun Oct 19 14:36:54 2014 Chris Tullycoverting the xml file format into binary

 Hi,

    Is there a straightforward way to convert the xml file format into the binary format?  I have some runs taken mistakenly with xml.

Best,

Chris

 

  483   Wed Mar 9 09:57:20 2016 Christian DLabView

Hi,

I would like to use the DRS4 board with LabView for fast readout.
Do you know anyone who has written a VI for that?

Thanks,
Christian

  553   Fri Nov 4 17:41:03 2016 Christian FarinaMissing Header

Hello everybody,

I am completely new to this, so please bear with me.

I am trying to install the applications on my laptop. I downloaded and untar-ed the drivers and applications for Linux as described in the evaluation board manual. However, when I do the make, I get the following error:

 

drs-4.0.0$ make
g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Wuninitialized -fno-strict-aliasing -Iinclude -DOS_LINUX -DHAVE_LIBUSB -DUSE_DRS_MUTEX -c src/musbstd.c
In file included from src/musbstd.c:14:0:
include/musbstd.h:17:17: fatal error: usb.h: No such file or directory
 #include <usb.h>
 

Can anybody help me please?

Thanks.

  555   Wed Nov 9 17:19:48 2016 Christian FarinaMissing Header

Thank you Stefan, that was just what I needed.

Also, I have another question, if I am allowed to ask on this forum. I am trying to study how the time calibration of the DRS is done. Can you point me to the script in which this is done?

Thank you,

Christian

Stefan Ritt wrote:

The web page from where you downloaded the software contains a sentence "requires libusb-1.0 package". Please install it. This package brings the "usb.h" header file.

Stefan

Christian Farina wrote:

Hello everybody,

I am completely new to this, so please bear with me.

I am trying to install the applications on my laptop. I downloaded and untar-ed the drivers and applications for Linux as described in the evaluation board manual. However, when I do the make, I get the following error:

 

drs-4.0.0$ make
g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Wuninitialized -fno-strict-aliasing -Iinclude -DOS_LINUX -DHAVE_LIBUSB -DUSE_DRS_MUTEX -c src/musbstd.c
In file included from src/musbstd.c:14:0:
include/musbstd.h:17:17: fatal error: usb.h: No such file or directory
 #include <usb.h>
 

Can anybody help me please?

Thanks.

 

 

  561   Thu Nov 10 20:54:45 2016 Christian FarinaMissing Header

Hi Stefan,

I have already read the paper. I was just unsure where the calibration code was located. Thank you so much for all your help.

Christian

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Best is to read this paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/1405.4975

The source code for that is in DRS.cpp in the DRS software distribution in the function DRSBoard::CalibrateTiming()

Stefan

Christian Farina wrote:

Thank you Stefan, that was just what I needed.

Also, I have another question, if I am allowed to ask on this forum. I am trying to study how the time calibration of the DRS is done. Can you point me to the script in which this is done?

Thank you,

Christian

Stefan Ritt wrote:

The web page from where you downloaded the software contains a sentence "requires libusb-1.0 package". Please install it. This package brings the "usb.h" header file.

Stefan

Christian Farina wrote:

Hello everybody,

I am completely new to this, so please bear with me.

I am trying to install the applications on my laptop. I downloaded and untar-ed the drivers and applications for Linux as described in the evaluation board manual. However, when I do the make, I get the following error:

 

drs-4.0.0$ make
g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Wuninitialized -fno-strict-aliasing -Iinclude -DOS_LINUX -DHAVE_LIBUSB -DUSE_DRS_MUTEX -c src/musbstd.c
In file included from src/musbstd.c:14:0:
include/musbstd.h:17:17: fatal error: usb.h: No such file or directory
 #include <usb.h>
 

Can anybody help me please?

Thanks.

 

 

 

 

  600   Thu Apr 13 16:42:21 2017 Christian FarinaStand-alone Time Calibration for PSI Board

Hello everybody,

I was trying to create a stand-alone program that would perform a time calibration on the board. My goal would be the following.

- acquire  about 10k sinus waveforms

- write them to disk (also for later reanalysis)

- run the time calibration on the recorded data

- store the clibration results in a file / database

Being not an expert, my question here is the following. Would it be easier to try to isolate the time calibration part from the DRS.cpp source code or re-write entirely the code from scratch?

Thanks.

  602   Thu Apr 13 16:54:32 2017 Christian FarinaStand-alone Time Calibration for PSI Board

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your reply. I have read the paper already. I looked through the code and I understand that the LTC and GTC are performed by the AnalyzeSlope and AnalyzePeriod functions, respectively, correct? It seems to me to be a complicated business to re-write that part from scratch, at least for an inexperienced programmer like me. It made more sense to try to isolate that part from the original DRS.cpp. Ideally, I would like to have a stand-alone program that would work on any SCA without references to the drs hardware specifics.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Hard to say. Timing calibration is quite delicate. If you start from scratch, better read this paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/1405.4975

If you try to extract the code from DRS.cpp, better read the paper, too. Probably it will not be possible to develop or extract the code without knowing how it works. 

Best,
Stefan

Christian Farina wrote:

Hello everybody,

I was trying to create a stand-alone program that would perform a time calibration on the board. My goal would be the following.

- acquire  about 10k sinus waveforms

- write them to disk (also for later reanalysis)

- run the time calibration on the recorded data

- store the clibration results in a file / database

Being not an expert, my question here is the following. Would it be easier to try to isolate the time calibration part from the DRS.cpp source code or re-write entirely the code from scratch?

Thanks.

 

 

  604   Thu Apr 13 17:10:58 2017 Christian FarinaStand-alone Time Calibration for PSI Board

Thank you for your help Stefan. I will try to get the TC part isolated.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Than you can try to isolate the code. Note that different SCAs might work differently. Like the DRS4 has a channel-to-channel jitter which others might not. But you will see.

Stefan

Christian Farina wrote:

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your reply. I have read the paper already. I looked through the code and I understand that the LTC and GTC are performed by the AnalyzeSlope and AnalyzePeriod functions, respectively, correct? It seems to me to be a complicated business to re-write that part from scratch, at least for an inexperienced programmer like me. It made more sense to try to isolate that part from the original DRS.cpp. Ideally, I would like to have a stand-alone program that would work on any SCA without references to the drs hardware specifics.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Hard to say. Timing calibration is quite delicate. If you start from scratch, better read this paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/1405.4975

If you try to extract the code from DRS.cpp, better read the paper, too. Probably it will not be possible to develop or extract the code without knowing how it works. 

Best,
Stefan

Christian Farina wrote:

Hello everybody,

I was trying to create a stand-alone program that would perform a time calibration on the board. My goal would be the following.

- acquire  about 10k sinus waveforms

- write them to disk (also for later reanalysis)

- run the time calibration on the recorded data

- store the clibration results in a file / database

Being not an expert, my question here is the following. Would it be easier to try to isolate the time calibration part from the DRS.cpp source code or re-write entirely the code from scratch?

Thanks.

 

 

 

 

  409   Wed May 13 00:52:51 2015 Cosmin DeaconuGetting Trigger Source

I'd like to be able to know which channel (0,1,2,3 or external) was responsible for the trigger.  DRSBoard::GetTriggerSource() seems to always return 1.  Is there a way to get this information?  Using the DRS4 evaluation board and software version 5.0.3.

Thanks,

Cosmin

 

  410   Wed May 13 01:07:36 2015 Cosmin DeaconuDRS4 Evaluation Board + Powered USB Hub

I am trying to use 4 evaluation boards with a powered USB hub (since eventually, I will have to do this on a laptop).  It seems like destroying the DRS object is insufficent to properly close the boards when on the hub (i.e. I get usb read errors next time I run my program). When all the boards are plugged into the computer, all is fine.  This is on Linux using libusb1. My guess is something about resetting the port doesn't work properly (but maybe that's this particular hub's fault?).  Has anyone else experienced a similar issue. If not, can someone recommend a hub that is known to work?

ELOG V3.1.4-80633ba