Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 190 of 236  Not logged in ELOG logo
icon8.gif   Top Groups, Show Top Groups, password file and Protect Selection page have nasty interaction, posted by Chris Green on Fri Aug 5 02:27:15 2005 
Hi,

Just as our ELOG went into production, I tripped over a couple of related (I think) bugs.

First, the easy one: line 21368 of src/elogd.c has a compile warning which looks non-benign. I fixed it in my local copy with:

Index: elogd.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /usr/local/cvsroot/elog/src/elogd.c,v
retrieving revision 1.739
diff -r1.739 elogd.c
21368,21369c21368
< sprintf(str, "?fail=1", user);
< redirect(lbs, str);
---
> redirect(lbs, "?fail=1");

Regardless (ie if I use the original CVS code or the patched version), a hard-to trace problem occurs with my configuration whereby users are denied access after password entry at the logbook selection page (even when details are verifiably correct), and users are dropped through to the next (non-protected) Top Group page. This problem goes away if "Protect Selection Page" is turned off.

A kind of "shadow" of this problem occurs if you create a new logbook from the Change Config File page, whereby after creating the new logbook one is dropped through to the next Top Group's selection page after saving the configuration (and the url has ?fail=1 added to it, althoguh line 21368 above is hardly the only place where this could have occurred).

I think all these things are linked. I'd be grateful if you could review this section of this code for possible causes of these problems. While we can operate for now with non-logged-in users able to see our list of logbooks, that is not something we want for the long term.

Thanks for your help,
Chris.
    icon2.gif   Re: Top Groups, Show Top Groups, password file and Protect Selection page have nasty interaction, posted by Stefan Ritt on Fri Aug 5 12:06:47 2005 

Chris Green wrote:
Index: elogd.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /usr/local/cvsroot/elog/src/elogd.c,v
retrieving revision 1.739
diff -r1.739 elogd.c
21368,21369c21368
< sprintf(str, "?fail=1", user);
< redirect(lbs, str);
---
> redirect(lbs, "?fail=1");

Thanks, applied.

Chris Green wrote:
Regardless (ie if I use the original CVS code or the patched version), a hard-to trace problem occurs with my configuration whereby users are denied access after password entry at the logbook selection page (even when details are verifiably correct), and users are dropped through to the next (non-protected) Top Group page. This problem goes away if "Protect Selection Page" is turned off.

I hope I have fixed this problem, at least it works ok here when I tried with your config file.

One note I would like to make however: "Top groups" were invented for having completely separate logbook groups. Before the invention of top groups, one had to run several instances of elogd for different departments for example, where one department should not see the other department's logbooks. But having many departments means having to maintain many elogd daemons. This led to the invention of top groups, so one daemon can serve several independent groups, each having their own [global] section, with probably their own administrator.

In your case however, it would be more applicable not to use top groups, but use nested groups. Like
Group MiniBooNE = Analysis, Miscellaneous
Group Analysis = Charged Current Pi Plus, Neutral Current Coherent Pions
Group Miscellaneous = demo

I presume this is more what you want, and you can avoid some problems which arise from top groups.

Chris Green wrote:
A kind of "shadow" of this problem occurs if you create a new logbook from the Change Config File page, whereby after creating the new logbook one is dropped through to the next Top Group's selection page after saving the configuration (and the url has ?fail=1 added to it, althoguh line 21368 above is hardly the only place where this could have occurred).

I have not tested this one, but it could well be that the modification I made also fixes this.
       icon7.gif   Re: Top Groups, Show Top Groups, password file and Protect Selection page have nasty interaction, posted by Chris Green on Fri Aug 5 16:15:04 2005 

Stefan Ritt wrote:
One note I would like to make however: "Top groups" were invented for having completely separate logbook groups. Before the invention of top groups, one had to run several instances of elogd for different departments for example, where one department should not see the other department's logbooks. But having many departments means having to maintain many elogd daemons. This led to the invention of top groups, so one daemon can serve several independent groups, each having their own [global] section, with probably their own administrator.

In your case however, it would be more applicable not to use top groups, but use nested groups. Like
Group MiniBooNE = Analysis, Miscellaneous
Group Analysis = Charged Current Pi Plus, Neutral Current Coherent Pions
Group Miscellaneous = demo

I presume this is more what you want, and you can avoid some problems which arise from top groups.

The quick attempt I just made to use this doesn't do what I want, which is to require password protection for the Analysis logbook selection page. If you think that *is* possible and I just didn't configure it properly, I'd appreciate pointers. In the meantime though, your bug fixes appear to have solved my top group / password problem and I think I'll proceed with that for now.

Thanks again,
Chris.
          icon2.gif   Re: Top Groups, Show Top Groups, password file and Protect Selection page have nasty interaction, posted by Stefan Ritt on Fri Aug 5 16:51:02 2005 

Chris Green wrote:
The quick attempt I just made to use this doesn't do what I want, which is to require password protection for the Analysis logbook selection page.

This indeed is not possible and you have to use top groups for that.
icon5.gif   How does RSS interact with password protection?, posted by Chris Green on Fri Aug 5 16:17:00 2005 
Can I have an RSS feed to a protected log book? Does it also require authentication, or does it bypass it? If it bypasses it, how do I disable RSS?

Thanks,
Chris.
    icon2.gif   Re: How does RSS interact with password protection?, posted by Stefan Ritt on Fri Aug 5 16:48:56 2005 

Chris Green wrote:
Can I have an RSS feed to a protected log book? Does it also require authentication, or does it bypass it? If it bypasses it, how do I disable RSS?

Thanks,
Chris.

I added this topic to the FAQs at http://midas.psi.ch/elog/faq.html#15
icon5.gif   Email subject garbaged when set?, posted by Chris Green on Wed Jul 27 17:30:38 2005 
Hi,

So I'm using the CVS version now since I was hoping this would be fixed. If I set the email subject explicitly, viz:

Use Email Subject = [BooNE-ELOG] New submission to $logbook from $Author

The email I get has:

Subject:
=?ISO-8859-1?B?W0Jvb05FLUVMT0ddIE5ldyBzdWJtaXNzaW9uIHRvIENoYXJnZWQgQ3Vyc
mVudCBQaSBQbHVzIGZyb20gQ2hyaXMgR3JlZW4=?=

... which isn't particularly illuminating.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.
    icon2.gif   Re: Email subject garbaged when set?, posted by Stefan Ritt on Thu Aug 4 22:59:12 2005 

Chris Green wrote:
The email I get has:

Subject:

This is the BASE64 encoding of the subject. It was discussed here and I implemented it according to RFC2047. All subjects I receive look fine in Outlook and Thunderbird, but not under Pine, which apparently does not implement the RFC correctly. One could of course put a switch into elog to encode it or not. But as soon as you want to send some non-ASCII characters (like the Norwegian as described in the thread mentioned above) you have a problem. Maybe you can configure your email client correctly to interprete the encoded subject?
       icon2.gif   Re: Email subject garbaged when set?, posted by Chris Green on Fri Aug 5 01:13:13 2005 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
The email I get has:

Subject:

This is the BASE64 encoding of the subject. It was discussed here and I implemented it according to RFC2047. All subjects I receive look fine in Outlook and Thunderbird, but not under Pine, which apparently does not implement the RFC correctly. One could of course put a switch into elog to encode it or not. But as soon as you want to send some non-ASCII characters (like the Norwegian as described in the thread mentioned above) you have a problem. Maybe you can configure your email client correctly to interprete the encoded subject?

Apparently the pine people think they're implementing it correctly. Indeed the default subject, "[ISO-8859-1] New ELOG entry" appears just fine. The one for membership confirmation, and anything set in Use Email Subject, however, is borked as above. Maybe the pine bug is something that can be worked around with something simple (like spaces after the ISO spec, or something? Some things work just fine, as I said.

Thanks,
Chris.
       icon2.gif   Re: Email subject garbaged when set?, posted by Heiko Scheit on Fri Aug 5 11:18:08 2005 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
The email I get has:

Subject:

This is the BASE64 encoding of the subject. It was discussed here and I implemented it according to RFC2047.

Well not quite. According to the RFC the encoded word must not be longer than 75 characters! Indeed
shorter subjects are displayed by pine, but not longer ones as they do not follow RFC2047.
Below is the quote from the RFC.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

All subjects I receive look fine in Outlook and Thunderbird, but not under Pine, which apparently does not implement the RFC correctly.

Actually pine implements it correctly but not elogd Smile

The relevant text from the RFC
   An 'encoded-word' may not be more than 75 characters long, including
   'charset', 'encoding', 'encoded-text', and delimiters.  If it is
   desirable to encode more text than will fit in an 'encoded-word' of
   75 characters, multiple 'encoded-word's (separated by CRLF SPACE) may
   be used.
          icon2.gif   Re: Email subject garbaged when set?, posted by Stefan Ritt on Fri Aug 5 12:37:42 2005 

Heiko Scheit wrote:
Well not quite. According to the RFC the encoded word must not be longer than 75 characters! Indeed shorter subjects are displayed by pine, but not longer ones as they do not follow RFC2047.
Below is the quote from the RFC.

You are right Big grin, thanks for this information, I overlooked it.

Now I split a long subject into separate chunks of encoded words, and my pine is happy. Update in CVS.
icon4.gif   problem with list display attribute, posted by John Habermann on Thu Jul 28 01:02:00 2005 
I not sure if this has been found and fixed as I did find something to do with the list display attribute in the forums but wasn't sure if it was the same thing.

There seems to be a bug with the List Display attribute in that it drops the last attribute of the list. So in my example if I want to display the Subject in my list I have to add a dummy attribute after it otherwise the Subject will not be displayed. The comma after Subject is not enough, but all you have to do is to add 1 letter and then you will see the subject in List view. If you don't all I see is the Date and Author fields and then the Text field in my Summary view in the log book.

List Display = Date,Author,Subject,t

I am running elog 2.5.9+r1674-1 on Debian sarge.
    icon2.gif   Re: problem with list display attribute, posted by Stefan Ritt on Thu Aug 4 20:32:56 2005 

John Habermann wrote:
I not sure if this has been found and fixed as I did find something to do with the list display attribute in the forums but wasn't sure if it was the same thing.

There seems to be a bug with the List Display attribute in that it drops the last attribute of the list. So in my example if I want to display the Subject in my list I have to add a dummy attribute after it otherwise the Subject will not be displayed. The comma after Subject is not enough, but all you have to do is to add 1 letter and then you will see the subject in List view. If you don't all I see is the Date and Author fields and then the Text field in my Summary view in the log book.

I tried with the current 2.6.0-beta3 and it worked fine. Can you send me your full elogd.cfg in order to reproduce the problem?
       icon2.gif   Re: problem with list display attribute, posted by Emiliano Gabrielli on Fri Aug 5 09:19:02 2005 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

John Habermann wrote:

I tried with the current 2.6.0-beta3 and it worked fine. Can you send me your full elogd.cfg in order to reproduce the problem?

it is the pippo bug...
it was fixed in revision 1.675, just the next he was using...

it is discussed in elog:1170
icon5.gif   Login twice, posted by Carl Shirey on Thu Jul 28 17:11:32 2005 
Where I work we started to use Elog for our shift carry over log, everyone seems to likes it.
I do have one problem for some reason we have to login twice in order to submit a new entree in
the log. I do have a guest account setup so when we click logon the logon page pops up and you
type in username and password and enter. Then main page pops up and you are still in the guest mode.
Click on logon again and enter everything again and this you get in the edit mode.
I hope you can me with this.
    icon2.gif   Re: Login twice, posted by Stefan Ritt on Sat Jul 30 14:36:08 2005 

Carl Shirey wrote:
Where I work we started to use Elog for our shift carry over log, everyone seems to likes it.
I do have one problem for some reason we have to login twice in order to submit a new entree in
the log. I do have a guest account setup so when we click logon the logon page pops up and you
type in username and password and enter. Then main page pops up and you are still in the guest mode.
Click on logon again and enter everything again and this you get in the edit mode.

Can you send me your elogd.cfg?
       icon2.gif   Re: Login twice, posted by Carl Shirey on Mon Aug 1 23:41:06 2005 elogd.cfg

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Carl Shirey wrote:

Can you send me your elogd.cfg?

Yes Here is a copy of the elog.cfg.

Thanks for your help
          icon2.gif   Re: Login twice, posted by Stefan Ritt on Thu Aug 4 21:44:53 2005 

Carl Shirey wrote:

I tried with your config file and it worked fine. So can you tell me:

• At what URL do you access your logbook? Do you just type http://localhost:8080 or anything else
  • Do you use any proxy or stunnel?
  • What is the URL in your browser showing on the first and second login?

You might want to consider to put a
URL = http://<your host>:8080/
into your config file.
             icon2.gif   Re: Login twice, posted by Carl Shirey on Fri Aug 5 02:14:22 2005 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Carl Shirey wrote:

I tried with your config file and it worked fine. So can you tell me:

• At what URL do you access your logbook? Do you just type http://localhost:8080 or anything else
  • Do you use any proxy or stunnel?
  • What is the URL in your browser showing on the first and second login?

You might want to consider to put a
URL = http://<your host>:8080/
into your config file.

Thanks
Your questions that you ask me help me out.
What I was doing was typing in the URL was http://pdls:8080 and it took me the pass down log. When I went to login into Elog took me back to the log but the URL read http://pdls.pwfl.com:8080 so when I log in the second time I was to be the edit mode. So I guess I should have typing in the URL http://pdls.pwfl.com:8080.

Thanks again for your help
icon5.gif   Notify email recipient of attachments without including?, posted by Chris Green on Wed Jul 27 17:38:25 2005 
Hi,

Our elog is going to be taking some large attachments. I've disabled the attachments from going out in the email, but I'd like email recipients to know that the post has attachments associated with it. Is there a mechanism to do this already, or would it be an enhancement? I'm looking for something like:

Email Notify Attachments = 0 | 1 | 2

Where 0 = no notification,
1 = number only,
2 = list

... independent of whether attachments are included with the email itself.

Thanks,
Chris.
    icon2.gif   Re: Notify email recipient of attachments without including?, posted by Stefan Ritt on Thu Aug 4 20:29:23 2005 

Chris Green wrote:
Hi,

Our elog is going to be taking some large attachments. I've disabled the attachments from going out in the email, but I'd like email recipients to know that the post has attachments associated with it. Is there a mechanism to do this already, or would it be an enhancement? I'm looking for something like:

1 = number only,
2 = list

Thanks,
Chris.

I added Email Format = 64 for only attachment names. So you could set Email Format = 111 to get everything except the full attachments.
       icon2.gif   Re: Notify email recipient of attachments without including?, posted by Chris Green on Fri Aug 5 01:15:23 2005 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
Hi,

1 = number only,
2 = list

Thanks,
Chris.

I added Email Format = 64 for only attachment names. So you could set Email Format = 111 to get everything except the full attachments.

Thanks for this. Will verify as soon as someone posts to the (now live) logbook.

Chris.
icon5.gif   Creating logbook by copying an existing one crashes elog, posted by Chris Howe on Thu Jul 28 15:33:21 2005 
Hi,

Trying to create a new logbook from an existing one causes elog to crash.

output from DrMingw:
elogd.exe caused an Access Violation at location 00448c6e in module elogd.exe
Writing to location 6e206c65.

Registers:
eax=00240798 ebx=00000020 ecx=6e206c61 edx=00250088 esi=00000000 edi=69726500
eip=00448c6e esp=01c1a1d0 ebp=01c1a1f0 iopl=0 nv up ei ng nz ac po cy
cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00000297

Call stack:
00448C6E elogd.exe:00448C6E
00445F17 elogd.exe:00445F17

as the service restarts elog the browser then displays:

"Cannot open file elog.pwd: No such file or directory
Please use your browser's back button to go back"

If you try and create a new logbook from scratch (i.e. not a copy) then the browser displays:

"Cannot open file elog.pwd: No such file or directory
Please use your browser's back button to go back"

In both cases the new logbook is created.

any ideas?

Chris
    icon2.gif   Re: Creating logbook by copying an existing one crashes elog, posted by Stefan Ritt on Thu Aug 4 21:36:21 2005 

Chris Howe wrote:
Trying to create a new logbook from an existing one causes elog to crash.

I (hopefully) fixed that bug. The fix will be included in 2.6.0-beta4.
icon4.gif   Problems with beta 3 (Follow-on to CVS/XML msg 1296), posted by PJ Meyer on Wed Jul 27 02:15:59 2005 
Ok downloaded and installed beta 3
can get xml and cvs with dates as date! verrry haaapppppy! Smile

but something happened to the css.
i'm getting white background and no icons anywhere.

so tried to install in a clean location as it comes out of the box with no changes. get white background, no colour.

tried moving css files, graphic files, etc, around - nothing.

emptied bowser caches (IE and Opera)
deleted appropriate cookies
stop and started many time.

and still at the end of the day - i get a white background only, no colour what so ever.

also get page not found when clicking on a row to edit entry.
example: http://dhsdlj159941.hr.state.or.us/demo/1
is record #1 in demo table, elog can't display it when i click on it in the list window.

any ideas?
    icon2.gif   Re: Problems with beta 3 (Follow-on to CVS/XML msg 1296), posted by Stefan Ritt on Wed Jul 27 09:39:47 2005 

PJ Meyer wrote:

so tried to install in a clean location as it comes out of the box with no changes. get white background, no colour.

and still at the end of the day - i get a white background only, no colour what so ever.

is record #1 in demo table, elog can't display it when i click on it in the list window.

any ideas?

That's strange. Can you check if elog finds it's own host properly? The CSS file should be under

http://dhsdlj159941.hr.state.or.us/demo/default.css

and if you look at the HTML source of you standard page you should see something like:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://dhsdlj159941.hr.state.or.us/demo/default.css">

Could it be that elog places something else than "dhsdlj159941.hr.state.or.us" as the host name? If so, you could override this with following statement in elogd.cfg:

URL = http://dhsdlj159941.hr.state.or.us/

That should also fix your other problem.
       icon2.gif   Re: Problems with beta 3 (Follow-on to CVS/XML msg 1296), posted by PJ Meyer on Thu Jul 28 03:08:19 2005 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

PJ Meyer wrote:

any ideas?

That's strange. Can you check if elog finds it's own host properly? The CSS file should be under

and if you look at the HTML source of you standard page you should see something like:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://dhsdlj159941.hr.state.or.us/demo/default.css">

Could it be that elog places something else than "dhsdlj159941.hr.state.or.us" as the host name? If so, you could override this with following statement in elogd.cfg:

OK tried all that and nothing. html source reads like it should.

I can see the discussion/forum here site as it should be

I updated a working setup from 2.54 to 2.60.beta3 and I get the white background with no colours on the restart of Elogd. Going back to 2.54 brought back the colours.
this is the source <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://ISE-DEVEL1-OLD/default.css">.
Works in 2.54, does not seem to work in 2.60beta3

I've tried coping the default.css file to everyplace i could think of and then a few more places. Wink
This has happened on NT 4 server, 2000 server, and XP client machines. Brand new installs (server never saw elog before), upgrades in place, etc, etc, etc. Wish we could run linux in the shop.

Tried in the cfg file:
Resource dir = c:\e-log
Logbook dir = c:\e-log\logbooks
Theme = default
CSS = default.css

This is so strange.
Any ideas on where to go in trouble shooting this?
          icon2.gif   Resolution (i think) - Re: Problems with beta 3 (Follow-on to CVS/XML msg 1296), posted by PJ Meyer on Thu Jul 28 04:29:35 2005 

PJ Meyer wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

PJ Meyer wrote:

any ideas?

OK tried all that and nothing. html source reads like it should.

I can see the discussion/forum here site as it should be

I updated a working setup from 2.54 to 2.60.beta3 and I get the white background with no colours on the restart of Elogd. Going back to 2.54 brought back the colours.
this is the source <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://ISE-DEVEL1-OLD/default.css">.
Works in 2.54, does not seem to work in 2.60beta3

I've tried coping the default.css file to everyplace i could think of and then a few more places. Wink
This has happened on NT 4 server, 2000 server, and XP client machines. Brand new installs (server never saw elog before), upgrades in place, etc, etc, etc. Wish we could run linux in the shop.

Tried in the cfg file:
Resource dir = c:\e-log
Logbook dir = c:\e-log\logbooks
Theme = default
CSS = default.css

This is so strange.
Any ideas on where to go in trouble shooting this?

think I figured it out- had to make explict most of the default settings: resource, logbook, url, theme, css and so on.

so this is done.
             icon2.gif   Resolution (i think) - Re: Problems with beta 3 (Follow-on to CVS/XML msg 1296), posted by Stefan Ritt on Thu Aug 4 20:35:48 2005 

PJ Meyer wrote:
think I figured it out- had to make explict most of the default settings: resource, logbook, url, theme, css and so on.

so this is done.

I'm not satisfied with this solution, I rather would like to fix the problem at the source. So can you remove the explicit directory settings, then stip down the config file to the bare minimum where the problem happens, then send me this file so that I can reproduced it. Do yo use SSL, stunnel or a proxy?

- Stefan
ELOG V3.1.5-3fb85fa6