DRS4 Forum
  DRS4 Discussion Forum, Page 14 of 40  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Authordown Subject
  347   Mon May 19 08:04:57 2014 Stefan Rittsimultaneous writing and reading with region of interest mode?

Benjamin LeGeyt wrote:

Hello!

We're developing electronics based on the DRS4 to read out a breast PET scanner and our event rate will be quite high so we're concerned about dead-time.  with that in mind, I have a question regarding the mode of simultaneous writing and reading that is described in the DRS4 data sheet.  I think the description there is quite clear but I'd like to ask for a few clarifications.

1) Are the channels required to be read out via the channel multiplexer when doing the simultaneous write/read or is it ok to read out all channels in parallel (even the ones still sampling) and just throw away the ones you don't want?

2) If one wanted to use region of interest mode along with the simultaneous write/read, how would that work?  Here is what I would think - please tell me if I'm missing some important detail:

-upon trigger, deassert dwrite.

-strobe RSRLOAD

-increment write config register

-reassert dwrite

-start the readout (reading out stop shift register value on SROUT as data comes out)

3) now to add even more complexity - I would actually like to use simultaneous write/read along with region of interest mode and also with pairs of cascaded channels as we need >500ns latency and 2Gsps is too slow for our signals.  the combination of cascading and simultaneous write/read is addressed in the data sheet but I still have one question.  In normal circumstances when cascading channels, one would read out the value in the write shift register to know which channel was active when the domino wave stopped.  I assume that this is not possible when dwrite is enabled as the write shift register is then advanced by the domino wave, so I see three possibilities:

-accept more dead-time and read out the write-shift-register each time (adds ~240ns to deadtime)

-just read out both channels every time and figure out later where is the data you want

-attempt to keep track of the expected state of write-shift-register in firmware.

is there a better option that I have not thought of?

 

many thanks!

Benjamin LeGeyt

Unfortunately the simultaneous writing/reading does not work as described in the data sheet. Just recently we found out that due to a bug in the chip a part of the waveform is missing if you read and write at the same time. The only clean solution is to use two DRS4 chips in parallel. You read one chip while the other samples, then you switch over between them. In that case all the ROI scheme and channel cascading works normally. The dead time will be addressed by the DRS5 chip, which will be dead time free, but will not be available until in maybe 2-3 years.

/Stefan 

  349   Tue May 27 16:07:17 2014 Stefan RittSpikes in DRS4 data on custom baord.

Dominik Neise wrote:

We see quite some spikes in our DRS4 sampled data in FACT.  We see different types of spikes:

  • single cell spikes, usually showing a large amplitude of 200mV
  • double cell spikes, usually only in the order of 20mV.
  • Even triple and quadro cell spikes are rarely seen.

The double cell spikes often occur as symmetrical double cell spikes mirrored at cell 512. quadro cell spikes seem to be nothing else, than connected symmetrical double cell spikes. For the triple cell spikes we have no idea.
Currently we use simple filters to get rid of these spikes, this workes rather well for the large single cell spikes, but with the occurance of tripples and quadros we started to worry about higher multiples and revived our DRS4 spike investigations.

Now I was told, that you Stefan know already where these spikes come from and even a paper exisits. Unfortunately so far I was unable to find it.
I wonder if it is possible to predict the occurance of these spikes, so one does not have to search for them anymore and can get rid of the filters.

Best regards

Dominik

All I know is that the  "20mV" spikes are always symmetrical around cell #512, that they are typically 17.4 mV in height, and that they occur always in all 9 channels simultaneously. They cannot occur in all locations, but there only like 32 possible locations where they can occur. With this information it should be easy to fix them by filtering.

200 mV spikes are new to me. I do not see them in our boards, so it must be related to the board readout and not to the chip.

Best regards,
Stefan
 

  352   Wed Jun 11 11:13:50 2014 Stefan RittAnnouncement of new Evaluation Board V5

Osip Lishilin wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Hardware scalers for all four channels and the trigger working up to 200 MHz. With the trigger scaler one can measure for example coincidence rates between two channels.

 Does it give the ability to measure triggering rate? I'm talking again about possibility of use DRS4 as pulse counter for PMT's. If yes, do I need new v5 board or it is possible to use v4 board?

Yes it is possible to measure the raw trigger rate, with a resolution of 10 Hz. You need a new V5 board for that. 

  354   Thu Jun 12 12:46:00 2014 Stefan RittDRS eval bord v5 Timing
> a) Calibration:
> I am using 4 boards daisy chained. To achieve optimal time resolution I did first a voltage calibration and right afterwards a time calibration. For all 
> boards after the master I am not sure how to do it.
> After setting the flag "Configure multi-board daisy-chain" in the config menu, all the slave boards set the flag "use external reference clock".  By 
> hitting the voltage calibration button, the slave boards unset this flag. Is it true, that I have to re-set this before doing the time-calibration right 
> afterwards?

Please do NOT do any calibration in multi-board mode. This will not work. Calibrate the boards separately, then activate the multi-board mode. Please note that the timing between the boards is not better 
than ~50 ps. This is a limitation of the FPGA clock generators. If you need better timing, you have to feed an external clock into one channel of each board (leaving only 3 channels for DAQ). The upcoming 
WaveDREAM board will have 16 channels per board, so building bigger DAQ systems will be much easier (and more precise).

> b) getting the right times in binary format:
> To get the time out of the time width (i.e. the t_ch[i]) you sum up in your documentation from j=0 to j=i (see attachment). In your example code 
> read_binary.cpp (line 113) you sum from j=0 to j=i-1. Since you get the the bin with in the binary file, I guess that the example code is correct one?

Yes, I will correct the documentation.

Cheers,
Stefan
  355   Thu Jun 12 17:16:13 2014 Stefan RittCalibrationWaveform

Toshihiro Nonaka wrote:

I'm writing the drs_exam.cpp to use multi-boards(v3, firmware:4.0.0), and taking data succeeded. But I have several questions about function written in DRS.cpp.

 

  1. I wrote following code in drs_exam.cpp to set input range -0.4~0.6

                                     b1->SetInputRange(0.1);

            And the 100mV offset appeared(I attached a picture). I think this is due to the voltage calibration isn't done.(Calibrated to -0.5~0.5mV in DRS Oscilloscope)

            If so, could you show me a simple usage of "CalibrationWaveform()" function in DRS.cpp? (or other function?)

 

       2. Although this question might be the almost same with above, is there any way to execute voltage and timing calibration in drs_exam.cpp?

           Now I start DAQ by executing drs_exam.cpp after I execute voltage and timing calibration to each board by DRS Oscilloscope program.

 

      3. Which command is right to use external trigger?

                                   b1->SetTriggerSource(4);   or  b1->SetTriggerSource(1<<4);

 

Best regards,

Toshihiro Nonaka

1. b->CalibrateVolt(NULL);

2. see 1.

3. For the V3 boards use b->SetTriggerSource(4), for V4 and V5 boards, use b->SetTriggerSource(1<<4). I had to change that because from V4 on we can have logical combinations between channels (like channel 1 AND channel 2).

Best regards,

Stefan 

  359   Wed Jul 16 12:10:19 2014 Stefan Rittchange cascading from 1024 to 2048 bins for each input channel

Yves Bianga wrote:

Hello,

 
I want to ask whether it is possible to modify a Evaluation Board 5.0 from 1024 to 2048 cells for each of the 4 input channels.
On the rev50 manual at page 31 I found an option to connect the 4 unused channels by setting 8 solder bridges.
The source code for controlling the board seems already prepared for 2048 bins, since version 5.0.2.
 
So my first question: Are there any implementations in the VHDL Code to control the write shift register in 2048 mode? / Is there a necessity for a newer/other VHDL Code or is it already implemented?
 
And the second: Are there any other modifications except the eight zero Ohm resistors and maybe changes in the FPGA code?
 
My board info output:
 
Mezz. Board index:    0
DRS type:             DRS4
Board type:           9
Serial number:        2451
Firmware revision:    21260
 
 
Thanks a lot!
 
Yves Bianga

Indeed you only need R99-R106 to be installed. Unfortunately the firm/software cannot know if the resistors are there, that's why we introduced R142/R143, which connect J44 of the FPGA optionally to low. So if J44 is low (R143 installed), this tells the system that we are in 2048 bin mode. Unfortunately you need firmware revision 21305 or later to support this bit, which you apparently do not have. So you can either upgrade the firmware (if you have a download cable) or "fake" the 2048 bin mode in software. Go to line 4345 of DRS.cpp and look for DRSBoard::Is2048ModeCapable(). This function just returns the status of this bit. If you installed R99-R106, you could modify this function to always return "1" instead of "0". Then the DRSOsc program will display 2048 bins for each of the four channels.

Best regards,

Stefan 

  361   Wed Jul 30 17:05:06 2014 Stefan RittROOT program to decode binary data from DRSOsc

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Please find attached a simple ROOT based program (http://root.cern.ch) to decode binary data from the DRSOsc program. It assumes that all four channels were recorded. If this is not the case, the program can be adjusted accordingly.

To use it, simply type (assuming that you have written a data file "test.dat" with DRSOsc):

root [0] .L decode.C+
Info in <TUnixSystem::ACLiC>: creating shared library /tmp/./decode_C.so
root [1] decode("test");
Info in <TCanvas::MakeDefCanvas>:  created default TCanvas with name c1
1927 events processed
"test.root" written
root [2] 

If you have turned on the clock on channel4 of the DRS4 evaluation board, it will produce a plot like this:
 
c1.gif 

 

/Stefan

I updated this ROOT program for the new format used with the V5 boards. It's now called "read_binary.C". Usage stays the same. There is also a standalone C program "read_binary.cpp". Both are attached. 

Attachment 1: read_binary.C
/*
 
   Name:           read_binary.C
   Created by:     Stefan Ritt <stefan.ritt@psi.ch>
   Date:           July 30th, 2014
 
   Purpose:        Example program under ROOT to read a binary data file written 
                   by the DRSOsc program. Decode time and voltages from waveforms 
                   and display them as a graph. Put values into a ROOT Tree for 
                   further analysis.
 
                   To run it, do:
 
                   - Crate a file test.dat via the "Save" button in DRSOsc
                   - start ROOT
                   root [0] .L read_binary.C+
                   root [1] decode("test.dat");
 
*/
 

#include <string.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include "TFile.h"
#include "TTree.h"
#include "TString.h"
#include "TGraph.h"
#include "TCanvas.h"
#include "Getline.h"

typedef struct {
  char           time_header[4];
  char           bn[2];
  unsigned short board_serial_number;
} THEADER;

typedef struct {
  char           event_header[4];
  unsigned int   event_serial_number;
  unsigned short year;
  unsigned short month;
  unsigned short day;
  unsigned short hour;
  unsigned short minute;
  unsigned short second;
  unsigned short millisecond;
  unsigned short reserved1;
  char           bs[2];
  unsigned short board_serial_number;
  char           tc[2];
  unsigned short trigger_cell;
} EHEADER;

/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

void decode(char *filename) {
   THEADER th;
   EHEADER eh;
   char hdr[4];
   unsigned short voltage[1024];
   double waveform[4][1024], time[4][1024];
   float bin_width[4][1024];
   char rootfile[256];
   int i, j, ch, n, chn_index;
   double t1, t2, dt;

   // open the binary waveform file
   FILE *f = fopen(Form("%s", filename), "r");
   if (f == NULL) {
      printf("Cannot find file \'%s\'\n", filename);
      return;
   }

   //open the root file
   strcpy(rootfile, filename);
   if (strchr(rootfile, '.'))
      *strchr(rootfile, '.') = 0;
   strcat(rootfile, ".root");
   TFile *outfile = new TFile(rootfile, "RECREATE");
   
   // define the rec tree
   TTree *rec = new TTree("rec","rec");
   rec->Branch("t1", time[0]     ,"t1[1024]/D");  
   rec->Branch("t2", time[1]     ,"t2[1024]/D");  
   rec->Branch("t3", time[2]     ,"t3[1024]/D");  
   rec->Branch("t4", time[3]     ,"t4[1024]/D");  
   rec->Branch("w1", waveform[0] ,"w1[1024]/D");
   rec->Branch("w2", waveform[1] ,"w2[1024]/D");
   rec->Branch("w3", waveform[2] ,"w3[1024]/D");
   rec->Branch("w4", waveform[3] ,"w4[1024]/D");
   
   // create canvas
   TCanvas *c1 = new TCanvas();
   
   // create graph
   TGraph *g = new TGraph(1024, (double *)time[0], (double *)waveform[0]);

   // read time header
   fread(&th, sizeof(th), 1, f);
   printf("Found data for board #%d\n", th.board_serial_number);

   // read time bin widths
   memset(bin_width, sizeof(bin_width), 0);
   for (ch=0 ; ch<5 ; ch++) {
      fread(hdr, sizeof(hdr), 1, f);
      if (hdr[0] != 'C') {
         // event header found
         fseek(f, -4, SEEK_CUR);
         break;      
      }
      i = hdr[3] - '0' - 1;
      printf("Found timing calibration for channel #%d\n", i+1);
      fread(&bin_width[i][0], sizeof(float), 1024, f);
   }

   // loop over all events in data file
   for (n=0 ; n<5 ; n++) {
      // read event header
      i = fread(&eh, sizeof(eh), 1, f);
      if (i < 1)
         break;
         
      printf("Found event #%d\n", eh.event_serial_number);

      // reach channel data
      for (ch=0 ; ch<5 ; ch++) {
         i = fread(hdr, sizeof(hdr), 1, f);
         if (i < 1)
            break;
         if (hdr[0] != 'C') {
            // event header found
            fseek(f, -4, SEEK_CUR);
            break;      
         }
         chn_index = hdr[3] - '0' - 1;
         fread(voltage, sizeof(short), 1024, f);
         
         for (i=0 ; i<1024 ; i++) {
            // convert data to volts
            waveform[chn_index][i] = (voltage[i] / 65536. - 0.5);
            
            // calculate time for this cell
            for (j=0,time[chn_index][i]=0 ; j<i ; j++)
              time[chn_index][i] += bin_width[chn_index][(j+eh.trigger_cell) % 1024];            
         }
      }
    
      // align cell #0 of all channels
      t1 = time[0][(1024-eh.trigger_cell) % 1024];
      for (ch=1 ; ch<4 ; ch++) {
         t2 = time[ch][(1024-eh.trigger_cell) % 1024];
         dt = t1 - t2;
         for (i=0 ; i<1024 ; i++)
            time[ch][i] += dt;
      }

      // fill root tree
      rec->Fill();
      
      // fill graph
      for (i=0 ; i<1024 ; i++)
         g->SetPoint(i, time[0][i], waveform[0][i]);
      
      // draw graph and wait for user click
      g->Draw("ACP");
      c1->Update();
      gPad->WaitPrimitive();
   }

   // print number of events
   printf("%d events processed, \"%s\" written.\n", n, rootfile);
   
   // save and close root file
   rec->Write();
   outfile->Close();
}
Attachment 2: read_binary.cpp
/*
   Name:           read_binary.cpp
   Created by:     Stefan Ritt <stefan.ritt@psi.ch>
   Date:           July 30th, 2014

   Purpose:        Example file to read binary data saved by DRSOsc.
 
   Compile and run it with:
 
      gcc -o read_binary read_binary.cpp
 
      ./read_binary <filename>

   This program assumes that a pulse from a signal generator is split
   and fed into channels #1 and #2. It then calculates the time difference
   between these two pulses to show the performance of the DRS board
   for time measurements.

   $Id: read_binary.cpp 21438 2014-07-30 15:00:17Z ritt $
*/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <math.h>

typedef struct {
   char           time_header[4];
   char           bn[2];
   unsigned short board_serial_number;
} THEADER;

typedef struct {
   char           event_header[4];
   unsigned int   event_serial_number;
   unsigned short year;
   unsigned short month;
   unsigned short day;
   unsigned short hour;
   unsigned short minute;
   unsigned short second;
   unsigned short millisecond;
   unsigned short reserved1;
   char           bs[2];
   unsigned short board_serial_number;
   char           tc[2];
   unsigned short trigger_cell;
} EHEADER;

/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
{
   THEADER th;
   EHEADER eh;
   char hdr[4];
   unsigned short voltage[1024];
   double waveform[4][1024], time[4][1024];
   float bin_width[4][1024];
   char rootfile[256];
   int i, j, ch, n, chn_index;
   double t1, t2, dt;
   char filename[256];

   int ndt;
   double threshold, sumdt, sumdt2;
   
   if (argc > 1)
      strcpy(filename, argv[1]);
   else {
      printf("Usage: read_binary <filename>\n");
      return 0;
   }
   
   // open the binary waveform file
   FILE *f = fopen(filename, "r");
   if (f == NULL) {
      printf("Cannot find file \'%s\'\n", filename);
      return 0;
   }

   // read time header
   fread(&th, sizeof(th), 1, f);
   printf("Found data for board #%d\n", th.board_serial_number);

   // read time bin widths
   memset(bin_width, sizeof(bin_width), 0);
   for (ch=0 ; ch<5 ; ch++) {
      fread(hdr, sizeof(hdr), 1, f);
      if (hdr[0] != 'C') {
         // event header found
         fseek(f, -4, SEEK_CUR);
         break;
      }
      i = hdr[3] - '0' - 1;
      printf("Found timing calibration for channel #%d\n", i+1);
      fread(&bin_width[i][0], sizeof(float), 1024, f);
   }
   
   // initialize statistics
   ndt = 0;
   sumdt = sumdt2 = 0;
   
   // loop over all events in the data file
   for (n= 0 ; ; n++) {
      // read event header
      i = fread(&eh, sizeof(eh), 1, f);
      if (i < 1)
         break;
      
      printf("Found event #%d\n", eh.event_serial_number);
      
      // reach channel data
      for (ch=0 ; ch<5 ; ch++) {
         i = fread(hdr, sizeof(hdr), 1, f);
         if (i < 1)
            break;
         if (hdr[0] != 'C') {
            // event header found
            fseek(f, -4, SEEK_CUR);
            break;
         }
         chn_index = hdr[3] - '0' - 1;
         fread(voltage, sizeof(short), 1024, f);
         
         for (i=0 ; i<1024 ; i++) {
            // convert data to volts
            waveform[chn_index][i] = (voltage[i] / 65536. - 0.5);
            
            // calculate time for this cell
            for (j=0,time[chn_index][i]=0 ; j<i ; j++)
               time[chn_index][i] += bin_width[chn_index][(j+eh.trigger_cell) % 1024];
         }
      }
      
      
      // align cell #0 of all channels
      t1 = time[0][(1024-eh.trigger_cell) % 1024];
      for (ch=1 ; ch<4 ; ch++) {
         t2 = time[ch][(1024-eh.trigger_cell) % 1024];
         dt = t1 - t2;
         for (i=0 ; i<1024 ; i++)
            time[ch][i] += dt;
      }
      
      t1 = t2 = 0;
      threshold = 0.3;
      
      // find peak in channel 1 above threshold
      for (i=0 ; i<1022 ; i++)
         if (waveform[0][i] < threshold && waveform[0][i+1] >= threshold) {
            t1 = (threshold-waveform[0][i])/(waveform[0][i+1]-waveform[0][i])*(time[0][i+1]-time[0][i])+time[0][i];
            break;
         }
      
      // find peak in channel 2 above threshold
      for (i=0 ; i<1022 ; i++)
         if (waveform[1][i] < threshold && waveform[1][i+1] >= threshold) {
            t2 = (threshold-waveform[1][i])/(waveform[1][i+1]-waveform[1][i])*(time[1][i+1]-time[1][i])+time[1][i];
            break;
         }
      
      // calculate distance of peaks with statistics
      if (t1 > 0 && t2 > 0) {
         ndt++;
         dt = t2 - t1;
         sumdt += dt;
         sumdt2 += dt*dt;
      }
   }
   
   // print statistics
   printf("dT = %1.3lfns +- %1.1lfps\n", sumdt/ndt, 1000*sqrt(1.0/(ndt-1)*(sumdt2-1.0/ndt*sumdt*sumdt)));
   
   return 1;
}

  362   Wed Jul 30 17:05:38 2014 Stefan Rittdrsosc binary to cern ROOT file conversion

ChengMing Du wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Luka Pavelic wrote:

Thank you for your fast and very helpful replay.

I made it work with drsosc version 4 but with version 5 i am getting weird results. Is it possible that they changed binary formatting?

 

Yes, but this is documented in the evaluation board manual. You have to modify the script slightly. I will update it myself in about 2-3 weeks.

Cheers,

Stefan

 hi Stefan,can you update the code to convert binary to root for newest drsosc?Thanks.

See elog:361 

  365   Tue Aug 26 12:32:21 2014 Stefan Ritt10GSps on DRS4 Evm with delay cables

Martin Petriska wrote:

 Hi, I read its possible to use channels 2,4,6 to extend 200ns to 400ns (1024bins to 2048).

Is it possible to use same channels to double sampling rate with paralel feeding, one channel delayed by Ts/2, for 5,12GS/s is it cca 3cm delay cable?

 

Martin

In principle yes (you could split your signal externally and add some cable delay to one side), but it is not supported by the software. You would have to combine the data from the two channels yourself. But it won't help much. The analog bandwidth of the evaluation board is about 700 MHz. So sampling at 10 GSPS vs. 5 GSPS won't give you any additional information, since the highest frequencies in your signal will be only 700 MHz. You could as well take your 5 GSPS measurement and interpolate it with some sinc function to get exactly the same result. See here for details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittaker%E2%80%93Shannon_interpolation_formula 

  368   Fri Sep 12 13:00:04 2014 Stefan Rittsynchronizing two DRS4 evaluation boards readout with one computer

Dmitry Hits wrote:

 Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried to synchronize 2 (two) DRS4 evaluation boards readout by the same computer? I have read about some attempts on this board in the past, but I do not know if they have succeeded. If yes, could you share your experience and/or software.

Thank you very much,

Dmitry.

 

Please read the manual http://www.psi.ch/drs/DocumentationEN/manual_rev50.pdf page 25 where this is described in detail.

/Stefan

  370   Fri Sep 12 13:41:43 2014 Stefan Rittsynchronizing two DRS4 evaluation boards readout with one computer

Dmitry Hits wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Dmitry Hits wrote:

 Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried to synchronize 2 (two) DRS4 evaluation boards readout by the same computer? I have read about some attempts on this board in the past, but I do not know if they have succeeded. If yes, could you share your experience and/or software.

Thank you very much,

Dmitry.

 

Please read the manual http://www.psi.ch/drs/DocumentationEN/manual_rev50.pdf page 25 where this is described in detail.

/Stefan

 Hi Stefan,

 

Thank you for pointing me to the document. Does it apply only to version 5 of the board or can it be applied also to version 4 (which is the one I have)?

Dmitry

In principle it should also work with version 4, but I'm not sure how well the V4 software supports this. You might try the V5 software with your V4 boards.

/Stefan 

  372   Fri Sep 12 16:08:49 2014 Stefan Rittcompilation error for v5.0.2

Dmitry Hits wrote:

 Hi,

I am getting the following compilation error when trying to compile version 5.0.2 software:

src/DOFrame.cpp:617:14: error: invalid conversion from ‘char*’ to ‘wxChar {aka wchar_t}’ [-fpermissive]
 
I have wxWidgets v. 2.8.12 package on Fedora version 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64
 
Has anyone seen this before?
 
Thank you,
 
Dmitry 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full error report:

g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Wuninitialized -fno-strict-aliasing -Iinclude -I/usr/local/include -DOS_LINUX -DHAVE_USB -DHAVE_LIBUSB10 -DUSE_DRS_MUTEX -I/usr/lib64/wx/include/gtk

2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -c src/DOFrame.cpp
src/DOFrame.cpp: In member function ‘void DOFrame::LoadConfig(char*, int)’:
src/DOFrame.cpp:617:14: error: invalid conversion from ‘char*’ to ‘wxChar {aka wchar_t}’ [-fpermissive]
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/memory.h:16:0,
                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/object.h:20,
                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/wx.h:16,
                 from include/DRSOscInc.h:9,
                 from src/DOFrame.cpp:9:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:1413:13: error:   initializing argument 1 of ‘wxString& wxString::operator+=(wxChar)’ [-fpermissive]

I don't get this error under gcc 4.4.7, so I guess you have a newer version. Each one becomes more picky. Just try to replace

str += filename; 

with

str += (wxString) filename;

in line 617 of DOFrame.cpp

/Stefan

 

  375   Mon Sep 22 14:52:21 2014 Stefan Rittcompilation error for v5.0.2

Dmitry Hits wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Dmitry Hits wrote:

 Hi,

I am getting the following compilation error when trying to compile version 5.0.2 software:

src/DOFrame.cpp:617:14: error: invalid conversion from ‘char*’ to ‘wxChar {aka wchar_t}’ [-fpermissive]
 
I have wxWidgets v. 2.8.12 package on Fedora version 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64
 
Has anyone seen this before?
 
Thank you,
 
Dmitry 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full error report:

g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Wuninitialized -fno-strict-aliasing -Iinclude -I/usr/local/include -DOS_LINUX -DHAVE_USB -DHAVE_LIBUSB10 -DUSE_DRS_MUTEX -I/usr/lib64/wx/include/gtk

2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -c src/DOFrame.cpp
src/DOFrame.cpp: In member function ‘void DOFrame::LoadConfig(char*, int)’:
src/DOFrame.cpp:617:14: error: invalid conversion from ‘char*’ to ‘wxChar {aka wchar_t}’ [-fpermissive]
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/memory.h:16:0,
                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/object.h:20,
                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/wx.h:16,
                 from include/DRSOscInc.h:9,
                 from src/DOFrame.cpp:9:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:1413:13: error:   initializing argument 1 of ‘wxString& wxString::operator+=(wxChar)’ [-fpermissive]

I don't get this error under gcc 4.4.7, so I guess you have a newer version. Each one becomes more picky. Just try to replace

str += filename; 

with

str += (wxString) filename;

in line 617 of DOFrame.cpp

/Stefan

 

Hi Stefan,

 

Unfortunately that did not work and from suggestions in the error I do see a good solution:

----------------------------

src/DOFrame.cpp: In member function ‘void DOFrame::LoadConfig(char*, int)’:

src/DOFrame.cpp:617:25: error: call of overloaded ‘wxString(char [1024])’ is ambiguous

src/DOFrame.cpp:617:25: note: candidates are:

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:722:3: note: wxString::wxString(const wxWCharBuffer&) <near match>

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:722:3: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘char [1024]’ to ‘const wxWCharBuffer&’

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:692:3: note: wxString::wxString(wxChar, size_t) <near match>

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:692:3: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘char [1024]’ to ‘wxChar {aka wchar_t}’

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:690:3: note: wxString::wxString(const wxString&) <near match>

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:690:3: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘char [1024]’ to ‘const wxString&’

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:682:3: note: wxString::wxString(int) <near match>

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:682:3: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘char [1024]’ to ‘int’

---------------------------------

 

let me know if you see one.

 

Thank you,

 

Dmitry.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Full error:

++ -g -O2 -Wall -Wuninitialized -fno-strict-aliasing -Iinclude -I/usr/local/include -DOS_LINUX -DHAVE_USB -DHAVE_LIBUSB10 -DUSE_DRS_MUTEX -I/usr/lib64/wx/include/gtk

2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -c src/DOFrame.cpp

src/DOFrame.cpp: In member function ‘void DOFrame::LoadConfig(char*, int)’:

src/DOFrame.cpp:617:14: error: invalid conversion from ‘char*’ to ‘wxChar {aka wchar_t}’ [-fpermissive]

In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/memory.h:16:0,

                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/object.h:20,

                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/wx.h:16,

                 from include/DRSOscInc.h:9,

                 from src/DOFrame.cpp:9:

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:1413:13: error:   initializing argument 1 of ‘wxString& wxString::operator+=(wxChar)’ [-fpermissive]

[dmitry@kitkat ~]$ more error-drs4v5_2

g++ -g -O2 -Wall -Wuninitialized -fno-strict-aliasing -Iinclude -I/usr/local/include -DOS_LINUX -DHAVE_USB -DHAVE_LIBUSB10 -DUSE_DRS_MUTEX -I/usr/lib64/wx/include/gtk

2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread -c src/DOFrame.cpp

src/DOFrame.cpp: In member function ‘void DOFrame::LoadConfig(char*, int)’:

src/DOFrame.cpp:617:25: error: call of overloaded ‘wxString(char [1024])’ is ambiguous

src/DOFrame.cpp:617:25: note: candidates are:

In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/memory.h:16:0,

                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/object.h:20,

                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/wx.h:16,

                 from include/DRSOscInc.h:9,

                 from src/DOFrame.cpp:9:

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:722:3: note: wxString::wxString(const wxWCharBuffer&) <near match>

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:722:3: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘char [1024]’ to ‘const wxWCharBuffer&’

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:692:3: note: wxString::wxString(wxChar, size_t) <near match>

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:692:3: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘char [1024]’ to ‘wxChar {aka wchar_t}’

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:690:3: note: wxString::wxString(const wxString&) <near match>

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:690:3: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘char [1024]’ to ‘const wxString&’

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:682:3: note: wxString::wxString(int) <near match>

/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:682:3: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘char [1024]’ to ‘int’

make: *** [DOFrame.o] Error 1 

I just tried with the current Ubuntu version (gcc version 4.8.2, wxWidgets 3.0.1) and it worked without any problem. So please upgrade to wxWidgets 3.0.1

/Stefan

  376   Mon Sep 22 15:04:37 2014 Stefan RittTiming Calibration Fail

Hannes Wachter wrote:

Hi,

has anyone experienced a shutdown of the DRSosc.exe or DRScl.exe when executing a Timing Calibration? Also, when we add the command b->CalibrateTiming(NULL); to the drs_exam.cpp and run the exe, our program shuts down immediately and windows shows an error message (identical to DRSosc and DRScl).

Any help is appreciated.

 

Actually there is no need to call b->CalibrateTiming() at all from drs_exam.cpp. The timing calibration, once executed, will remain valid over a wide temperature range and for very long time (years), so no need to redo it over and over again.

/Stefan 

  378   Mon Oct 13 16:46:56 2014 Stefan RittUSB Microcontroller firmware

Stephane Debieux wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to recompile the USB microcontroller firmware starting from the drs_eval.c file but I'm not able to get a .iic file close to the one provided with the eval board. It seems to me that this drs_eval.iic file does not match the drs_eval.c and drs_eval.hex files or that I'm doing something wrong. Could you please help or give me an explanation.

Thank you.

Stephane

 

I did not touch the firmware since a couple of years, but I can confirm that the drs_eval.iic is the correct firmware file, since we use this one on all of our boards. To program it, you need the Cypress USB Console. You remove the jumper (to detach the EEPROM), then power the board (which then boots from the internal memory), connect to the board via the Cypress console, the put back the jumper while the board is running, then program the file into the EEPROM.

Best,
Stefan 

  380   Mon Oct 13 17:14:58 2014 Stefan RittUSB Microcontroller firmware

Stephane Debieux wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Stephane Debieux wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to recompile the USB microcontroller firmware starting from the drs_eval.c file but I'm not able to get a .iic file close to the one provided with the eval board. It seems to me that this drs_eval.iic file does not match the drs_eval.c and drs_eval.hex files or that I'm doing something wrong. Could you please help or give me an explanation.

Thank you.

Stephane

 

I did not touch the firmware since a couple of years, but I can confirm that the drs_eval.iic is the correct firmware file, since we use this one on all of our boards. To program it, you need the Cypress USB Console. You remove the jumper (to detach the EEPROM), then power the board (which then boots from the internal memory), connect to the board via the Cypress console, the put back the jumper while the board is running, then program the file into the EEPROM.

Best,
Stefan 

 Thank you Stefan.

Would that be possible to get the corresponding drs_eval.c source file since I'm assuming the one provided with the eval board is not the right one?

Thank you.

Stephane

There is only one drs_eval.c version around, and I confirm that it is the one in the distribution. If you use different compiler settings, like optimisations, you might get a different executable file (and thus a .iic file), but the files have the same functionality.

Stefan 

  382   Tue Oct 14 16:29:12 2014 Stefan RittUSB Microcontroller firmware

Stephane Debieux wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Stephane Debieux wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Stephane Debieux wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to recompile the USB microcontroller firmware starting from the drs_eval.c file but I'm not able to get a .iic file close to the one provided with the eval board. It seems to me that this drs_eval.iic file does not match the drs_eval.c and drs_eval.hex files or that I'm doing something wrong. Could you please help or give me an explanation.

Thank you.

Stephane

 

I did not touch the firmware since a couple of years, but I can confirm that the drs_eval.iic is the correct firmware file, since we use this one on all of our boards. To program it, you need the Cypress USB Console. You remove the jumper (to detach the EEPROM), then power the board (which then boots from the internal memory), connect to the board via the Cypress console, the put back the jumper while the board is running, then program the file into the EEPROM.

Best,
Stefan 

 Thank you Stefan.

Would that be possible to get the corresponding drs_eval.c source file since I'm assuming the one provided with the eval board is not the right one?

Thank you.

Stephane

There is only one drs_eval.c version around, and I confirm that it is the one in the distribution. If you use different compiler settings, like optimisations, you might get a different executable file (and thus a .iic file), but the files have the same functionality.

Stefan 

I'm very sorry to insist but if I take the .hex of the distribution, convert it to .iic using the hex2bix utility, and reprogram the board, I can't read the board correctly (invalid magic number read with drscl for instance). Also, when using the uVision2 project file you provide and compiling the drs_eval.c, I get the same result  (i.e. no way to generate a functional .iic file starting from the sources). So, either I'm doing something wrong (and I don't know what) or the drs_eval.c is not the correct one.

And what happens if you program the .iic file from the distribution? 

  384   Tue Oct 14 16:38:14 2014 Stefan RittUSB Microcontroller firmware

Stephane Debieux wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Stephane Debieux wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Stephane Debieux wrote:

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Stephane Debieux wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to recompile the USB microcontroller firmware starting from the drs_eval.c file but I'm not able to get a .iic file close to the one provided with the eval board. It seems to me that this drs_eval.iic file does not match the drs_eval.c and drs_eval.hex files or that I'm doing something wrong. Could you please help or give me an explanation.

Thank you.

Stephane

 

I did not touch the firmware since a couple of years, but I can confirm that the drs_eval.iic is the correct firmware file, since we use this one on all of our boards. To program it, you need the Cypress USB Console. You remove the jumper (to detach the EEPROM), then power the board (which then boots from the internal memory), connect to the board via the Cypress console, the put back the jumper while the board is running, then program the file into the EEPROM.

Best,
Stefan 

 Thank you Stefan.

Would that be possible to get the corresponding drs_eval.c source file since I'm assuming the one provided with the eval board is not the right one?

Thank you.

Stephane

There is only one drs_eval.c version around, and I confirm that it is the one in the distribution. If you use different compiler settings, like optimisations, you might get a different executable file (and thus a .iic file), but the files have the same functionality.

Stefan 

I'm very sorry to insist but if I take the .hex of the distribution, convert it to .iic using the hex2bix utility, and reprogram the board, I can't read the board correctly (invalid magic number read with drscl for instance). Also, when using the uVision2 project file you provide and compiling the drs_eval.c, I get the same result  (i.e. no way to generate a functional .iic file starting from the sources). So, either I'm doing something wrong (and I don't know what) or the drs_eval.c is not the correct one.

And what happens if you program the .iic file from the distribution? 

It works as expected.

 Then why don't you use the .iic file and forget about the hex and c files? Honestly speaking, I don't remember what source file I compiled a couple of years ago, and it could be that an older file slipped into the repository, but that's all I have. I would have to investigate myself, try to compile and program the c file, do the debugging, and find out what the differences are. But unfortunately I don't have time for that right now. So just stick with the .iic file.

  387   Wed Oct 15 10:52:58 2014 Stefan RittClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Simon Weingarten wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently working on a little DAQ system with four DRS evaluation boards. Do i need to apply any specific settings when using the clock in/out connectors for synchronization? I do not see anything like that in the drs_exam_multi example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Simon

Right, I did not yet put any code there. What you need on all slave boards is

b->SetRefclk(true);

b->SetFrequency(...);

Set SetFrequency() is needed to restart the boards with the external clock.

This works of course only if you have the clock signals connected as written in the manual. If not, the boards won't work after you switch the reference clock.

Best regards,
Stefan 

  389   Wed Oct 15 12:15:58 2014 Stefan RittClock settings in daisy chain DAQ

Here is the full version of the program with clock daisy-chaining. Before switching to the external clock, it checks if the clock really is there (by reading an internal scaler), and only then enables it. Note that the code also works without clock daisy-chaining. But without clock daisy-chaining your have some 400 ps time resolution between boards, and with clock daisy-chaining you get some 60 ps.

Attachment 1: drs_exam_multi.cpp
/********************************************************************\

  Name:         drs_exam_multi.cpp
  Created by:   Stefan Ritt

  Contents:     Simple example application to read out a several
                DRS4 evaluation board in daisy-chain mode

  $Id: drs_exam_multi.cpp 21509 2014-10-15 10:11:36Z ritt $

\********************************************************************/

#include <math.h>

#ifdef _MSC_VER

#include <windows.h>

#elif defined(OS_LINUX)

#define O_BINARY 0

#include <unistd.h>
#include <ctype.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <errno.h>

#define DIR_SEPARATOR '/'

#endif

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#include "strlcpy.h"
#include "DRS.h"

/*------------------------------------------------------------------*/

int main()
{
   int i, j, k;
   DRS *drs;
   DRSBoard *b, *mb;
   float time_array[8][1024];
   float wave_array[8][1024];
   FILE  *f;

   /* do initial scan, sort boards accordning to their serial numbers */
   drs = new DRS();
   drs->SortBoards();

   /* show any found board(s) */
   for (i=0 ; i<drs->GetNumberOfBoards() ; i++) {
      b = drs->GetBoard(i);
      printf("Found DRS4 evaluation board, serial #%d, firmware revision %d\n", 
         b->GetBoardSerialNumber(), b->GetFirmwareVersion());
      if (b->GetBoardType() < 8) {
         printf("Found pre-V4 board, aborting\n");
         return 0;
      }
   }
   
   /* exit if no board found */
   if (drs->GetNumberOfBoards() == 0) {
      printf("No DRS4 evaluation board found\n");
      return 0;
   }

   /* exit if only one board found */
   if (drs->GetNumberOfBoards() == 1) {
      printf("Only one DRS4 evaluation board found, please use drs_exam program\n");
      return 0;
   }
   
   /* use first board with highest serial number as the master board */
   mb = drs->GetBoard(0);
   
   /* common configuration for all boards */
   for (i=0 ; i<drs->GetNumberOfBoards() ; i++) {
      b = drs->GetBoard(i);
      
      /* initialize board */
      b->Init();
      
      /* select external reference clock for slave modules */
      /* NOTE: this only works if the clock chain is connected */
      if (i > 0) {
         if (b->GetFirmwareVersion() >= 21260) { // this only works with recent firmware versions
            if (b->GetScaler(5) > 300000)        // check if external clock is connected
               b->SetRefclk(true);               // switch to external reference clock
         }
      }
      
      /* set sampling frequency */
      b->SetFrequency(5, true);
      
      /* set input range to -0.5V ... +0.5V */
      b->SetInputRange(0);

      /* enable hardware trigger */
      b->EnableTrigger(1, 0);
      
      if (i == 0) {
         /* master board: enable hardware trigger on CH1 at 50 mV positive edge */
         b->SetTranspMode(1);
         b->SetTriggerSource(1<<0);        // set CH1 as source
         b->SetTriggerLevel(0.05);         // 50 mV
         b->SetTriggerPolarity(false);     // positive edge
         b->SetTriggerDelayNs(0);          // zero ns trigger delay
      } else {
         /* slave boards: enable hardware trigger on Trigger IN */
         b->SetTriggerSource(1<<4);        // set Trigger IN as source
         b->SetTriggerPolarity(false);     // positive edge
      }
   }

   /* open file to save waveforms */
   f = fopen("data.txt", "w");
   if (f == NULL) {
      perror("ERROR: Cannot open file \"data.txt\"");
      return 1;
   }
   
   /* repeat ten times */
   for (i=0 ; i<10 ; i++) {

      /* start boards (activate domino wave), master is last */
      for (j=drs->GetNumberOfBoards()-1 ; j>=0 ; j--)
         drs->GetBoard(j)->StartDomino();

      /* wait for trigger on master board */
      printf("Waiting for trigger...");
      fflush(stdout);
      while (mb->IsBusy());

      fprintf(f, "Event #%d =====================================================\n", j);

      for (j=0 ; j<drs->GetNumberOfBoards() ; j++) {
         b = drs->GetBoard(j);
         if (b->IsBusy()) {
            i--; /* skip that event, must be some fake trigger */
            break;
         }
         
         /* read all waveforms from all boards */
         b->TransferWaves(0, 8);
         
         for (k=0 ; k<4 ; k++) {
            /* read time (X) array in ns */
            b->GetTime(0, k*2, b->GetTriggerCell(0), time_array[k]);

            /* decode waveform (Y) arrays in mV */
            b->GetWave(0, k*2, wave_array[k]);
         }

         /* Save waveform: X=time_array[i], Channel_n=wave_array[n][i] */
         fprintf(f, "Board #%d ---------------------------------------------------\n t1[ns]  u1[mV]  t2[ns]  u2[mV]  t3[ns]  u3[mV]  t4[ns]  u4[mV]\n", b->GetBoardSerialNumber());
         for (k=0 ; k<1024 ; k++)
            fprintf(f, "%7.3f %7.1f %7.3f %7.1f %7.3f %7.1f %7.3f %7.1f\n",
                    time_array[0][k], wave_array[0][k],
                    time_array[1][k], wave_array[1][k],
                    time_array[2][k], wave_array[2][k],
                    time_array[3][k], wave_array[3][k]);
      }

      /* print some progress indication */
      printf("\rEvent #%d read successfully\n", i);
   }

   fclose(f);
   
   printf("Program finished.\n");

   /* delete DRS object -> close USB connection */
   delete drs;
}
ELOG V3.1.4-80633ba