Demo Discussion
Forum Config Examples Contributions Vulnerabilities
  Discussion forum about ELOG, Page 716 of 796  Not logged in ELOG logo
IDup Date Icon Author Author Email Category OS ELOG Version Subject
  69117   Fri Feb 21 14:42:25 2020 Reply Laurent Jean-Rigaudlollspam@free.frBug reportLinux3.14 RPMRe: Elogd crashes on search

Thanks to you, Stefan !

You software is very usefull for us and it's nice to have support.

Have a nice day !

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Thanks for the detailed investiations and report. Finally I could reproduce the problem by having messages with a text body size close to 250000 bytes (some internal limit). Never thought that someone really has the patience to write 250'000 chars in a single message, but I guess you did some copy/paste from a large file. Thought in such cases people use attachments. Nevertheless, I fixed an internal memory allocation problem, now it shoudl be fine to have such large messages. Change is committed.

Stefan

Laurent Jean-Rigaud wrote:

Stefan,

I cut the log in two parts w/o modifying the content and the search runs. It seems that the size of this entrie 426 is closed to a limit (as during testing, i met a message after clicking save to recompile elog to increase a size of something), so it could be the problem.

I reduced the entrie size by extracting the last part in a new entrie and it seems to be OK.

The old size was 250099 bytes. New size is 240084.

I hope this will be OK.

Regards

69118   Fri Feb 21 19:11:12 2020 Reply Andreas Luedekeandreas.luedeke@psi.chQuestionLinuxelog.x86_64 Re: ELOG reverts to demo configuration

If you've upgraded from an elog 2.x version to an 3.x version, then all entries of a logbook will be moved into subfolder, one for each year.

If you then switch back to the 2.x version of elog, it'll not find any entries.

You can move them back to the folder for the logbook (one directory up) and they'll be found again after the next restart of elog.

Cheers, Andreas

VUIIS SysAdmin wrote:

I have been using elog for over 10 years. Suddenly my elog installation has changed (probably from a recent update. My /etc/elogd.cfg has changed to the original demo configuration. Even after changing it to my configuration from backup none of the entries for the logbooks apper even though the tabs for the logboos are ther all logbooks are empty. I have looced at the logbook files and the entries seem to be there but are not showing on the web interface. Has something changed? Is there a new location for the logbooks and other files? Is there a change from the 32-bit to the 64-bit version that will cause this. I am running CentOS 7 fully patched and updated. Will there be a CentOS 8 compatible version?

69119   Mon Feb 24 15:58:55 2020 Question Sergei Gavrilovs.gavrilov@gmail.comQuestionWindowsV3.1.4-a04faf9fMirroring function for a full both-sides synchronization

Hello, dear ELOG's gurus.
Please help me to understand a problem with mirroring function.
It appears in ELOG V3.1.4-a04faf9f - the last official Windows release, as well as previous 3.1.3 Windows release, which I have checked for comparison.

When I'm using a manual configuration with "mirror server, cron, user" options for one (master) of two servers, it operates well, except the situation, when a new entry is submitted at the second (slave) server.
For example, for a new entry with a real ID#2 at Slave its logfile gives "NEW entry #0", so logfile of the master server gives "MIRROR: Error receiving message: Received wrong entry id "0"".
After that Master deletes this entry at Slave "MIRROR delete remote entry #2".

In case of mirror functions in both .cfg files (Master to Slave, Slave to Master) both servers hung on after the first mirror process.

Now let's imagine, what I want to do. 
Master, as a main-operation global log, is off-operation, Slave automatically becomes a reserv-operation local log with full information from Master due to previous periodic mirroring.
Users work with Slave, submit new entries - all with #0 ID.
After repairing Master starts active mirroring and just deletes all new entries from Slave.

It seems, that the problem is not with mirroring, but with a new entry ID, as was mentioned in https://elog.psi.ch/elogs/Forum/68850
Were these ID#0/mirror problems resolved somehow or may be it is not a problem, but simply my errors in ELOG configuration?
Is there a chance to get an up-to-date Windows-release with working both-sides mirror function and all other addings after V3.1.4-a04faf9f ?

Best regards,
Sergei

69122   Sat Feb 29 06:04:57 2020 Question Johnsecondcomingtechnologies@fastmail.comQuestionLinux | WindowsELOG V3.1.2-bd7How to update date fields so 'alarms' work correctly.

Hi Stefan!

In the user manual under misc it says this: "The elog program makes it possible to submit logbook entries automatically by the system or from scripts. In some shift logbooks this feature is used to enter alarm messages automatically into the logbook. "

Ok what am trying to do is have all messages update (somehow) without the user entering each record. I want my alarm system to be able to keep-up2-date on the expirations, by simply updating the 'date' fields I have in the logbooks (JS). I am getting used to JavaScript, and have all of that working as far as the actual 'alarms' are concerned. But they are useless if the dates are stagnent (ie. not updateing at least once per day).

So can you refer me to the 'shift books' you reference above, so I can understand how to write the code necessary? I've spend much time searching the net on this and experimenting, so I did try to find out before I posted. I believe using a combination of the Elog Utility, with a dedicated 'start page' that is mostly JS, will be part of the solution...

Thanks soo much for your help and awesome creation! :)

John

69123   Fri Mar 13 16:38:53 2020 Reply Sebastian Schenksebastian.schenk@physik.uni-halle.deQuestionLinux | WindowsELOG V3.1.2-bd7Re: How to update date fields so 'alarms' work correctly.

Dear John,

I am a user of the elog system and no developer, so no complete answer guaranteed.

The quote of the manual describes the case, if e.g. an hardware component discovers a failure and the connected PC makes an automatic (new) entry to the elog. Probably modifying an existing one.

I have small concerns on your solution. The description of your alarm system sounds the other ways around, as you are doing something, depending on the elog entries. Based on your statement on JS and dedicated start page, you want to do it on client-side and not on the server. Where I can see the issue, if there is not client, then there is no alarm. As you want to change the date of the entries, I believe, you want to reuse the same entries multiple (infinite?) times instead of creating new ones. The later would be the style of an logging software like elog.

As far as I know, the Date attribute is special and cannot be changed by submitting something to the elog server. as this would make "Restrict edit time" useless. You can try it with this in your config:
Subst on edit Date = $date
Making an entry and edit it afterwards. The entry time stays the same.
If you really want to use this attribute, you have to do some scripting to the actual saved .log files, but this is not intended as I believe.

What you can do, is using an alternative attribute like "MDate" with the config:
Subst MDate = $date
Subst on edit MDate = $date
This will update every time you edit the entry.
Then you probably want to add something like this to your config
List display = ID, MDate, Author, ...

Or "Update" using the duplicate function on the old entry, where you want to change the date, creating a new one with the same content.
Or "Update" using the reply function to create a new entry, referring to the old one.

I hope, I could help.
Best wishes,
Sebastian

John wrote:

Hi Stefan!

In the user manual under misc it says this: "The elog program makes it possible to submit logbook entries automatically by the system or from scripts. In some shift logbooks this feature is used to enter alarm messages automatically into the logbook. "

Ok what am trying to do is have all messages update (somehow) without the user entering each record. I want my alarm system to be able to keep-up2-date on the expirations, by simply updating the 'date' fields I have in the logbooks (JS). I am getting used to JavaScript, and have all of that working as far as the actual 'alarms' are concerned. But they are useless if the dates are stagnent (ie. not updateing at least once per day).

So can you refer me to the 'shift books' you reference above, so I can understand how to write the code necessary? I've spend much time searching the net on this and experimenting, so I did try to find out before I posted. I believe using a combination of the Elog Utility, with a dedicated 'start page' that is mostly JS, will be part of the solution...

John

69124   Fri Mar 13 18:34:30 2020 Reply Johnsecondcomingtechnologies@fastmail.comQuestionLinux | WindowsELOG V3.1.2-bd7Re: How to update date fields so 'alarms' work correctly.

Hi Sebastian!

Thank you soo much for your kind response. You are correct in all of your assumptions as to what I want to do (or not do!). Everything should be on clients side, and I want the date to be updated in each record, daily, or hourly, in order to allow the 'alarm' system I created to be able to give notice (a pop up ,or whatever) when the time as passed, for whatever time/date the user set the alarm for.

I believe this has been asked in general in the past and  suggetions were to have the data updated in onther program (spreadsheet) or whatever, as you implied, by changing the database directly (log files). This is not the way I want to do, even though I realize it would accomplish this task. I want to just use Elog and probably JS.

I will try your ideas and when I am done (successful or not!) I will report my findings back here :)

John

Sebastian Schenk wrote:

Dear John,

I am a user of the elog system and no developer, so no complete answer guaranteed.

The quote of the manual describes the case, if e.g. an hardware component discovers a failure and the connected PC makes an automatic (new) entry to the elog. Probably modifying an existing one.

I have small concerns on your solution. The description of your alarm system sounds the other ways around, as you are doing something, depending on the elog entries. Based on your statement on JS and dedicated start page, you want to do it on client-side and not on the server. Where I can see the issue, if there is not client, then there is no alarm. As you want to change the date of the entries, I believe, you want to reuse the same entries multiple (infinite?) times instead of creating new ones. The later would be the style of an logging software like elog.

As far as I know, the Date attribute is special and cannot be changed by submitting something to the elog server. as this would make "Restrict edit time" useless. You can try it with this in your config:
Subst on edit Date = $date
Making an entry and edit it afterwards. The entry time stays the same.
If you really want to use this attribute, you have to do some scripting to the actual saved .log files, but this is not intended as I believe.

What you can do, is using an alternative attribute like "MDate" with the config:
Subst MDate = $date
Subst on edit MDate = $date
This will update every time you edit the entry.
Then you probably want to add something like this to your config
List display = ID, MDate, Author, ...

Or "Update" using the duplicate function on the old entry, where you want to change the date, creating a new one with the same content.
Or "Update" using the reply function to create a new entry, referring to the old one.

I hope, I could help.
Best wishes,
Sebastian

John wrote:

Hi Stefan!

John

69125   Fri Mar 20 14:07:59 2020 Question Gianluca Rigolettigianluca.rigoletti@cern.chQuestionLinux | All3.1.3-7933898How does attributes substitution work?

Hello,

Let's say I have a logboook where I define two attributes:

[TOTEM]
Comment = TOTEM Gas System Status
Attributes = Author, D, M, Y, h, min, ...

I would like to modify the "Last submission" so that I display something like %D/%M/%Y, %h:%min

so in my elogd.cfg I added this line:

Last submission = $D / $M / $Y , $h : $min by $Author

however, when display in the selection page instead of getting $min displayed i get the attribute $M+'in' displayed. How does attributes substitution work? is it case unsensitive? how does it behave when different attributes starts with the same name?

69126   Fri Mar 20 14:24:28 2020 Reply Stefan Rittstefan.ritt@psi.chQuestionLinux | All3.1.3-7933898Re: How does attributes substitution work?

There could be a bug which is triggered by the fact that $M is a substring of $min. Try to rename $M to $Month or so.

Stefan

Gianluca Rigoletti wrote:

Hello,

Let's say I have a logboook where I define two attributes:

[TOTEM]
Comment = TOTEM Gas System Status
Attributes = Author, D, M, Y, h, min, ...

I would like to modify the "Last submission" so that I display something like %D/%M/%Y, %h:%min

so in my elogd.cfg I added this line:

Last submission = $D / $M / $Y , $h : $min by $Author

however, when display in the selection page instead of getting $min displayed i get the attribute $M+'in' displayed. How does attributes substitution work? is it case unsensitive? how does it behave when different attributes starts with the same name?

ELOG V3.1.5-2eba886