DRS4 Forum
  DRS4 Discussion Forum, Page 40 of 44  Not logged in ELOG logo
New entries since:Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 1970
ID Date Author Subjectdown
  506   Wed Apr 6 09:43:52 2016 Daniel DribinDRS Oscilloscope freezing after a long run

At hight rates I worked with files of up to 20 GB so I don't think this is the problem.

I will try to run it under Ubuntu and see if i can recreate the problem.

Thank you very much for the quick responses and help.

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Even with writing for one night no problem (see below). Have you checked how big your data file is? I guess there is a limit under Windows of 2 GB. If that's the case, you have to write shorter files.

 

 

  507   Wed Apr 6 09:46:10 2016 Daniel DribinDRS Oscilloscope freezing after a long run
Martin Petriska wrote:

 

Stefan Ritt wrote:

I tried this night to run the board at a 10 Hz rate with an external pulser, without writing, and it did not freeze after ~14 hours of running on Mac OSX. This night I will try again with writing.

Stefan

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Then it seems that there is some USB communication problem. I heard this also from other people, that the USB data transfer under Windows has sometimes problems. I develop and run the board under Mac OSX, and there the same software runs for days without problem. So I guess it's related to the underlying libusb lib which is used by the DRS oscilloscope, on which I have no influence. So the only advice I can give is to take shorter series of data. Anyhow the board is not considered a full DAQ system, just an "evaluation board" which means one can try the DRS4 chip and play with it. For serious business one should build own electronics with the chip. Anyhow we are currently developping an Ethernet board which allows much faster acquisition rates, so USB will be obsolete some day. Nevertheless I will try to reproduce your problem and see if I can do anything. At what trigger rate does it show up most prominently?

Stefan

Daniel Dribin wrote:

Dear Stefan Ritt,

Yes I use Windows 7, If the DRS Oscilloscope program stays on for a couple of hours without saving the data, the problem will occur. It seems it happens more often when there is data writing and when the rate of events is slow, about 100 events per second, at high rates it almost doesn't happen. Can it be temperature related?

Daniel

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Dear Daniel,

sorry my late reply, I'm pretty busy these days. The behavior you report has not been seen before, but I guess no one tried to take such long runs of data yet. Can you confirm that the problem also occurs without writing data to disk, or is it disk-related? I guess you use it under Windows 7, right?

Stefan

Daniel Dribin wrote:

Dear Stefan Ritt,

I am using a DRS4 v5 to do timing measurements of Positron lifetime. I use the DRS Oscilloscope with triggering on 2 channels when I have a coincidence. Attached is a picture with all the setting that I use. When I use the DRS4 for a long measurements of 5 million events for a couple of hours, the DRS Oscilloscope stops showing any signal .After the first restart of the program I get a strange signal which is at the bottom of the scope range of voltage picture below(in the picture I changed the vertical positions of the channels for better viewing). Only after a couple of DRS Oscilloscope restarts and USB reconnections do I get the results again.

I currently am using another DRS4 v5 and the same situation occurs again although with lower frequency.

What can I do to solve this problem?

thank you very much,

Daniel

 

 

 

 

 

Hi I have also positron annihilation system based on DRS4v4 cards. Its running several weeks, sometimes months, without freezing in windows7 64bit system (Pentium Core Quad 2Ghz, 4GRam).  Problem was when widows was trying to install updates and restarted PC. In beginning I had some problem with memory leak in my application, but it was simple seen in task manager that application memory was rising and was need to find memory leak in application code. Now I remember card was sometimes freezing when room air conditioning with 2kW was starting and high electricity pulses were reason of USB problems, it helped to put air conditioner and PC in different power line input. Hope it help to solve zour problems.

Martin

I too have air conditioning in the room, not sure to which power line it is connected, but I'll try to check this aswell.

Thank you very much.

  196   Wed Nov 28 16:54:46 2012 Stefan RittDRS Oscilloscope for Raspberry Pi and Mac OSX 10.8

I made a pre-compiled package for Mac OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion), so one should be able to install the DRS Oscilloscope software with one mouse click on a recent Mac.

The Makefile in the tar ball now also supports OSX 10.8, so one could even compile it from the sources on a Mac, after libusb-1.0 and wxWidgets have been installed. That might then also work on older versions of OSX.

In addition, the software has been adaptes so that it compiles nicely on a Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org), a screenshot has been attached. Together with a Raspberry Pi and an old screen, the evaluation board is one of the cheapest available oscilloscopes.

 

 

  139   Mon Dec 12 16:43:04 2011 Stefan RittDC coupled DRS4 input stage

In the attachement you will find a working DC-coupled input stage to the DRS4 chip. The bandwidth of this design is about 700 MHz, the gain is 1.

The upper version does not have an additional input buffer. This is not a very "clean" design, since the differential driver has an input impedance of 150 Ohm, which together with the 75 Ohm termination resistor gives about 50 Ohm termination. 

The lover version has an additional input buffer, which nicely decouples the input from the differential driver, so a proper 50 Ohm termination can be used at the cost of additional power for that buffer.

The COM common mode voltage and the OFS voltage have to be set according to the required input range, so that ranges such as 0V...1V, -0.5V...+0.5V, -1V...0V can be used. The COM voltage can be high impedance (simple resistor divider), while the OFS voltage needs to be low impedance (fast active buffer). The analog switch ADG918 can be used to digitize a precise calibration voltage CAL+, which can then be used for precise gain calibration of the DRS4 sampling cells.

  11   Thu Jul 9 09:11:03 2009 Stefan RittCurrent problems with drs_exam.cpp

The current version of the DRS readout example program drs_exam.cpp has two problems:

  1. The sampling frequency cannot be changed, it will always stay in the region around 5 GSPS
  2. The waveform obtained by GetWave is rotated such that the first DRS cell corresponds to the first array bin

Both problems have been fixed and the fix will be contained in an upcoming software release.

  436   Thu Jul 2 13:20:51 2015 Felix BachmairCreation of Object files

HI,

We are using the DRS4 Board in the EUDAQ framework [1]. We wrote a a Producer based on the software of the evaluation board, which is using the DRS class/header/src files.

In order to make it work we needed to compile it with a shared object file. [2]

Would it be possbile to include a shared object in the 'official' release? 

Cheers

Felix

 

 

[1]https://telescopes.desy.de/EUDAQ

[2]https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared

  437   Fri Jul 3 17:13:27 2015 Stefan RittCreation of Object files

Hi Felix,

the distribution does not contain any binaries, since there are too many Linux distributions around, so everybody compiles from the sources under Linux. Do you want me to just add libDRS.so to the official Makefile? Actually you are the first one asking for this. Would it be beneficial to have this in the distribution, or can you just maintain your own Makefile in the github repository?

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

HI,

We are using the DRS4 Board in the EUDAQ framework [1]. We wrote a a Producer based on the software of the evaluation board, which is using the DRS class/header/src files.

In order to make it work we needed to compile it with a shared object file. [2]

Would it be possbile to include a shared object in the 'official' release? 

Cheers

Felix

 

 

[1]https://telescopes.desy.de/EUDAQ

[2]https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared

 

  438   Mon Jul 6 11:30:56 2015 Felix BachmairCreation of Object files

Hi Stefan,

That's fine for me. I thought it might be interesting for others as well..

Cheers

Felix

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Hi Felix,

the distribution does not contain any binaries, since there are too many Linux distributions around, so everybody compiles from the sources under Linux. Do you want me to just add libDRS.so to the official Makefile? Actually you are the first one asking for this. Would it be beneficial to have this in the distribution, or can you just maintain your own Makefile in the github repository?

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

HI,

We are using the DRS4 Board in the EUDAQ framework [1]. We wrote a a Producer based on the software of the evaluation board, which is using the DRS class/header/src files.

In order to make it work we needed to compile it with a shared object file. [2]

Would it be possbile to include a shared object in the 'official' release? 

Cheers

Felix

 

 

[1]https://telescopes.desy.de/EUDAQ

[2]https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared

 

 

  439   Mon Jul 6 19:25:27 2015 Stefan RittCreation of Object files

Anyhow it would be nice if you just post your Makefile here, which runs with the standard distribution, so people can use it if needed.

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

Hi Stefan,

That's fine for me. I thought it might be interesting for others as well..

Cheers

Felix

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Hi Felix,

the distribution does not contain any binaries, since there are too many Linux distributions around, so everybody compiles from the sources under Linux. Do you want me to just add libDRS.so to the official Makefile? Actually you are the first one asking for this. Would it be beneficial to have this in the distribution, or can you just maintain your own Makefile in the github repository?

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

HI,

We are using the DRS4 Board in the EUDAQ framework [1]. We wrote a a Producer based on the software of the evaluation board, which is using the DRS class/header/src files.

In order to make it work we needed to compile it with a shared object file. [2]

Would it be possbile to include a shared object in the 'official' release? 

Cheers

Felix

 

 

[1]https://telescopes.desy.de/EUDAQ

[2]https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared

 

 

 

  440   Tue Jul 7 09:29:21 2015 Felix BachmairCreation of Object files

Yes of course no problem.

You can download via github https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared and I also put it in the attachment.

It's tested with Ubuntu, Fedora and RHEL.

For mac OSX one needs to create a dylib out of the so file.

Cheers

Felix

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Anyhow it would be nice if you just post your Makefile here, which runs with the standard distribution, so people can use it if needed.

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

Hi Stefan,

That's fine for me. I thought it might be interesting for others as well..

Cheers

Felix

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Hi Felix,

the distribution does not contain any binaries, since there are too many Linux distributions around, so everybody compiles from the sources under Linux. Do you want me to just add libDRS.so to the official Makefile? Actually you are the first one asking for this. Would it be beneficial to have this in the distribution, or can you just maintain your own Makefile in the github repository?

Stefan

Felix Bachmair wrote:

HI,

We are using the DRS4 Board in the EUDAQ framework [1]. We wrote a a Producer based on the software of the evaluation board, which is using the DRS class/header/src files.

In order to make it work we needed to compile it with a shared object file. [2]

Would it be possbile to include a shared object in the 'official' release? 

Cheers

Felix

 

 

[1]https://telescopes.desy.de/EUDAQ

[2]https://github.com/veloxid/DRS4-v5-shared

 

 

 

 

  4   Wed Feb 11 12:21:07 2009 Stefan RittCorrected datasheet Rev. 0.8

 Please note the new datasheet Rev. 0.8 available from the DRS web site. It fixes the label of pin #76, which was AGND but is actualy AVDD. The input IN8+ is located at pin #20 and not at pin #19 as described in the old table 2.

  781   Wed Oct 23 17:56:26 2019 John JendzurskiComputing corrected time from binary data...what is t_0,0?

In the equations for computing the corrected time for channels other than channel 1, does anyone know what the term t0,0 refers to?  This is the last term in the last equation on page 24 of DRS4 Evaluation Board User’s Manual, Board Revision 5 as of January 2014, Last revised: April 27, 2016.

Screenshot from User's Manual is attached below.

Thank you!

  782   Fri Oct 25 16:39:07 2019 Stefan RittComputing corrected time from binary data...what is t_0,0?

t0,0 refers to the time of cell #0 of channel #0. So basically you keep channel 0 fixed, calculate the difference of each channel's cell #0 in respect to channel 0, and align all channels except channel 0 so that their cell #0 has the same value. There is an inconsistency between the channel numbering. The formula uses 0...3 and the manual says "channel 1" but it means actually the first channel, which uses index "0".

Stefan

John Jendzurski wrote:

In the equations for computing the corrected time for channels other than channel 1, does anyone know what the term t0,0 refers to?  This is the last term in the last equation on page 24 of DRS4 Evaluation Board User’s Manual, Board Revision 5 as of January 2014, Last revised: April 27, 2016.

Screenshot from User's Manual is attached below.

Thank you!

 

  471   Tue Jan 12 17:57:03 2016 Jack BargemannCompiling DRS-exam

I am trying to compile drs-exam, but am getting an error message I do not understand:

1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_open referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_close referenced in function _musb_close
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_get_descriptor referenced in function _musb_get_device
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_bulk_write referenced in function _musb_write
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_bulk_read referenced in function _musb_read
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_configuration referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_claim_interface referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_release_interface referenced in function _musb_close
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_altinterface referenced in function _musb_set_altinterface
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_reset referenced in function _musb_reset
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_init referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_debug referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_find_busses referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_find_devices referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_get_busses referenced in function _musb_open

I have tried redownloading a different version of libusb-1.0, but the problem was not solved.  What might I be doing wrong?

  472   Tue Jan 12 21:02:31 2016 Stefan RittCompiling DRS-exam

I guess you are compiling under MS Windows ??? You probably don't link correctly to the USB lib. Try to compile the examples coming with libusb-1.0 to make you everything is right there.

Jack Bargemann wrote:

I am trying to compile drs-exam, but am getting an error message I do not understand:

1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_open referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_close referenced in function _musb_close
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_get_descriptor referenced in function _musb_get_device
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_bulk_write referenced in function _musb_write
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_bulk_read referenced in function _musb_read
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_configuration referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_claim_interface referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_release_interface referenced in function _musb_close
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_altinterface referenced in function _musb_set_altinterface
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_reset referenced in function _musb_reset
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_init referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_set_debug referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_find_busses referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_find_devices referenced in function _musb_open
1>musbstd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _usb_get_busses referenced in function _musb_open

I have tried redownloading a different version of libusb-1.0, but the problem was not solved.  What might I be doing wrong?

 

  386   Wed Oct 15 10:14:32 2014 Simon WeingartenClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Hi,

I'm currently working on a little DAQ system with four DRS evaluation boards. Do i need to apply any specific settings when using the clock in/out connectors for synchronization? I do not see anything like that in the drs_exam_multi example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Simon

  387   Wed Oct 15 10:52:58 2014 Stefan RittClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Simon Weingarten wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently working on a little DAQ system with four DRS evaluation boards. Do i need to apply any specific settings when using the clock in/out connectors for synchronization? I do not see anything like that in the drs_exam_multi example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Simon

Right, I did not yet put any code there. What you need on all slave boards is

b->SetRefclk(true);

b->SetFrequency(...);

Set SetFrequency() is needed to restart the boards with the external clock.

This works of course only if you have the clock signals connected as written in the manual. If not, the boards won't work after you switch the reference clock.

Best regards,
Stefan 

  388   Wed Oct 15 11:34:43 2014 Simon WeingartenClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Simon Weingarten wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently working on a little DAQ system with four DRS evaluation boards. Do i need to apply any specific settings when using the clock in/out connectors for synchronization? I do not see anything like that in the drs_exam_multi example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Simon

Right, I did not yet put any code there. What you need on all slave boards is

b->SetRefclk(true);

b->SetFrequency(...);

Set SetFrequency() is needed to restart the boards with the external clock.

This works of course only if you have the clock signals connected as written in the manual. If not, the boards won't work after you switch the reference clock.

Best regards,
Stefan 

Thank you so much for the fast reply! I'll give it a try.

 

Best regards,

Simon

  389   Wed Oct 15 12:15:58 2014 Stefan RittClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Here is the full version of the program with clock daisy-chaining. Before switching to the external clock, it checks if the clock really is there (by reading an internal scaler), and only then enables it. Note that the code also works without clock daisy-chaining. But without clock daisy-chaining your have some 400 ps time resolution between boards, and with clock daisy-chaining you get some 60 ps.

  403   Fri Apr 17 10:07:38 2015 Simon WeingartenClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Hi Stefan,

do you know how these numbers (400ps and 60ps) scale with the sampling rate? The manual says they are for 5GS/s, do they change with slower sampling?

Thanks and best regards,

Simon

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Here is the full version of the program with clock daisy-chaining. Before switching to the external clock, it checks if the clock really is there (by reading an internal scaler), and only then enables it. Note that the code also works without clock daisy-chaining. But without clock daisy-chaining your have some 400 ps time resolution between boards, and with clock daisy-chaining you get some 60 ps.

 

ELOG V3.1.4-bcd7b50