DRS4 Forum
  DRS4 Discussion Forum, Page 36 of 40  Not logged in ELOG logo
ID Date Authorup Subject
  514   Wed Apr 27 08:14:14 2016 Toshihiro Nonakaserial number problem

Dear all,

I'm using 3 DRS boards simultaneously and their serial numbers are 2169, 2170, 2172 respectively.

Recently however,  I obtain serial number "0" by DRSBoard::GetBoardSerialNumber() for #2172 board.

Data taking can be done without any problems, but I'd like to know what is happening.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Toshihiro Nonaka

  516   Wed Apr 27 09:51:37 2016 Toshihiro Nonakaserial number problem

The serial number has been fixed by using drscl. Thank you!

Stefan Ritt wrote:

If dis- and reconnecting the board does not help, there is the (small) chance that the serial number got erased in the board. You can re-set it with the "drscl" command line tool:

$ drscl
Found DRS4 board 0 on USB, serial #0, firmware revision 21305
B0> serial 2172

 

Toshihiro Nonaka wrote:

Dear all,

I'm using 3 DRS boards simultaneously and their serial numbers are 2169, 2170, 2172 respectively.

Recently however,  I obtain serial number "0" by DRSBoard::GetBoardSerialNumber() for #2172 board.

Data taking can be done without any problems, but I'd like to know what is happening.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Toshihiro Nonaka

 

 

  623   Wed Jul 12 04:24:39 2017 Toshihiro NonakaTime resolution between boards

Hello,

I 'm using four evaluation boards v.3 to construct the multi-board DAQ system. One channel for each board is used as reference clock, then calibrate timing offline, which allow below 10ps resolution between boards.

Is it possible to keep the time resolution between boards below 10ps in daisy-chain mode with v.5 boards?

Thank you in adcance.

Best regards,

Toshihiro Nonaka

  651   Wed Jan 17 09:51:16 2018 Tran Cong ThienThe input signals recorded are different with the signal showed in oscilloscope

Dear Stefan,

I am using an DRS4 board to record the signals from an plastic scintillator detector. It was working really good, yet a few day ago the signals became "not right". When I checked the signal using an oscilloscope it show the normal signals previously recorded. The signal amplitude are clearly reduced (from 0.3 in oscilloscope to lower than 0.1 in DRS4). Can you show me how to show this problem?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Thien 

  360   Wed Jul 30 11:38:58 2014 Tsutomu NagayoshiSampling speed of DRS4 Board ver4

 Hello!

I have a question concerning the sampling speed of the DRS4 evaluation board.

It is written in the manual that the sampling speed of  DRS4 Evaluation Board is supported above 0.7 GHz.

However I was able to set the sampling speed to be 0.5 GHz with the function DRSBpard::SetFrequency(0.5)  and realized that DRSBoard::GetTime function fills time array in every 2 ns.

I am wondering if the data taken with 0.5 GHz sampling is reliable or not.

 

Best regards,

Tsutomu Nagayoshi

 

 

  586   Tue Jan 31 01:37:35 2017 VO HONG HAILLD and ULD discriminations,
Dear Stefan, Is there any way to develop LLD and ULD discrimination in DSR-4 evaluation board? Best regards, V.H.Hai
  633   Tue Oct 17 14:58:58 2017 Vadym DenysenkoTime offset

Hello.

 

I have a simple question, can I set SetTriggerDelayNs() more than 1631 ns?

I need to set this delay to about 5 us... Can I do this? 

 

Thank you in advance! 

 

With best regards, 

Vadym

  635   Wed Oct 18 11:48:14 2017 Vadym DenysenkoTime offset

Thank you for your reply!

Stefan Ritt wrote:

No this is not possible. But you can delay your signal externally (like with a delay cable or electronically) and then send the dealyed signal to the evaluation board for triggering.

Stefan

Vadym Denysenko wrote:

Hello.

 

I have a simple question, can I set SetTriggerDelayNs() more than 1631 ns?

I need to set this delay to about 5 us... Can I do this? 

 

Thank you in advance! 

 

With best regards, 

Vadym

 

 

  625   Thu Jul 20 13:00:44 2017 Volodymyr RodinDriver installation on Windows 10

Dear Laura

You need to disable driver signature enforcement.  Then try again with path option.

 It helped me.

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-drivers/how-to-disable-driver-signature-enforcement-on-windows-10-8-7-xp-vista.html

Best regards,

Volodymyr

Laura Gonella wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to get a DRS4 board to run on Windows 10. I am having problems with the driver installation. I am getting the follwoing message

"There is no driver selected for the device information set or element"

I had specified the path to look for the driver as C:\ProgramFilesx86\DRS\driver\. I also tried the option to look online for the driver. None works. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Laura

 

  626   Fri Jul 21 09:16:02 2017 Volodymyr RodinTime output

Hello Stefan

I tried to convert binary to a simple txt file and found next problem - strange time output.

Here is output from little modification for read_binary.cpp (Its last output line also is strange: dT = -1.#IOns +- -1.$ps)

Found data for board #0
Found timing calibration for channel #1
Found boards#  1
     event    channel   waveform       time      point
         1          0  -0.000092   0.000000          0
         1          0   0.030548   0.000000          1
         1          0   0.059418   0.000000          2
         1          0   0.080200   0.000000          3
         1          0   0.094223   0.000000          4
         1          0   0.097702   0.000000          5
         1          0   0.094055   0.000000          6
         1          0   0.079117   0.000000          7
         1          0   0.060364   0.000000          8
         1          0   0.030960   0.000000          9
         1          0   0.000504   0.000000         10
         1          0  -0.031555   0.000000         11
         1          0  -0.057465   0.000000         12
         1          0  -0.080536   0.000000         13
         1          0  -0.095413   0.000000         14
         1          0  -0.099365   0.000000         15

I used output string in the following places, but it didn't help:

// reach channel data

:for (i=0 ; i<1024 ; i++) {
               // convert data to volts
               waveform[0][chn_index][i] = (voltage[i] / 65536. + eh.range/1000.0 - 0.5);
               // calculate time for this cell
               for (j=0,time[b][chn_index][i]=0 ; j<i ; j++)
                  time[b][chn_index][i] += bin_width[b][chn_index][(j+tch.trigger_cell) % 1024];

printf("%10d %10d %10f %10f %10d\n", eh.event_serial_number , chn_index , waveform[0][chn_index][i]  ,  time[0][chn_index][i]  , i);

And after alignment procedure:

t1 = time[b][0][(1024-tch.trigger_cell) % 1024];
         for (chn=1 ; chn<4 ; chn++) {
            t2 = time[b][chn][(1024-tch.trigger_cell) % 1024];
            dt = t1 - t2;
            for (i=0 ; i<1024 ; i++)
               time[b][chn][i] += dt;

printf("%10d %10d %10f %10f %10d\n", eh.event_serial_number , chn_index , waveform[0][chn_index][i]  ,  time[0][chn][i]  , i);
         }

Does it caused by some software or drivers changes?

Best regards,

Volodymyr

 

 

 

 

  627   Tue Jul 25 14:47:05 2017 Volodymyr RodinTime output

Hi again.

Okay, it works with 5.05 version very good and it is enough for me.

Besides,

What do I need to fix in this code for 2048 board?

Best wishes,

Volodymyr

Volodymyr Rodin wrote:

Hello Stefan

I tried to convert binary to a simple txt file and found next problem - strange time output.

Here is output from little modification for read_binary.cpp (Its last output line also is strange: dT = -1.#IOns +- -1.$ps)

Found data for board #0
Found timing calibration for channel #1
Found boards#  1
     event    channel   waveform       time      point
         1          0  -0.000092   0.000000          0
         1          0   0.030548   0.000000          1
         1          0   0.059418   0.000000          2
         1          0   0.080200   0.000000          3
         1          0   0.094223   0.000000          4
         1          0   0.097702   0.000000          5
         1          0   0.094055   0.000000          6
         1          0   0.079117   0.000000          7
         1          0   0.060364   0.000000          8
         1          0   0.030960   0.000000          9
         1          0   0.000504   0.000000         10
         1          0  -0.031555   0.000000         11
         1          0  -0.057465   0.000000         12
         1          0  -0.080536   0.000000         13
         1          0  -0.095413   0.000000         14
         1          0  -0.099365   0.000000         15

I used output string in the following places, but it didn't help:

// reach channel data

:for (i=0 ; i<1024 ; i++) {
               // convert data to volts
               waveform[0][chn_index][i] = (voltage[i] / 65536. + eh.range/1000.0 - 0.5);
               // calculate time for this cell
               for (j=0,time[b][chn_index][i]=0 ; j<i ; j++)
                  time[b][chn_index][i] += bin_width[b][chn_index][(j+tch.trigger_cell) % 1024];

printf("%10d %10d %10f %10f %10d\n", eh.event_serial_number , chn_index , waveform[0][chn_index][i]  ,  time[0][chn_index][i]  , i);

And after alignment procedure:

t1 = time[b][0][(1024-tch.trigger_cell) % 1024];
         for (chn=1 ; chn<4 ; chn++) {
            t2 = time[b][chn][(1024-tch.trigger_cell) % 1024];
            dt = t1 - t2;
            for (i=0 ; i<1024 ; i++)
               time[b][chn][i] += dt;

printf("%10d %10d %10f %10f %10d\n", eh.event_serial_number , chn_index , waveform[0][chn_index][i]  ,  time[0][chn][i]  , i);
         }

Does it caused by some software or drivers changes?

Best regards,

Volodymyr

 

 

 

 

 

  336   Wed Apr 16 03:22:43 2014 Wang why is the first channel output error?

 Hi,

 The diagram below is DRS4 output. Green is the output8+, blue is the output8-. Output8+ of the first channel is below  the baseline. It is not  right.

Others channel  is suitable. I check the circuit , Hardware is no problem, so I want to konw where the FPGA code  is wrong. what reason is caused? Thanks!

  340   Thu Apr 17 12:02:28 2014 Wang The first channel is wrong.

 Hi,

   I want to describe this phenomenon again. The diagram below is DRS4 output. There is no input signal. Green is the output8+, blue is the output8-. Output8+ of the first channel is below  the baseline. The output is saturation when input ADC. It is not right, and what is it  in front of the first channel? It seemed there are two channels.  Others channel  is suitable. I check the circuit , Hardware is no problem, so I want to konw where the FPGA code  is wrong. What reason is caused? Can anyone help me to solve the problem? Thanks!

  447   Tue Nov 3 22:37:56 2015 Will FlanaganLatest macro for DRS4 V5

Hi DRS4 Experts,

I have an extremely naive question: Is there any official macro to unpack the DRS4 binary files? All I am looking to do is to plot a few of my waveforms and manipulate them in root. I am using OSX 10.10 and ROOT 5.34.

Thanks in advance,

Will

  448   Tue Nov 3 23:15:38 2015 Will FlanaganLatest macro for DRS4 V5

I should of course mention that I looked through the DRS4 website and didn't see anything obvious: https://www.psi.ch/drs/evaluation-board

Thanks,

Will

Will Flanagan wrote:

Hi DRS4 Experts,

I have an extremely naive question: Is there any official macro to unpack the DRS4 binary files? All I am looking to do is to plot a few of my waveforms and manipulate them in root. I am using OSX 10.10 and ROOT 5.34.

Thanks in advance,

Will

 

  450   Thu Nov 5 00:18:42 2015 Will FlanaganLatest macro for DRS4 V5

Hi Stefan,

This is absolutely perfect.

Thanks,

Will

Stefan Ritt wrote:

Have a look here: elog:361

 

Will Flanagan wrote:

Hi DRS4 Experts,

I have an extremely naive question: Is there any official macro to unpack the DRS4 binary files? All I am looking to do is to plot a few of my waveforms and manipulate them in root. I am using OSX 10.10 and ROOT 5.34.

Thanks in advance,

Will

 

 

  539   Wed Oct 5 22:43:29 2016 Will FlanaganTimestamp for each DRS4 waveform

Hi DRS4 Experts,

I have been analyzing DRS4 binary data with scripts based on Stefan's (very helpful!) macro:

https://midas.psi.ch/elogs/DRS4+Forum/361

I would now like to look at the stability of my waveforms over a long period of time. In order to do this, I would need a timestamp encoded with each waveform. Are there timestamps within default DRS4 binary data? If so, does anyone have sample code for extracting them?

Best Regards,

Will

  541   Thu Oct 6 15:23:18 2016 Will Flanagan 

Hi Stefan,

That is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again!

Will

  668   Wed Mar 14 00:38:15 2018 Will Flanagansub-ms precision timestamps?

Dear DRS4 community,

Is there a way to extract timestamps with sub-ms precision? The milliseconds of an event is clearly given when unpacking the header. I would like to determine how far apart events are when they are within the same millisecond.

Thanks,

Will

  746   Wed Mar 6 10:09:01 2019 Willy Changdrscl "no board found" in some Win7 or Win8.X PCs

Hi all, 

When connecting the board and running the Zadig program, some Windows PCs may return "driver installation failed." I coudn't find the solution from their download website. So I started the drscl first. Apparently it shows: Successfully scanned, but no boards found. Therefore I checked the Device Manager. A breakdown warning triangle appears under the serial port...

The possible solution may be found here.

Infact, the WinUsb driver has been in existence in your PC. One can just follow the instructions here: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/winusb-installation 

  1. Plug in your device to the host system.
  2. Open Device Manager and locate the device.
  3. Right-click the device and select Update driver software... from the context menu.
  4. In the wizard, select Browse my computer for driver software.
  5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  6. From the list of device classes, select Universal Serial Bus devices.
  7. The wizard displays WinUsb Device. Select it to load the driver.

In the wizard, somehow the default setting displays Microsoft Device on the Top of the list and replaced the WinUsb Device. You can easily re-load the WinUsb Device. Just ignore the WARNING from the device manager. The board should work fine now. 

Willy

ELOG V3.1.4-80633ba